Feeding a three month old jrt puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by denisse&dobby, Mar 24, 2020.

?

How many times a day should I feed my 3 month old JRT puppy?

1. 2 meals should be fine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3 meals should be fine

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. 4 meals should be fine

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. denisse&dobby

denisse&dobby New Member

Name:
    Denisse

Feeding a three month old jrt puppy

Hello, how much should i be giving my three month old jack russell terrier per day? The breeder I got Dobby from said that I should give him 2 meals a day, one in the morning and one in the night. 1/4th cup of food each meal. I was wondering if I should give more food, because when they weighed him during his recent vaccination, he's 2.5 kg, but when I researched on how much a normal 3 month old jrt male puppy SHOULD weigh, it told me that he had to be 2.8kg to 3.5 kg. So I wondered if I wasn't giving him enough food, and started to worry that I'm starving him. If you know how much a three month old puppy should actually eat, how many times he has to eat in a day, or should I be worrying at all, please do comment are give me details. Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Your dog doesn’t “have” to weigh any certain amount. I don’t know what you’re looking at, but those charts are just averages, some puppies need more, some less, as well as pups hit growth spurts at different times. The amount the breeder told you to feed was for right at that time, as the puppy grows it will need more.
  4. denisse&dobby

denisse&dobby New Member

Name:
    Denisse
    so what i'm feeding is alright?
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I don’t know. How long have you had the pup. If that amount was for one week ago then you should be feeding a little bit more now. How does the dog feel. Does he feel skinny or ribby?
  6. denisse&dobby

denisse&dobby New Member

Name:
    Denisse
    no, i've had him for a week now.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have always fed puppies of that age 3-4 small meals a day, tapering it down until they are 6-8 months old, and then feeding twice a day.

As @who owns who said, charts are just average and there is no "must weigh" or "must eat" as it depends on each individual pup - and also the breed as some breeds, as a large breed puppy will grow faster than a small breed.

You should be able to feel but not see his ribs and his spine - and although at three-months he no doubt still has a puppy round tummy, you should not let him get fat or gain weight too quickly.