Stud fee? Questions

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by Liamsdad, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Liamsdad

Liamsdad New Member

Name:
    Mike

Stud fee?

Hi everyone,

I am interested in allowing our dog to stud and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how much a typical stud fee would be and at what point is it paid?

Dixie comes from an excellent bloodline (Caithness Panoply) which is the breed record holder but i'm not too sure of how this would influence the fee.

Any help or guidance would be most greatful.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Liamsdad likes this.
    I haven't seen your Westie, so please do not take this as criticism. You do not sound as if you have had very much experience of breeding Westies. It might be worthwhile joining the West Highland White Terrier Club of England, (or one of the other regional clubs), and when they resume post CV19, visit some breed shows to get an idea of the type of male that breeders are looking for. This would also give you the chance to speak to some of the exhibitors, and you could get some advice on your boy's prospects and his pedigree.

It is worth mentioning that there is a little more to stud work than there appears to be. There is quite a big of expertise in stud handling, and you may occasionally need the facilities to house visiting bitches. Also, a dog who has been used at stud is likely to do more scent marking than before, some of which may be in the house.

ps. I do not know the current Westie breed record holder, but in 2006 Ch. Olac Moon Pilot was the Westie breed record holder with 48CC's. He was also a Crufts Best in Show winner.
  4. Liamsdad

Liamsdad New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Carole, yes very inexperienced in regards to breeding.

Its a massive learning process isnt it but hopefully this forum will be a big help.

I think Olac Moon Pilot was a champion a few years before Caithness Panoply who came through later and broke the records. Top Westie 4 years on the run.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am a bit puzzled - the image you showed said Caithness Panoply was the top Westie in '93/94/95/96 and @CaroleC has said that Ch. Olac Moon Pilot was the Westie breed record holder with 48CC's in 2006 - ten years later not earlier.

Have you perhaps got the dates mixed up?
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have just Googled Caithness Westies. They appear to be .nl so I presume they are based in Holland. I think his CC's might be either Dutch or European titles, not awarded by our Kennel Club.
  7. Liamsdad

Liamsdad New Member

Name:
    Mike
    No, i dont think so. I googled olac moon pilot and it won championships in the late 80's. Not 2006?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It doesn't mean that the breed record wasn't still standing in 2006 though! (Sorry about the double negative). Breed records do tend to stand for a long time, but I will try and look into this tomorrow. Unfortunately, I've never owned a terrier breed, so have no contacts in this breed.
    The dog at the back of Mike's dog's pedigree is Dutch and has no British CC's that I could discover. He does come up on MyKC, but there are no details other than his 2 generation parentage. The last import sired by him was Caithness Pendragon, born 30.03.1995.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Moon Pilot still held the record in 2003!
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is a long time to hold the record Carole - he must have been a really special dog!

Thinking back on the Griffs, unless they had champions no more than two generations before, it did not seem make much difference. I am sure the KC must have the records but I have never checked for mine online because after all these years it is in a life that no longer exists. The last litter I had planned never came about, at least not while I was still breeding, my girl, who had already had one litter, the proposed sire being unproven but the son of a champion so it was basically a test to see if he would have been as good as his own sire [IIRC the dog had two CCs by then but had not been used as a stud].

I gave my girl to my mentor, from whose lines she had come, and for personal reasons I did not want to know if in fact it did happen.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    OK found it on F'book Westie Results. Stephen Leigh updated the list of all Westies with more than 10 CC's on October 6th. 2019.
    Breed Record, Ch. Olac Moon Pilot 48 CC's
    Bitch Record, Ch. Burneze Our Marnie 43 CC's.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That really is impressive - as I said, Ch. Olac Moon Pilot must have been a really special dog to have still held the title just last year. The pictures of him show how magnificent he was.