Recommendations on the best GR breeders in Western Europe Questions

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by TOM_30, Jul 9, 2021.

1. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30

Recommendations on the best GR breeders in Western Europe

Hi guys, i'm new here, nice to be here.

I want to ask for your help. I'm living in Israel and I'm interested in buying a Golden Retriever puppy for the purpose of training her to be a psychiatric assistance dog. In my country there isn’t a proper breeder for that matter and I'm now checking the option to export from an Western European country, so I can go and meet the breeder and choose the puppy myself.

I understand there's 2 global problems :

1) there is a long waiting list all over the world.

2) no reputable breeder will export a puppy.

I tried to find breeders in Western Europe but there's thousands of FCI approved breeders and I don’t know where to start. I'm looking to contact only the best of the best quality breeders FCI approved in one of these countries: UK, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Holland and Italy. Again, no money issue, I just want the best breeders I can find in these countries in order to contact them.

I'll be very happy if you can help me somehow cause I'm really lost and don't know what to do.

Thank you very much.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    TOM_30 likes this.
    Can you contact some psychiatric groups and see if they have breeder recommendations?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There are quite a few reputable breeders of Golden Retrievers in Israel so I do not quite understand why you say that there are no proper breeders. Have you checked with the Israel Kennel Club?

Whereabouts in Israel are you?
  5. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    Tried, did not find such groups.
  6. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    I did a deep research with professionals in the field and that was a clear conclusion.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    TOM_30 likes this.
    Would you like me to give you the names and addresses of reputable, registered Golden Retriever breeders in Israel?

You did not say where in Israel you live. But nowhere would be far for you to travel to any of them, would it, and traveling from and back to Israel at the moment is not a particularly easy thing, especially with the possibility of yet another lockdown looming on the horizon.
  8. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    Well I'm assuming I know all the breeders here because there aren't a lot of them, especially compared to other countries. also like i've said, i've consulted with professionals in the field here, but you can send me yes, maybe i'll discover something new. distance is not an issue, after all i'm willing to fly over for a puppy..
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sorry, perhaps I misunderstood you. In your OP you say that you are living in Israel and that there are no proper breeders in your country. Now you say that you are willing to fly over for a puppy.

If you are living in Israel, why would you have to "fly over" for a puppy?

I am also rather confused as to why you would join a forum and make your first post at about 12:45am. Because that was around the time of your first post and it is now nearly 1:30am in Israel.
  10. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    Am I under investigation here? I don't understand your questions. I do live in Israel and like I said, I am thinking of flying and exporting a puppy, not because it's my first option but because I understand from professionals here that it's not recommended to buy this breed here, again. simple. you don't have to reply if it's not relevant for you.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Which professionals? Have you contacted the Israeli Kennel Club because I am sure that they have plenty of professionals, and as I say, there are quite a few reputable registered breeders of Golden Retrievers in Israel.

I am also rather puzzled why you join a Forum - which incidentally is a British based one - at 12:39am on Shabbat.

[My computer shows that is the exact time of your OP - you can check for yourself]

It has now just gone 2am here in Israel so I am going to bed. לילה טוב
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    TOM_30 likes this.
    What type of professionals did you work with? I can't imagine that there are no quality breeders within the entire country.

I understand wanting "the best of the best", but you may be making this far more difficult than necessary.

You can ask a breeder to talk to prior buyers. That can give you a real insight as to the quality of the breeding and the potential for a quality service dog.

You also might try contacting the Israel Guide Dogs for the Blind - they may know of psychiatric groups.
  13. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    I've contacted everyone I need here.
    I don't know why I keep replying and explaining myself to you, but it's not really your business when and what i'm writing.. Thanks anyway and good night..
  14. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    I've contacted service dogs trainers and read on GR facebook groups.
    There's only 2 facilities for that in Israel, one of them is the one you mentioned ( i've contact them also ), from what I know, both of them export their dogs.

In any case, I understand that the waiting lists for a GR here is now about 2 years, so it's not relevant for me even if there were suitable breeders.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    TOM_30 and Toedtoes like this.
    GR's are one of the most sought after breeds in the UK, and prices have certainly escalated during the Covid crisis. You could try asking The Golden Retriever Club - the parent club in the UK - for a recommendation. There must be some conscientious breeders who would allow a puppy to be exported for a genuine purpose. The trouble is that in the present climate their waiting lists are likely to be over-subscribed.
    Did you try the Israel Retriever Club by the way?
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Carole - there is the Israel Kennel Club. There are more than just two facilities that train service dogs than the OP mentions. There are organisations for service dogs for blind/disabled/emotionally disturbed people in Israel.

To say "In my country there isn’t a proper breeder" is incorrect. Then saying "Well I'm assuming I know all the breeders here because there aren't a lot of them" is an impossibility as there are some top class breeders of Golden Retrievers in Israel - as well as many top class breeders of other breeds.

As you know, I have lived in Israel for 36 years. And if I was looking for a specific breed the first thing I would do is check with the Israel Kennel Club. I would then check all the Israeli breeders [not on Shabbat though, of course] - and I would check all the Hebrew websites. I would not join an English speaking forum at gone half past midnight, on a Shabbat, to ask if anyone knows of a breeder in Europe.

In addition, when I asked if he would like me to give him the names and addresses of reputable, registered Golden Retriever breeders in Israel he replied that he would be "willing to fly over for a puppy" - but if he lives in Israel he would not have to fly over, would he.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    TOM_30 likes this.
    People have their own reasons to import. Maybe a successful British breeder might be more likely to fully DNA test - of course I have no idea how much testing applies in Israel. My own breed is British in origin, but there has been considerable sharing of bloodlines across the Atlantic since the days of Thelma Gray and her Rozavels. These days Facebook directs our attention to many wonderful Australian and Continental, (for example), show dogs, and breeders are experimenting with new lines which might bring greater diversification to our mutual gene pools.
    I mentioned the Retriever Club because I thought there may be a population of Working and Show members that the OP had not tapped into, but I don't see why he should have to have a home-bred dog if he would like a British one. Tom only says that he is living in Israel, he doesn't give his religion.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Carole, he says "In my country there isn’t a proper breeder". But there are. There is one breeder that I know of [from Doron, my scooter guy, because he is an agent for a company that is on the same Kibbutz as the breeder], that has bred nearly 30 top champions, and has puppies they have bred working as disability/emotional/psychiatric service dogs, both with private individuals and those that assist in schools for special education, rehabilitation centres, and other such place.

Does that sound like they are not a "proper" breeder to you?
  19. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes I’m aware all that, things got really crazy because of the corona. like I said, i’ve contacted all the relevant countries GR clubs , there’s are hundreds of breeders in every country so it’s impossible for me to contact everyone of them, i need more specific recommendation from someone local who is in the field.
  20. TOM_30

TOM_30 New Member

Name:
    TOM_30
    Thank you for that. Yes the things you mentioned is important for me, The health, blood line, abilities, colors, look features, winning shows and cetra, all important for me. I live in Israel and I’m an Israeli.