How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    martinKing likes this.

How is everyone in the current situation?

As the elephant in the room can no longer be ignored, I hope that everyone is well and keeps well. And just like asking how the weather is like where you are, I just wondered if you are all managing with all the scare-mongering stories about shortages etc.

As I do not watch television I rely on what I read in online news reports, and cannot help but be concerned - not about myself but about all my Breedia friends, and this thread is just to keep in touch with everyone.

Juli & Tikva [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    No major problems around here Juli. Lots of gaps in the shop freezers - especially prepared Veggie items in our local supermarket - the worried well? No hand gel - but do we really need it if we have ample soap and water? Only the very largest packs of toilet tissue are missing in our local Aldi - so I can't understand why there has been a panic over that either. Lots of tales of profiteering, but little evidence of it. I am sorry for the unfortunate people who contract this virus, but as usual, the media are in a feeding frenzy, magnifying every detail!
    Maclaren have pulled out of the Australian Grand Prix, but Ferrari have dispatched a full team from Northern Italy. How do you make sense of that!
    Best to Just Keep Calm and Carry On Cuddling Your Dog.
    How are things in Israel?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Israel acted aggressively very quickly, what with quarantining what seems like half the country, closing incoming flights etc, and our media does not seem to be as hysterical as some of the international media is. As Amit said the other day when he brought my meds round, we are basically acting on a regular war-footing, only this involves a virus and not rockets.

Regarding the scaremongering media - tbh I do not know who or what to believe any more but I certainly am not panicking. I am virtually in permanent quarantine as it is being more-or-less housebound and the only difference has been not getting a hug from Amit. As if he has not got enough on his plate at the moment, what with his store and his clients, his voluntary first-responder and now his Home Front Command duties, he had to go and collect his son this afternoon as the poor lad has developed mononucleosis - he only started his army service in January and he is now back home for the duration.

Nothing seems different on the Moshav - deliveries arriving as usual at the macolet and I have not noticed a lack of customers, or people coming out with more than usual, but I have not been across there so this is just what I see from where I sit. I have always been fairly well stocked - it is general advice here to always keep enough food in case of emergencies. I have had a couple more online food orders and nothing seems to be rationed/limited so far. The Ninja said that the supermarkets are half empty as most people are now shopping online to keep away from crowds.

He has also instructed me that if I feel ill to not only press my emergency button but to press the SOS button on the little cellphone he gave me - day or night.

***this has just come through from The Jerusalem Post newspaper as I was typing***
    - - -
    Schools and universities are shuttering until at least after the Passover holiday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday as the number of Israelis infected with the coronavirus rose to 109 people. Only preschools, special education and youth-at-risk centers will remain open.
    - - -

I had better go and read the rest of it I suppose.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Just read that the Aussie GP is cancelled. It's going to be a boring Spring ...
  6. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Although there are less on the shelves here, you can pretty much get everything.

It seems to be worrying to everyone except our Government at the moment :(
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I wonder why your Government is like that Chris - we do not even have a government at the moment [after three elections in under a year we are back to square one yet again :rolleyes:] but at least things were shut down very quickly. I do not think I would like to be in England at the moment.
  8. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Shutting the schools and colleges down as from Monday here in France. No shortages in the supermarkets, usual amount of people doing their shopping so no panic buying...yet..
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Tonight the shelves in some stores were bare, people stocking up even heavier, but if you went to the more expensive grocery stores, pretty much everything was available. People’s energy really shifted in the past 24 hours here, it seemed palpable. Universities all across the country are suspending in person classes. Both my sisters sons will be back home for at least the next 3 weeks (she’s not particularly thrilled...). All sports leagues in the U.S have suspended games, colleges too. Besides the obvious health concerns, the economic loss for some people is terrible. People don’t won’t to go out to eat, or buy prepared food.. Restaurant and bar employees will suffer, along with all the part time employees at sports arenas across the county. The basketball team in San Francisco has 1500 employees per game. That’s just one team in one sport.

I had just parked to go into the 2nd store this evening and watched this guy picking his nose outside his car... and a few minutes later he was in the produce section a few feet away from me. He was basically well dressed, but mad bugger hands. This made it clear to me that I should always expect it to be filthy and unsterile any public store I go to.. Should always wash my hands or use sanitizer after shopping, before touching the steering wheel or gearshift
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Well what a bl##dy mess there is so many conflicting information that it’s hard to know exactly the best thing to do.
    So I am soldering on as usual and hoping for the best.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Shopping trollies have always worried me. I did once buy a box of wipes, but always felt it was OTT so stopped bothering to wipe, (Usually had hold of the trolley before remembering anyway). I think we are going to have to be a little more careful.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have always carried a small pack of wipes and a small bottle of get in the side pockets of my chair - not because of trolley handles as I never use them, just putting items in the bags I hang from Xanadu's handles - but because I hate getting my hands sticky and then transferring the ick onto the control pad and joystick. I am currently awaiting an order from Amazon which includes a small plastic box-like thing for wipes that is designed to be hung on the handle of a baby buggy, which I will hook over one of the arms to avoid the leaks that sometimes come from the wipe packets.

