Help! The stinkiest farts I ever did smell! Diet

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Chloe Davis, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Chloe Davis

Chloe Davis New Member

Name:
    Chloe

Help! The stinkiest farts I ever did smell!

Hello to all fellow Malinois owners out there! New forum joiner and owner of two young Malinois here. I’m hoping to get some suggestions/ideas from people who have had a similar problem with their Mals (or any breed, really!)

My two Mals share the exact same gene pool (same sire/dame pairing, two different litters) but our younger boy has gas like I’ve never experienced before!

a quick Google search yields me the same results every time: no, he doesn’t have any parasites or larger gastrointestinal problems (definitely the food causing it). And no, it’s not beans, lentils or your average culprits. We thought that poultry was the enemy, but a quick venture into a salmon-flavored food (made specifically for sensitive tummies, mind you) made it clear we haven’t figured it out yet. His gas stops and starts whenever we change up his food, so it’s also not that he’s a fast eater.
    ive been diving deep into the ingredients list on every food we’ve tried, crosschecked the ones that caused the worst gas with the ones that had the best results and cannot find ANY commonalities.

Has anybody had the same problem where they discovered a more unique allergy or found that it was the percentage of fiber, for example, rather than the ingredient itself? Grains? Maybe an ingredient that I won’t find in your average google article? Any food brands to recommend or techniques that have worked for you?

PS - I know Mal owners are some of the biggest advocates for a raw diet. While I wish this was something I could afford both the money AND time for (maybe someday) it’s just not in the cards right now.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Johann's Dad

Johann's Dad New Member

Name:
    Nik
    I'm sorry... Just like an occasional beer-drinking, pasta eating weekend turns me into a human air/gas compressor... Non raw carnivore diet does the same to dogs.

Depending where you are... Select grade ribeye roast and T-bone roast are not too expensive?

Another option is Visionary Pet Foods.

My Mal is happy on ribeyes.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Try giving your dog at least 2 tablespoons of raw goats milk with every meal. If you can’t find raw goats try goats milk kefir. Many pet food stores have frozen raw goats milk. Health food stores might have raw goats milk or goat milk kefir.

I will have to disagree with the above poster about feeding your dog ribeye steak. This alone is not a complete and nutritious meal for a dog. You can’t just feed them raw meat, there is so much more that goes into a raw diet.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As a raw feeder since mid 2011 I fully agree with this. It is quite easy once you know what is necessary and exactly what is required to make sure it has all the nutrition a dog needs, but it is a lot more than just raw meat and it is very important that you know exactly what you must and must not feed your dog.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Have you tried adding a Probiotic to the food?
    Also are you using titbits?
  7. Chloe Davis

Chloe Davis New Member

Name:
    Chloe
    Interesting! I can definitely find that near me and will give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
  8. Chloe Davis

Chloe Davis New Member

Name:
    Chloe
    we did briefly try a probiotic but I will have to admit I may not have adhered to it long enough to see if results would eventually show (maybe 2 weeks). It’s definitely a good option worth trying again.
    And no, I’m not familiar with tidbits - is that a brand or type of treat?
  9. Chloe Davis

Chloe Davis New Member

Name:
    Chloe
    thanks for the insight! I have looked into raw diets as an option and really am intrigued, so it could happen in the future but just not in the short term for now.
    i am curious though: as a raw feeder, do you have an opinion on foods like Orijen? The ingredient list is impressive, but I’m wondering if you think it’s really any better than other dry food options?
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot help you regarding Orijen although others here probably will be able to, but if you are interested I can suggest a couple of brands of dehydrated [both air-dried and freeze-dried] complete raw food [BARF and Prey] that you can get from Amazon or Chewy. Or maybe even from the brands themselves. I believe both supply free of charge for orders over a certain amount.

I tried them for emergency use when Amazon US started supplying Israel and they were offering free shipping for orders over $49. The pandemic put an end to them supplying here and when they started again they were charging anything up to $200 shipping for a $75 order [the maximum we are allowed to import] so I cannot but them any more.

Both Tikva and myself were very satisfied with the ones I did manage to get, that she would sometimes have instead of her usual meat and vegetables evening meal.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What I meant are you using titbits/treats for training ect: