Std poodle behavior

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by Strang, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Strang

Strang New Member

Name:
    Jim

Std poodle behavior

Started to discuss Std Poodle behavior. I'm on my second and she is different than our first.
    Reina, our first , was an alpha whose greatest joy was running and jumping. Didn't retrieve.
    Lilly is laid back but her passion is ball retrieving. No obstacle can stand between she and her ball. She is a powerful girl who I perceive to have the characteristics of a hunter.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    There is a woman who walks a standard poodle here who is the same age as my pup .

my pup loves him , my pup growls and acts fierce and is comfortable with him enough to feel brave ,

and the poodle has the most stable and amazing temperament I have ever seen in a dog I can remember .

he is so balanced and well behaved , he lays on his back and rolls in the grass while my pup acts with bravado and is not phased by it in the slightest .

He is a sight when he comes trotting along too looking regal
  4. BlckStdServicePoodle

BlckStdServicePoodle New Member

Name:
    DeafGuy
    Mine is still only little, just over ten weeks but he's a retriever for certain. He also loves running about the yard and it's fun to watch. He has a tennis ball he adores, and one of my Wife's old slippers that she gave him, the rest of his toys are in house. He will be my Service Dog (I am deaf) once he's old enough to begin the training. For now, he's doing swimmingly with the basic puppy training things, and I'm socializing him VERY thoroughly which he's enjoying very much. So far, nothing seems to alarm nor frighten him and he definitely pays attention to the sounds going on about the estate so I'm greatly encouraged. Also, he's extremely cool. :) I mean, after all, he's a Standard Poodle!! Right?
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Your guy sounds like a dream. Who will be training him up for hearing dog service? I think he will make your life a lot easier once his training is over
  6. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    Well, he won't be getting DEEP training, we have help and electronics and cameras, etc for the house... I'm training him when he's old enough (Books, videos). The main thing: Alerting me when someone calls my name at the Dr, calls out "HEY!" on the streets, or (and this is the most important) WHEN I DROP THINGS. I've lost SO MANY THINGS simply because I don't hear them hit the ground. That's the biggest problem. I've lost glasses, sunglasses, KEYS, on and on. Those are the main issues with which he will assist.
    I want some independence. When I get restless, I don't want to have to be accompanied if I want to stroll off-grounds, or driven if I want to go to the corner for some tobacco, like I need a bodyguard or something. I HATE IT. It's TRULY humiliating. Marlowe will solve every bit of this for me.
    Above, I typed, "Books, videos". Actually the YouTube videos are fairly worthless to a deaf man (try turning OFF your volume and THEN turning on the captions, you'll understand what I mean). I can recommend a book, unsure if that's okay on this Forum, I'd have to change pages to re-read the Rules since I just joined. But the one book pretty much tells me all I need for the little bit he'll learn to SET ME FREE haha.
    Nice meeting you. Hope the post wasn't too long.
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I know your problems very well. My son is profoundly deaf. Unfortunately, he can't have a dog for a number of reasons, but if you can train your guy up, he will give you a lot more independence. Nobody understands deafness unless they are deaf themselves or have close links with someone who is deaf. Good luck and I hope when the time comes, the training goes well for you x
  8. BlckStdServicePoodle

Name:
    DeafGuy
    CaroleC and Chris like this.
    I've every confidence. He's a Standard Poodle, after all. :) Not that I'm prejudiced or anything, haha :D
  9. DwayneHoyer

DwayneHoyer New Member

Name:
    Dwayne
    Helidale likes this.
    I have a standard poodle. My dog is 10 years old. I often train the dog to pick up the ball tennis
  10. DwayneHoyer

DwayneHoyer New Member

Name:
    Dwayne
    Teach your puppy his name. This should be a no-brainer. If you refer to your Poodle by calling it puppy or simply saying come here, you’re not effectively training. Teaching his name is the first thing you should do. When you say your puppy’s name, look at him and motion him toward you. Say your puppy’s name in a calm, welcoming tone of voice and reward him with a treat and praise when he coms to you without hesitation.

Teach your Poodle puppy to sit. Once he’s mastered acknowledging his name when called, train your puppy to sit. If you have smaller breed Poodle, it is best if you’re at her level when training. To teach your Poodle puppy to sit, place a small treat in your hand, say the word “sit.” Put the treat by her nose and lift it slowly above her head. Her bum will naturally go to the ground. Once her bum is on the ground, say the word “sit,” give her the treat and praise her. Continue practicing this until she sits without needing the treat moved above her head. Tip: Many Poodle parents use a hand signal along with the verbal cue.
  11. FrankieOdling

FrankieOdling New Member

Name:
    Frankie Odling
    Hey there! It's so cool to hear about your Std Poodle experiences. It's amazing how different each dog can be, even within the same breed. Reina sounds like a real powerhouse, while Lilly seems like she's all about the fetch game! I bet she's a real athlete. Have you tried any other activities with her?
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd love to know how the OP got on with training if he is still around on the forum.

I'm hoping life is just that little bit easier now
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Another sneaky advert. Reported.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    What amazes me with these advertisers is that they really think we'd even consider buying a dog from their website when they lie, cheat and steal to advertise it against forum rules.

Heads up FrankieOdling and others: if you can't play by the rules on an internet forum, you sure aren't someone to buy a dog from.