Help on lead Training

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by ChopperO, Nov 13, 2020.

1. ChopperO

ChopperO New Member

Name:
    Beccy

Help on lead

Hello, we are first time dogue de Bordeaux owners and finding him really pulling on the lead, obviously due to the strength and size I am finding it difficult to control him when walking him on my own. Any advice on specific training would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Have you tried a no pull harness? It tightens across their chest when they pull. It’s not magic but it helps. I prefer any type of harness instead of leash attached to a collar
  4. ChopperO

ChopperO New Member

Name:
    Beccy
    Yes we use a harness but will look into a no pull one thank you
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I am not a fan of the harness for everyday use especially for large powerful dogs as in effect you are strapping yourself to the strongest part of the dog with little chance of controlling it properly.
    As with any tool a harness doesn't really train a dog not to pull, all tools are training aids, in that you have to use training to get the pulling to stop.

There are many methods to stop pulling rule of thumb is to never let the dog get where they want to go by pulling.
    The minute the lead tightened I stopped used the command steady’ and either stood still or turned in the other direction, once beside me I praised and started walking in original direction repeating ever time the lead tightened, If they didn’t slow down when they got to the end of the lead I didn’t say anything just turned quickly, letting the lead check them, once they caught up praise.
    It took ages to get any distance and sometimes I felt like giving up, but eventually the penny dropped that if they pulled we didn’t go anywhere.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Not everyone's choice but I find Halti type headcollars are very useful in schooling dogs that are excitable or are strong pullers. As jerking on a headcollar is not advisable, I use a 6 foot double ended lead, attaching one end to the headcollar - to guide the direction of travel - and the other to a plain collar, (or a harness). When the dog pulls, check on the collar, and redirect the head.
  7. ChopperO

ChopperO New Member

Name:
    Beccy
    Hello, thank you very much for this I really appreciate it. He is just over 2 and I don’t think he had much if any training so shame he hasn’t learnt this from a pup.
    Will try this. Thanks again