What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    93 right now. Will get to 103 this weekend, then cool back down to the mid 80s. My dream temp is mid 70s.

Unfortunately a lot of smoke from the fires right now so it's icky.

I need to install a dedicated 20amp line for my living room window AC - until then, on the hottest of days, it blows the breaker - so I spend several hours with just a fan.

Loonie 1 has been known to melt
    IMG_20210710_205442.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    It’s down to 93 now. My house is only 77, so no need for AC. Only used it during two earlier heatwaves. This house has some trees around it so gets some shade. The new house will be in full sun, so I’m going to install some mini-split AC’s, possibly one in every room
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and Helidale like this.
    Cooling off slow.
    65 outside
    72.5 inside

I’ve developed quite the popsicle habit this summer. After buying some a few times I bought some molds. A9A563BE-F19E-4E6F-B87D-C7C4F41196C8.jpeg I had 7 today... Made with almost all organic juices. Only the blueberry juice was not organic, it was so expensive organic. Turns out it’s not as good for popsicles as I thought it would be. I prefer my blueberries in their natural form. So I’ll list off all the flavors I’ve been using. I also started mixing the blueberry, which makes it so I like it more.

Blueberry
    Apple
    Orange
    Grape
    Tart Cherry
    Lemonade
    Limeade
    Cherry lemonade
    Blueberry lemonade
    Mango lemonade
  5. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    That looks great! The old favourites, Orange, Mango, or Raspberry for me.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    When I took my rubbish out at 10pm yesterday evening the heat nearly knocked me over - I had to stick my head under the cold water tap when I came in to try and cool down, and I had only been outside for maybe two or three minutes!
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I have never handled heat well. Just stepping outside like that in the heat will drain my energy for the rest of the day. Whereas walking outside in 75 or below weather will energize me. But I sleep better in the cold than in the heat.

After one unusually hot summer, I developed sleep deprivation so bad I was having anxiety attacks for a full year afterwards. That's when I started leaving my bedroom AC unit on 24/7 all summer. After a full year of a cold bedroom, the attacks went away.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    After getting a kidney stone (I named him George), I started drinking more water. Only problem is that straight water bloats my stomach and too much in the heat and I throw it back up. So I use those flavored water drops. My favorite is the Crystal Light Blueberry Rasberry - not too sweet, not too tart. Perfect for middle of the night, yet satisfying the rest of the time. The Strawberry Lemonade is good, but it's too sweet for the middle of the night.

Similar to you and blueberries, I hate all thing grape EXCEPT fresh grapes. As a kid, I hated grape flavored medicine - and too often, that was the only flavor available. Grape juice - gross. Grapes - yum.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My twice a week outings - less than 2m from my door to my wheelie bin! I don't have the a/c on particularly low - 26°C/78.8°F during the day in the salon, and the same at night in my bedroom. I usually put that one on around 9-10pm - Tikva goes in her crate around 12.30am [depending on when she asks] so the bedroom is reasonably cool by then. The unit in the kitchen only gets switched on when I'm going to be in there for any length of time, ditto the back room [I have separate small wall units in each room].

My ancient little bungalow has no insulation, is like an oven in the summer - and an ice-box in the winter!
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Got up to 96 today. Currently 71. My house is 77. I live in the costal mountains and it’s not usually this hot so often and for such long stretches. Well I have a feeling this is the new usual.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    We were at 104 today. Unfortunately at that temp, my living room AC unit blows the circuit so it gets warm in there during the day. Fortunately, the bedroom AC doesn't blow its circuit so it stay very cool.

This winter I am putting in a dedicated 20amp breaker and outlet just for the living room AC so next year no more problems. There are just too many of the over 100 days these summers.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I can't imagine being able to cope in 104°.
    We have been having temps of approx 29°C, (our forecasts are in metric), over the past few days. With all the doors and windows open, that is giving us around 75 - 77°F in our main living areas. The bedrooms are south facing and will be hotter but they aren't used during the daytime. AirCon is still a rarity over here - power is too expensive for it to be common in homes.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Are your a/c units separate, ie plugged into separate sockets? I have wall a/c units in each room [not window units] and each one is plugged into a separate socket. I have circuit breakers in each socket so that if something overloads one, the circuit breaker switches off and nothing anywhere else is affected.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    If we get the delta breeze, I can open the doors and windows and it cools down nicely in the evening. But when it gets this hot, there is no breeze. It sucks. I love it when it's in the 70s during the day.
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    The main problem is that the current outlet is on a 15 amp circuit breaker and not a 20 amp breaker. The AC unit will pull more than the 15 amps on these super hot days so the breaker pops. The plan is to install an additional 20 amp circuit breaker in the box and run it to a new outlet in the living room for just the AC. That way, the outlet, wiring and circuit breaker will all be rated for 20 amps and only the AC will be on it.

We're only going to 94 this week, hopefully things will start to cool down. The AC runs fine at these temps.
  16. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I certainly don’t know your finances, but have you looked into mini splits. You can run up to four units (in different rooms) off of one unit outside. They are more efficient and quieter as well. They can also heat in the winter (well not for me as I live off grid so wouldn’t work well). I’m putting these in my new house, eventually
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Interesting. At this point, not in my budget (and just bought a new window unit for the bedroom). But will keep studying for the future.

I've only had the AC issue since I retired and am home during the heat of the day. Playing on the computer while watching a movie with the AC running full blast is just too much for the circuit. When I worked, it was only the AC running and that was fine. So, with a dedicated circuited, things will be fine. The window units actually work really well.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Last night we had RAIN!! There was lightning too, which is scary this time of year. But the rain felt and smelled so good.
  19. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I was very nervous about the chances of lightning last night, as the fire in the Santa Cruz mountains last year was called the CZU lightning complex fire, because it was a bunch of fires caused by lightning strikes that all merged together.
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Yeah, there are just too many fires started by lightning. I love storms, but out here, I prefer my lightning in the middle of winter.
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Rain, lots of it