ABC .German shepherds : dogs of war (1979) Working Dogs

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Queensland blue, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    GsdSlave likes this.

ABC .German shepherds : dogs of war (1979)

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    GsdSlave likes this.
    War dogs reel 1 1961

4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    GsdSlave likes this.
    War dogs reel 2 1961

5. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    In these war dog reels vids it’s good seeing the old dogs , the army ordering them around is a bit odd to me
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Just shows how much the breed and training methods have changed.
  7. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    War dogs of Vietnam .

This one is a bit heavier viewing (good show however )hearing stories , these dogs saved lots and lots of lives .

I had been to a war memorial event a few years ago and a soldier there had a cattle dog that was used to sniff out ieds and explosives .

they opened a plaque there with a statue of a dog , and that was where and when I decided to get a cattle dog.

now I am interested in service dogs for ptsd ,
    We have a royal commission into veteran suicide in Australia now and I am trying to get the government to fund the service dog trainers and cut red tape so that more dogs can get out there .
    It takes a long time to train them
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    By Land, Sea and Air we protect.
    Just a puppy video that shows how our pups prepare for life, this type of foundation work will carry them through anything they encounter, SAR, Police, PP, Sport or Family guardian and BFF.

Puppies and some noise
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @GsdSlave Remember when this was the Bible? I could curl up when I remember how strict we were in those days.

IMG_20210423_234444.jpg
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My trusty gun test training aids. You might laugh but my dogs are not scared of fireworks.

IMG_20210423_234759.jpg
  11. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I will make sure to not cross you @CaroleC...lol
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Reel 2.
    I'm not sure that I would trust that Labrador's tracking skills. Far too fast, and nose a foot off the ground!
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Yes I remember, I also had ‘Method of Dog Training by Koehler’ (Shudder)

How training clubs have changed over the years, thank goodness,I also remember the Barbara Wood-house era.

The pathe one brings back lots of memories too/
    Dog Club - British Pathé (britishpathe.com)
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Sad, no sympathy for the dog's feelings. The main thing was to look smart and get a sharp response from the dog. The Beagle that is next in line for BW's attention looks really apprehensive. How little space they allowed, I think dogs might have been less reactive in the past.
    I don't remember dog training in pubs, but I do remember Wednesday night match meetings in the upstairs rooms at pubs, and travelling by bus to local sanction shows almost every Saturday. Sunday shows were not allowed in those days.
  15. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    good vids thanks ,
    Looks like mini adventures for the little mates .

I remember when I went to pick up my pup and I was checking his hearing to see if it was ok before I took him . It is pretty common that a cattle dog every so often is deaf .

after clicking my fingers next to his ears , clapping and whistling , he still didn’t give me an indication he was paying attention .

I took him with the caveat that I would bring him back the next day if he was deaf , the lady did say he could hear though , and I really wanted that pup out of the lot .He was fine.

so the gun shot training in the vid at that young age could work for some out going pups to get used to , I see the chihuahua is freaking out by it though .

In one vid there I posted the shepherd and the handler are working off communicating by glances in Vietnam , when there is an enemy the dog transmits the information as they are both being receptive of each other , without a sit or any other signal to confirm .

This is really useful , if you have a person who reads the dog and vice versa.

My older dog and I travel through the bush this way too,
    I tell her to ‘push up ‘ and she travels in front and lets me know by freezing and looking back with a glance when she comes across a snake .

push up also works for searching a room before I go in too etc .

she has saved me stepping over a log when there is a snake there , and when there’s snakes on the path ,
    So much so I now realize most of the snakes I’ve seen the last few years I would have never known were around without her.

she is a really sensible girl , and her nose is so sensitive the sensations when she smells things almost seems like they’re giving her nose jolts or shocks ,
    As cattle dogs are naturally suspicious this works in our favor too .
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Although my guns are only plastic cap pistols, they did serve to prepare Eddie for his Working Trial gun tests. I don't start off too close to the dogs - just casually fire a couple of caps behind my back as the dogs are running ahead, then a quick recall for the inevitable treat.
    Gradually moving the sound closer until they don't react to the bang as they play or walk beside you. My dogs just think Mum's lost the plot again.
    Essential to pick a suitable location for doing this though. I wouldn't like to spook the natives - or their dogs.
  17. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes make sure range is clear of emus before firing