New to the Forum... Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by BlckStdServicePoodle, Apr 2, 2021.

1. BlckStdServicePoodle

BlckStdServicePoodle New Member

Name:
    DeafGuy

New to the Forum...

Hello all,
    I'm deaf and have acquired a black Standard Poodle puppy to train as my Hearing Dog so I can leave the premises on occasion without the Wife and not worry about dropping things (main concern for deaf people, you might know). I'm not too terribly concerned about deep training regarding the doorbell (I don't answer the door) or much else, the main thing will be simply alerting me when I drop something. I'm also epileptic (I hope that this isn't too much information, but it's just that epileptics tend to drop things) and I've lost keys, glasses, many many things that were irreplaceable because I simply don't hear them hit the ground... so we finally decided that I need help when the Wife is at work and I am stuck here at home, become restless and want to go for a stroll.
    He will also be trained to sit with me should I have an episode in public. The Support Group suggests that even with my mild form of epilepsy a Dog is recommended to be trained to accompany and should I fall, sit with me for the few seconds that I need to regain control because most scumbags won't approach a large Dog of ANY breed in order to nick my wallet while I cannot move.
    Naturally, I chose The Standard Poodle. :) Intelligent, regal, tall enough to reach with a regular Service harness handle (I'm a tallish man), and I've had Poodles all of my life so I know how easily trained they are.
    I named mine Marlowe. He's just over ten weeks old right now and a true blessing. Best decision since I asked my Wife to marry me over a decade ago. :)
    Nice to meet all of you.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Hi and welcome to you and Marlowe. When I was a kid my grandparents neighbor had two standard poodles. We would visit a few times a year and I liked these dogs. I was allowed to take them both on walks by myself by the time I was 10 or 12. They were obviously well trained dogs for them to be comfortable with me walking the two of them at such a young age.
  4. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    Thank you, and nice to meet you Marc! I'm glad to finally find a Forum with friendly people who understand the breed and don't proffer unsolicited advice nor bully newcomers. SUCH a welcome relief. I wanted to reach out to other Standard Poodle owners, just because, and several other Forums were such a MAJOR let down. Reminded me of why I don't have any Social Media accounts, haha. Again, good meeting you!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to Breedia. Wishing you and Marlowe every success in your training. xx
  6. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you ma'am, very much. Nice meeting you!
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Well it was well over 40 years ago that I walked those dogs, but I still remember it as one of the things I liked doing when we visited. I vaguely remember more than one set of standard poodles there. At that age it was good for me to meet friendly dogs as I also remember being chased on my bike by a few dogs that lived between my house and my best friends house, and trying to have as much speed as possible when passing those houses. Nowadays that wouldn’t be acceptable. I don’t know much about your breed, as I have Akitas, so I would only have general dog advice, which I’d only offer if you were asking. I also stay away from social media.
  8. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    Akitas are COOL! They're guard Dogs, aren't they? Wicked cool Dogs. We would see them in Clinic often, VERY aloof to strangers but not biters or anything we ever had to "worry" about, if I'm recalling correctly.
    Thick fur, VERY thick tail curling over the back? Can't recall the colors. Maybe white?
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I just saw on another thread you said you hoped your post wasn’t too long. Write them as long as you like. I sometimes find I write very long posts.
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    You can see a picture of my Akitas as my avatar and I’ve also posted many pictures of them in my threads. My previous Akita was very aloof but the two I have now are super friendly with people and pretty much expect to get said hello to. My male likes to give people hugs, and sometimes I don’t catch his signal that he’s going to do so. He’s over 90 lbs, but he’s never knocked anyone over. I take them into every store that allows me to, and they know which stores those are and get excited when we get near them. They are very thick coated, and shed constantly, as well as blowing their coat twice a year. As a breed they generally don’t like other dogs. Definitely not a dog for everyone, and certainly not a first time dog owner. Japenese akitas are more limited in their colors by breed standards but american Akitas, which is what I have, can be any color and often have a black mask. The American akitas tend to be larger and thicker boned than the japanese akitas
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Another hello and welcome from Tikva and from me :039:

May we know your name please, otherwise I might be tempted to address you as Marlowe's dad! Also, please post pictures of Marlowe and keep us up to date with how he gets one. I do not think I have ever met a standard Poodle, in fact the only one I can remember is a small one an uncle and aunt had when I was a child.

