Digestion Issues with GSP Puppy Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Melody McLerran, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Melody McLerran

Melody McLerran New Member

Name:
    Finley

Digestion Issues with GSP Puppy

Hello All,

We recently rescued a 4 month old GSP puppy. Since she was a rescue we have zero background on how she was being treated/living conditions/what she was being fed. We have been stuck in a cycle of having serious stomach/digestion issues.

We first had her on a grain free puppy food, however the vet immediately recommended we switch to a food with grains. She did ok with it at first and then had major digestion issues to the point that we had to do the chicken/rice/greek yogurt bland diet for several days. Once her stool normalized we slowly introduced the puppy food with the bland mix until we got back to 100% puppy food. Again she did ok for a few days and then back out of nowhere major digestion issues.

The puppy also has a serious issue with eating her own and other dogs stool and eating grass and weeds (although not to through up, just to consume).

Any recommendations from someone who may be familiar with digestion issues with this breed would be super helpful. We have a chocolate lab and never dealt with anything like this.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    How many meals are you breaking her food down into?

Perhaps try a salmon and potato dry food to see if this resolves the issues as it could be allergy related and this food is usually one that the dog hasn't had before.
  4. Smithy0119

Smithy0119 New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Im having the same problem with my frenchie someone has suggested its epi apparently gsd are prone to it. Symptoms are runny poo weight loss even though eating, eating there own poo etc an my frenchie got all that even though she on a bland diet. Its to do with the pancreas not being able to absorb nutrients from the food
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree with @Chris about breaking your puppy's food down into smaller portions. It might also be worth adding a probiotic to her meal - FortiFlora is a good one, but there are others. If you test different food products, do not make sudden changes. Swapping and changing can create further problems.
    I had the same problem when my elder Beagle came from rescue, aged 4.5 months. It finally resolved when our vet treated him for giardia. I'm not saying that this is what your puppy has, but may be worth considering if she doesn't improve.