Itchy raw face Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Janea, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Janea

Janea New Member

Name:
    Janea

Itchy raw face

Ive had my French bulldog Blue going on three years now. He has a beautiful coat and we've never had any big skin issues up until recently. We had been feeding him royal canine frenchie food for the most part but about 4 months ago we switched to Farmers dog fresh food. The reason I bring that up is because around that time I noticed he started scratching his face quite a bit. He started scratching so badly that his folds started bleeding. I ordered an allergy test that we won't get the results back for another 3 weeks or so and I have also discontinued the Farmers dog food and started his back on the Royal Canine. I have gotten medicated wipes from the vet as well and I have tried water and apple distilled vinegar solution at the request of the vet. These worked before when he had minor dryness but neither seem to be working now. The areas around his folds as well as underneath his chin are dry and raw, they are also starting to lose hair. If anyone has any ideas or information that they can offer I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Sounds like a food allergy. It can take some time for the allergens to leave his body. What was different about the fresh food vs the kibble? Was it a different protein source?
  4. Janea

Janea New Member

Name:
    Janea
    Yes, I think that may be the issue, I am just waiting to see if it starts to subside. The fresh food was Turkey and Beef, also a mixture of veggies and things. I notified them that I would be cancelling the food subscription due to allergies and they sent me a list of all the ingredients in the food. I planned on comparing that list with his allergy test results that should be coming in a week or so. Im wondering if there is anything that I can do in order to relieve the itching as of now. Poor guys starting to look like Edward scissor hands haha. Trying to make light of the situation.
  5. graypaws

graypaws New Member

Name:
    Val
    Been buying royal canine hypoallergenic since my dog has an allergy to chicken and other food which I still don't know until now. I will ask my vet for an allergy test like what you did to see the list of allergies he has so hopefully he could eat other treats as well.