The picture in my avatar is not Tikva, who is a Dachshund/Minpin cross - that is a picture of the girl I had before her. Her name was Pereg and like you, she had epilepsy.
  12. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    Please feel free to just call me DeafGuy, everyone else does (at least as near as *I* can tell haha), I'm not a very interesting person and nobody talks to me anyway around here other than the Wife and help.
    I'd had to create out of pure necessity a VERY small clothing line (mostly shirts, but some hats and jackets and other things) saying "DEAFGUY" all over them, front and back, so that people won't try yelling at me from behind or talking to me. License plate on my car (before I had to stop driving) says "DEAFGUY" as well... so it's kind of my trademark moniker :)
    My Covid mask is also of my design, says "READ MY LIPS: I AM DEAF" so call me anything but "deafy" which enrages me, and I'll answer to it. :)
    "How he gets one"? Are you asking how we obtained him? We got him from a breeder, he's AKC registered. He's a "mismark"; he has a bit of white on him here and there, three toes and a dot on his chin, a touch on the chest, so he isn't Showable, which obviously is fine with me since I haven't the desire nor the energy these days to Show a Dog any longer, and we got him for -well you already know why. :)
    It's funny that I've posted a picture of Marlowe in my original posting but it's only gotten three views... maybe I did something wrongly with that? But he's 11 weeks old today, so I'm planning to get more pics later today. I only wish his next grooming appt weren't two weeks away; I brush him out, and ten minutes later it's as though he's never been brushed in his life! haha
    Anyway
    It's very nice to meet you too! :D
    Edit: Reading back over your posting, I'm betting you meant, "keep us up to date on how he gets on" and I'll be more than pleased to do so, thank you. It will be my pleasure and my honor. Thank you. :)
  13. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    Ahhhh. Thank you for the elucidation. I COULD have cheated and just looked it up, but what's the fun in that, right? :) It's best to just ask those who know, I always say. Google still thinks that Canadians (I'm not Canadian, this is just my favorite example) drive on the left side of the road... so I would really rather just ask anyway. haha!
  14. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    What thread was that? I didn't know that I was on any other threads. Not on THIS forum. Starting to get nervous, because I had told the owner of the other forum I wanted off. If that one and THIS one are the SAME, I'm going to be greatly disappointed since I've now found YOU good people.
    EDIT: Found it under behaviour, WHEW, same forum! Never mind! haha
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sure that we will all have great pleasure in talking to you - and you will be able to read what we are saying to you without any problem!
    Oh dear - one of these days I will remember to check what I have typed before hitting Post. :oops: Yes, I did mean "on" and not "one" :oops:

I could use the excuse that it was late at night and I am having computer problems [Firefox keeps crashing] so I rush to get things done before it goes off again - both of which are true - it being late and FF playing up - but that is not really a good reason for not checking what I write, is it, and I no doubt have a habit of mis-typing. One word in particular has a habit of appearing as "along" when I mean "alone" and I am sure I do it with other words as well.

Anyhow, please do stick around - we definitely do not bite!
  16. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Isn't Marlow just a handsome lad.

My lad is profoundly deaf and epileptic. I know how he struggles.

Which country are you in DG. Is there much help there. We are in the UK and the place where we live my lad is the only deaf sign language user in the area which is a pain for him. He does have a friend that he 'chats' to over video call though so isn't totally cut off
  17. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    Thank you; I wish that we could get him a grooming appointment sooner than we can, his hair is growing so fast... but we only know and trust two groomers and they are extremely booked. He's going to be a veritable cotton-ball when the day finally arrives :)
    I don't mind being alone, really. Deafness for me is more of an irritation most of the time than it is anything else. And now finally I'll have Marlowe to help with a lot of that irritation. And my epilepsy is inherited. "You can't pick your Family." haha
    Nice meeting you!