Bald Spots Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by DK1981, May 2, 2020.

1. DK1981

DK1981 New Member

Name:
    Duncan

Bald Spots

Hi all,

I'm new here and first time French Bulldog owner. Walter is 8 weeks old and when we got him he had lost some hair on his head. The breeder had taken him for a scraping and the Vet ruled out mites. We've had Walter for a week now and these little bald Spots appear to be spreading badly on his forearms and across his shoulders. We've been told to use Malaseb shampoo by the breeders vet. We've bathed him using this once. I saw a post on here with a dog with similar looking bald spots but the OP never returned with an answer. We have booked him into see our local vet this coming week but wondered if reaching out to you guys might shed some light on it? He is on a grain free food (I believe it's called 'core'). He doesn't appear to be in any pain and only occasionally nibbles his paws.

It actually looks much worse in photos. Just wondered if this was common and if someone could recommend anything to help him.

Thanks in advance

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H5InoV2xCjrdnoHNfT2_s1V_e71UNF4-/view?usp=sharing
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris likes this.
    Oh dear, poor little chap.
    So Walter was only 7 weeks old when you got him? It is actually illegal to sell a puppy under 8 weeks - at least that became so in England on 1st. April, possibly the other regions have not passed their Lucy's Law legislation yet. Did he come with any health insurance?
    As you can see from the FB forum headings, skin problems do seem to be common in this breed, and there seem to be very few answers. Your puppy is so very young for drastic allergy treatments - I think you are going to have to trust your vet on this one. I hope you get some helpul suggestions from the Frenchie community. If not, maybe a raw diet might be worth trying.
  4. DK1981

DK1981 New Member

Name:
    Duncan
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Booked into the Vets this Tuesday so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it quite quickly. We got him at 8 weeks so he'll be 9 weeks now. Yes he's come with health insurance and we've just got his certificates. I've read a few posts about Raw food being a good option. Thank you
  5. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Wow that doesn’t look very good. I’m glad to hear you are getting him to the vet. Let us know what you find out. Hopefully he will get well very soon.
  6. DK1981

DK1981 New Member

Name:
    Duncan
    Hi guys, just wanted to give an update on my pup. The vet diagnosed a bacterial skin infection and prescribed Co-Amoxyclav which as you can see is working a treat. I hope this helps people in the future

Attached Files:

7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so glad that the treatment is working - Walter is an adorable little puppy and he looks so much better now. Was it just one course or does he have to continue it for any length of time?
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    DK1981 likes this.
    What a change! Walter has a real shine to his coat now. I'm glad the treatment worked so quickly, and as you say, I hope this thread may help someone else in the future.
  9. DK1981

DK1981 New Member

Name:
    Duncan
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    He was initially given 10 days worth of tablets. 1/4 tablet - Twice a day. However when we took him back to the vet, he gave us another 10 days as it wasn't completely healed. We've got a couple of days left. Really pleased how the treatment has gone.