GSP pees on strangers left Behaviour

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by CharlesColeman55, Aug 22, 2020.

1. CharlesColeman55

CharlesColeman55 New Member

Name:
    Chuck

GSP pees on strangers left

Two GSP brothers have free rein in a school field out back. We keep them away from people at the playground or ball field, and all is good. Never have had a issue.

Today the not lead dog just took a steady jog (~50 yards) over to a guy who had a tripod and was filming (this was weird), and straight up lifted his leg on the guy! The guy later scoffed about the pee being on his leg and shoe. Then he took off and wouldn't take any help from my wife.

Plus the guy had no reaction (or movement) whatsoever as the dog approached. And he didn't even notice the dog lifting his leg, as the guy didn't move until he felt a warm, wet sensation on his leg.

The dogs are like 98% solid on coming back when called, but he kept going and just did the dirty deed.

What's the dog psychology here? o_O. The alpha dog stuck with me and didn't run over to the guy.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    How old are the dogs?

Are there usually people in that part of the field?
  4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    :):)
    Don’t know , thanks for making me laugh :)
  5. CharlesColeman55

Name:
    Chuck
    just turned 5.

Standing by the woods with a tripod? No, it was really unusual behavior to be there, filming, etc. But 1/2 the time we are out, there are people, and we just call them to stick close, which they do.

I walked it today, at it's close to 100 yards, it was a steady job to the guy, unwavering, and went right up and lifted his leg! ;)
  6. CharlesColeman55

Name:
    Chuck
    After this happened and the guy was walking away, he was pissed.:p
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If the man was standing by the woods with a tripod and not moving, and it was an unusual occurrence that your dog had not seen before, maybe he thought the man was a tree so he peed on him?
  8. CharlesColeman55

Name:
    Chuck
    So you're saying a dog can't tell the difference between a man and a tree?o_O
  9. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I thought the dog was marking the strangely new object , which so happened to be a man in his own territory/field.

the speed and efficiency was what was funny/impressive/naughty/disgusting/offensive ,

besides who did that man think he was setting up a tripod and just looking around like that !

bahahaha

Less embarrassment when someone else’s dog.

mine used to pick choice moments to have a crap,
    Like in front of police officers,

the only person we see for hours,

outside in front of people gathered etc etc .........

I learned how to surrender shaking my head with a , did you have to do that right here , now?

Time taught me I couldn’t control that , and I became less embarrassed like a lot of parents do I suppose
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Apologies - I was being a bit flippant, but as @Queensland blue said, maybe the dog was just marking what he thought was a strange object in his territory. I have never owned a dog, just bitches, and they do not tend to mark things or place.

I did have one small girl who once decided to poo outside the little shop here, and when I picked it up a little child called out "Eeeww - that lady picked up doggy poopoo"!
  11. CharlesColeman55

Name:
    Chuck
    good points, sounds like marking.

but LOL on your dog's choice moment to have a crap ... :)
  12. CharlesColeman55

Name:
    Chuck
    No worries, so yeah, the conclusion seems to be marking.

It was strange that the guy was videotaping, and in our direction. Both my wife and I were like "that's weird", and it was in our direction, and she even tugged down on her skort while inside our house.

Then it was strange afterwards, the guy didn't laugh it off, yeah, he was pissed.:eek:

The dog knew.:)
  13. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    It sounds very likely that it was a scent marking exercise. I'm guessing that your boy isn't used to seeing people with strange objects standing perfectly still and to him it was just probably a new item in his area that needed to be marked up to make it safe :).

They really do know how to embarrass us at times :)
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That they certainly do - Lexi used to pee on Vadim's shoes every year when he came to give her the rabies shot! She also embarrassed me at the surgery once - she had just been weighed and someone said "do not step back" - yep, she had poo'd as soon as she had gotten off the scales. :oops:

And Pereg, who was always let off the lead as soon as the taxi was parked outside the big store at the pension, pee'd while she was wandering around inside it even though the door was open... :rolleyes:
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I remember being in an outdoor ring with Geordie Cavalier. I nudged the person next to me and sniggered, 'Did you see, Mrs X's dog has just weed up her leg'.
    'So has yours', she replied, and yes, he had done.
    There must have been something in the air that day, it was the only time he ever did it!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Carole - it has just gone 5.44pm and I had just put the first forkful of my first meal of the day in my mouth when I read your post...

...I now have bits of chopped hard-boiled egg, bits of various types of lettuce, finely shredded carrots, beetroot and kohlrabi, mixed with tehina and EVOO, splattered everywhere.

HELLUP !!!
  17. CharlesColeman55

Name:
    Chuck
    Yeah, it's my grand-pup, he's been at the house though for 3+ years, and this was a first! Definitely a good laugh though ... :)
  18. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Many years ago we had a widow shortened in the house so of course it had to be bricked up underneath and replastered. My then dog, Sam, who had never had an accident in the house from the time we got him at 7 weeks old, peed up it. He was 5 years old. He'd never done it before and never again in his 16 years. Strange how their minds work :)
  19. CharlesColeman55

Name:
    Chuck
    "Hmmm, what's this? I better mark it. Ok, that's done.":p
  20. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    There's ammonia in plaster so I'm guessing he just thought another dog got there first :)
  21. Angus and Piper

Angus and Piper New Member

Name:
    Steven
    I watch that daily happen at the dog park.