Breeding from a 'runt' Discussions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by SciFiSi, Jan 10, 2020.

1. SciFiSi

SciFiSi New Member

Name:
    Simon Christopher

Breeding from a 'runt'

I've already posted this in the Pomeranian section, but on 2nd thoughts it's quite a general question, so I'm 'cut n pasting' it here....
    Hello, I'm looking for advice and I'm starting here. My 1st post so, Hello, my name is Simon, I'm from the UK, near Blackpool. I own a female Pomeranian, she's 4 yrs old and no health problems. I do fancy the idea of her having pups and was recently chatting to some people in the park who owned a male Pom. They, similar to myself want to have pups from their male, he's 3yrs old and very small, they told me he'd had heart problems and at one point lost a lot of hair and weight. He was looking a lot better and had regained all his hair, but he's still a very small Pom, half the size of my girl. Any way, my question is, is it advisable to breed from a male 'runt'? I'm clueless as to whether the 'runtiness' is genetic or it's the pup that didn't feed or got push out by the other pups, but knowing that Pom's have small litters I can't see that being an issue. The fact the male has had heart issues worries me slightly.
    Thanks in advance for any sensible advice.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I don’t know anything about pom’s, but I would say that male should not be breed. The heart issue could be passed on, and if he’s half the size of your female, he’s obviously well below breed standards, which is what you are looking for when breeding. Also has your dog had all the breed specific health tests to make sure that she’s a good dog to breed?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would not breed from a runt - and definitely not an animal which has had a heart defect. Although he may be generally better in himself, the defect will still be there, and could potentially be passed on. He may not be fit enough to complete the service either!
    A type of alopecia is another problem that this breed can suffer from. If you do your research the Pomeranian Club website is a reasonable place to start.
    If you are thinking of breeding, do make sure that her registration and transfer certificates are in order, and check whether there were any Kennel Club endorsements placed on there by her breeder.
    Check whether there are any dna heath tests that are required for this breed. Complete fontanelle closure, and secure patellas should be checked by a vet. The breed health co-ordinator would advise you.
    Take advice from a respected breeder over the choice of a stud dog. They will want to know your bitch's pedigree details to avoid your accidentally doubling up on any problem lines.
    If you decide to go ahead, don't leave it too long. Four is getting a little late for a tiny toydog's first litter. A lot to think about!
  5. SciFiSi

SciFiSi New Member

Name:
    Simon Christopher
    Thanks for your reply, I will be seeking veterinarian advice before I proceed with anything, she's far to precious to take any risks. :)
    I was leaning and agree that using this male would be an unnecessary risk.
    Thanks again
  6. SciFiSi

SciFiSi New Member

Name:
    Simon Christopher
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Wow, thanks for all your advice, I'm definitely going to go else where for a stud, I'd hate to have problems in the future that could have easily been avoided. Her mother is KC registered as she is is 'show dog' so I know I will be able to find the other information. and I will be seeking vets advice as she's way too precious to take any risks.
    Thanks again for all your info, it's really helped and pointed out things I'd not thought about.