Increasing drive Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Holly2020, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Holly2020

Holly2020 New Member

Name:
    Grace

Increasing drive

Hello, I recently rescued a 3-5 year old female Malinois from the meat trade in China. She is sweet with very low drive and I am having a challenging time getting her toy drive up. I've only had her two months and she is coming along well training wise. Any tips on how to increase toy/prey drive? I am working with a trainer and they have given me some tips, but I'm always open to new suggestions. I've always had high drive Mals, so it's just a learning curve for me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and Holly2020 like this.
    You could try using a flirt pole so that she has to chase the toy. Also you could try the two people trick - throw the toy between the two of you until her interest is really peaked then include her in the game.

However, don't try to force. Some dogs do go against breed expectations and if she simply doesn't get it, or doesn't want to get it, value her for the sweet girl she is.
  4. Holly2020

Holly2020 New Member

Name:
    Grace
    I don't mind if she ends up not having a toy drive, but she does show interest and carries them around the house so I'm thinking it's just because she has never had toys previously and doesn't know what to do with them. She will chase toys outside, but doesn't pick them up when tossed... she just runs after it and pounces on it then runs back.

I've been researching flirt poles and haven't found any that had good reviews for adult dogs. Do you have any brands your recommend? If not, I can always make my own. I'll definitely try to using two people as well.

I'm hoping to eventually find a sport that she shows interest in for the mental stimulation, but if not she will just remain a great exercise partner. Thank you for the advise!
  5. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
  6. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd go down the route of making your own. Very simple to make up.

You could also try agility with her if she's not interested in playing fetch. Agility stimulates both the mind and body. It may be something she'd like
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Chris like this.
    Poor girl probably lost all interest in play during those dreadful days in China. I'm sure that her true Mally temperament will win through in time. I like trick training for building confidence in new adult dogs. As all of the training is done in such tiny bites, and you are showering praise and tiny treats on any successful moves towards your goal, dogs find this very rewarding, and respond with enthusiasm.
    There is such a variety of moves and tricks that you can teach them, that they don't have chance to get bored. It is easy to shape, for example, touching an item to holding it, and then to carrying, retrieving or tugging on it. The possibilities are endless.