Out of control puppy Behaviour

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by KodatheFinnishbear, Feb 4, 2020.

1. KodatheFinnishbear

KodatheFinnishbear New Member

Name:
    Maikku

Out of control puppy

Hi everyone,

I am posting something because i am at lost right now.
    I have a 5 month old samoyed puppy and i love him so much. He is really nice and quiet inside the house, love to learn tricks, very much food motivated... Overall a pretty easy dog to live with...
    Expect when I take him outside, every singe time i take him for a walk (multiple times a day) he got crazy. He usually walk fine and suddenly comes behind me and starts biting my ankle and calf, then it escalate to biting my arms, thighs, hands and sometimes jumping to bite my face. At this point nothing i can say or do matters anymore, he doesn't care about treats, doesn't respond to any commands, i tried to turn my back at him but he doesn't stop, i said NO and STOP loud and clear but nothing worked...
    I am open to any suggestions because i have really badly bruised legs and i start to be anxious every time we have to go out.
    Thanks if anyone have suggestions!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    If you just stop dead, don't look at him and don't give him any eye contact, what does he do?
  4. KodatheFinnishbear

Name:
    Maikku
    He just keeps on biting me, no stopping. And because he bites strongly i can't stay still.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Has he always done this when you take him out or is it a recent thing, how many times a day do you take him for walks, and for how long/how far each time?

You say that you now start to be anxious every time you have to take him out - he is obviously picking up your anxiety and perhaps the biting is his way of telling you that he does not want to go out because he thinks it is unpleasant.
  6. KodatheFinnishbear

Name:
    Maikku
    Thanks for your reply,
    Behaviour started 1 months ago approximately i think. I take him out every 3hours for 15min at a time and one long walk (4km around).

I was thinking he get anxious as I get anxious so it's a bit of a vicious circle. I try to be calm and not lose my cool but sometimes it's really hard when he is biting and barking non stop for 1 or 2 km.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    who owns who and Chris like this.
    Teach and use a verbal NO,pause, then give him a toy and praise when he bites the toy, you could also try walking faster, do different turns and carry a toy to shove in his mouth as needed.

Also rather than keep walking him, try and break the habit by finding somewhere where you can sit with him and do some fun training.
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    It sounds like you might be over exercising him. The general rule is 5 minutes per month a day of walking, up to around a year old. Playing in the yard isn’t included
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris likes this.
    I also thought 4km was a bit excessive for a puppy.
    Even without the 5 min/month rule, sometimes long walks can be counterproductive.
    Better 10 minutes under control, than a !onger walk that just ends in a load of stress.
    Free running in a safe area is OK, as are searching games fror toys or treats, which might help to tire him mentally.
    Six months is a crazy age - neither a baby nor an adult. Stay calm and patient yourself, and reward any good behaviour he offers - you will get there.