Puppy’s ears flopped after being perked. Will they perk again? Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Huron, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Huron

Huron New Member

Name:
    Raquel

Puppy’s ears flopped after being perked. Will they perk again?

Hey!
    I would love to hear your thoughts and advice!
    My puppy is 15 weeks and has had his right ear perked since he was 12 weeks old.
    I’m crazy about perked ears, so you can imagine I was very excited! His left ear was beginning to lift up as well:
    [​IMG]

However, a week ago both of his ears completely flopped and I’m not sure why. The only reason I can think of was a scare he got after spooking himself over his own long-line leash handle. After that, his ears never perked again, but it might just be a coincidence. This is what the pupper looks like now:

[​IMG]

Do you think his ears will perk again? If not, are there ways to help them lift up?
    What I’ve been doing: he has a lot of chew toys and I always encourage him to play with them. I also take him for short walks and play time 2-3 times a day. He’s a very healthy boy and is getting a well balanced diet.

This is only for aesthetic reasons and will never affect how much I love that little trouble-maker. But boy, did I love the way he looked with those ears up! xD
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tipped ears are correct for most Collie breeds though.
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Huron and Malka like this.
    I was just going to say that the second picture is more typical collie ears.

He's a gorgeous lad. Be proud of him
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Huron likes this.
    With a breed whose ears are meant to be tipped, it's really impossible to get them straight. They just don't have the ear structure. You will find that his ears go straight at times - enjoy those moments with "your other dog" and enjoy the rest with your cutie.
  6. Huron

Huron New Member

Name:
    Raquel
    Thank you for your reply!
    Yeah, I agree it's rarer, but both of his parents have straight ears, which just made me wonder...
    [​IMG]

Haha and you're right, it's like having two different puppies! Thank you so much!
  7. Huron

Huron New Member

Name:
    Raquel
    Yeah, I agree with you, the second set of ears is more typical for his breed. Both of his parents had perked ears, though, but that won't mean he'll get the set.
    Thank you so much!