My westie is very lethargic and seems reluctant to move Health

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by John Hughes, Aug 20, 2020.

1. John Hughes

John Hughes New Member

Name:
    Ozzy

My westie is very lethargic and seems reluctant to move

Good evening , this is my first post having just joined the group and hoping I can get some advice as very concerned for my Westie Ozzy . He is 11 and although slowing down a little , is normally still quite active and busy getting up to no good . I was away yesterday travelling with work and when I normally come home he gets so excited to see me and barks and jumps all over me. Last night he greeted me with his ears down and his tail between his legs and just not the welcome I had expected . My wife advised that he had been quite all day , did not seem to want to go out and hardly left his bed. He did eat and drink though . Today I phoned the very but can't get an appointment until Sat AM and he has continued to be very quite either sleeping or just laying in his bed . I have tried to carry him into the garden as he seems reluctant to walk and when he does he's not very mobile and will then look to lat down again asap. Last week we had concerns if he had an ear infection and he was shaking his head and scratching one ear a lot but this seemed to go away . The transformation in him is striking and I will insist on seeing the vet as an emergency tomorrow . In the mean time I have looked into possible causes ie as a result of a possible ear infection , vestibular disease (common in older dogs) and dementia . I would be grateful for any help or comments from the group
    Many thanks and regards
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    It doesn't sound like vestibular, but I too would be concerned and would get him to the vet as soon as you can.
  4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    If it were in Queensland Australia I would be first looking for a tick.
    That’s just here though
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Not easy to give remote suggestions but with an elderly dog my first check would be for a spinal or joint problem. Let him rest till your appointment comes round.
  6. John Hughes

John Hughes New Member

Name:
    Ozzy
    Many thanks Carole , he is at the vets now so waiting on blood tests . The vet checked his spine and limps and confirmed he could not see anthing obvious and ozzy showed no sign of pain . Will see what the bloods and urine show
    Kind regards
  7. John Hughes

John Hughes New Member

Name:
    Ozzy
    Chris likes this.
    Many thanks Chris , I have managed to fast track the appointment so he is currently in having bloods tests and pick him up later .
  8. John Hughes

John Hughes New Member

Name:
    Ozzy
    Indeed and something I considered ticks and fleas - At the vets now so fingers crossed
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am glad that you were able to get an emergency appointment for little Ozzy and do hope that the tests show up something that can be easily fixed quickly.
  10. John Hughes

John Hughes New Member

Name:
    Ozzy
    CaroleC and Chris like this.
    Thanks and just about to go and collect him and see what they say
    Kind regards
  11. John Hughes

John Hughes New Member

Name:
    Ozzy
    so the vet suspects cushing's disease based on the blood test results and one enzyme being 3 times higher than it should be . Wants to do a urine test on monday as Ozzy would not help him in that dept when in on Friday. Again I would ask if anyone has advice on this and experience of how best to manage . Whilst I agree that a lot of the typical symptoms of cushings are in keeping with Ozzies , right now my main concern is just how paralyzed he appears . He can hardly move and when he does its to walk no more that 5 paces then to lay down immediately .
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor Ozzy, he does sound weak. I hope the vet will be able to prescribe a medication which will help him soon.
    Re. your urine sample: The only advice I can give is to be ready with your receptacle every time he goes outside - at least he isn't a girl, that would be harder still. My boy has never been any problem to collect urine from - you just expect to get a wet hand! My vet gave me a sample tube which had a yellow boat-shaped attachment for the collection of urine - useless for the girl I wanted it for as she squats so low. My OH attached a spring peg to a narrow stick, (forming a handle), which I was then able to clip to the sterilized lid of a jar, and slide underneath her. Maybe that would work for your little chap, - you don't need a lot. Good luck.