I also put things straight into my own bags - loose fruit and vegetables go in one, things from the dairy refrigerator in another, and so on and so forth. Why? I do not have a germ phobia but I honestly do not trust that everyone who had possibly handled these things before I pick them up is as health-conscious as I try to be. And I do wash f&v and everything else before putting them in the refrigerator, ditto tins and anything that go in my food cupboards.

Because I just do not want to be ill. Not just this new COVID-19 but from all the bugs that always seem to be going around. I am not worried about what goes on in my home, whatever dust is here will still be here tomorrow, but who knows what goes on behind other peoples' doors?
  14. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I think our Government will be advising us to have Corona Virus parties, akin to the chicken pox parties that parents thought were the right thing to do as kids :) .

Seriously, the lack of sensible precautions is beyond belief. While the rest of the World reacts, we are told to wash our hands and sing happy birthday twice. Crazy
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Plus keep showing pictures of how to wash your hands and saying to do it at least five times a day. Do people really have to be told how to wash their hands and how many times a day to do it?

When my son was at nursery school, the head called me in one morning when I went to collect him and said she thought he had a complex because he washed his hands much more often than the other children. She could not understand that a three-year-old would go to wash his hands without having to be reminded to do so, and that he knew how to do it as well without any help. :rolleyes:
  16. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Hope your OK Juli? Thinking of you during this difficult time! xXx
  17. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    It is beginning to move through America, wiping out some elderly people along the way. Probably about 2000 cases now and 50 deaths. Will get a lot worse.

It is in my state now too. Two people who returned from Italy brought it here. They were horrible about restricting travel and quarantining people returning from countries with bad outbreaks such as China, Italy, Germany etc. They just let sick people WALTZ onto crowded planes and crowded areas etc.

My job has declared that nobody has to work that doesn't feel it is safe to do so. So everyone is granted unlimited unpaid leave until further notice. If this requires the facility to have to shut down, so be it. Coronavirus is not to be trifled with.

Anybody who falls ill or has to be placed under quarantine will be paid for any missed work. Prices for hand sanitizer and masks etc has skyrocketed.

Trump is not helping and made things a lot worse by initially downplaying the severity of it. He declared a national emergency today, however. They are preparing for a horrible widespread outbreak.
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    @mjfromga, There is likely multiple times more people with this virus in the US, but because of the slow waking up to how serious this is, by our government, we are way behind in testing. Many people wanting to get tested have not been able too. I’m sure I’m not saying anything you don’t already know...
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think people must be panicking now as even though the stores are closed because it is Shabbat, online websites are still open, and as I have an order booked for Monday 6pm which I placed on Thursday, having the choice of 6pm tomorrow or Monday, choosing the latter as it will give me time to alter the order, I just went into the site to delete a couple of things and add something else. And the site went down just as I was confirming the changes.

Luckily it was back on a few minutes later, giving me time to complete the everything and it was immediately confirmed, but I wonder what is going to happen if the situation gets more disastrous.

https://ncov2019.live/data supposedly gives worldwide figures which are updated every few minutes.

I presume that the more people who avoid crowds even if they are not in quarantine, and the less crowded stores are, there might be less need for some staff actually in-store therefore more available to cope with all the extra online orders.

Maybe...
    However, I suppose it is a good thing that so many people are avoiding crowds even if they are able o out and are not quarantined, and presumably the fewer the people needing service in the stores, e ore staff should be available for the extra online deliveries.

20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Good link @Malka. One to watch.
    I think all major sporting events have zlready been postponed. The FA League football is off - but the juniors are still playing - and with minimal crowd support they are probably better off in the open air. Currently, our local canine society show is still going ahead next weekend - it is a new society, and their first ever Open show. I think the loss would finish them if it couldn't go ahead. The theatre's and cinema's arppear to still be open.
  21. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Been shopping Tesco wasn’t any busier than usual, plenty of hand sanitizer (half price) plenty loo rolls also, was couple of empty shelves but they were being stocked up didn’t see anybody going overboard.