Goodbye Eddie Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Sep 23, 2021.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Goodbye Eddie

I am so sad to tell you that Eddie the Beagle, was given sleep this afternoon. This is the first time I have not shared my life with at least one dog in 68 years - our house is so quiet. You will know that Eddie has had bowel problems for approximately six years, during which he has had five operations to remove tumours - the last was just over three months ago. Each time the tumours were growing back faster and in even greater numbers. His vet could do no more, colostomies are not a viable option for dogs. Goodbye my nurse, partner, and friend, we certainly crammed a lot into our time together.
    Final Edition at Helidale Beg Ex, CD Ex. 06.05.08 - 22.09.21.

In rescue at four months old. Love at first sight.
    PICT0001.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am so sorry. Sweet Eddie. That face was adorable.

I completely understand about the quiet house. I've always had shepherds who have their signature Shepherd-whine. And then Bat-dog had her Beagle-speak. The silence when they are gone is truly deafening.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh Carole my heart goes out to you, and feels heavy, reading this sad news. So soon after his running mate Merry. I know you gave him the best life you could, and all the care that was available. He’s chasing after rabbits with Merry now. They were both a blessing in your life, as you were a blessing in theirs. At least he’s at peace now.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    My heart is breaking for you Carole and my tears flowing. You and I have been together through joys and sadness since what seems like forever, through our words on these pages. I join you in your heartbreak and sorrow and send you love. There is nothing more I can say.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    So sorry Carole,it's always so heartbreaking my thoughts are with you x

Attached Files:

7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you all. Yes it's tough and I really don't know whether there will be any more to follow. There may be Beagles on the horizon, but I have restricted movement and pain from the June '20 and the June '21 falls, so as things are, neither of us could cope with the exercise a healthy dog would need. However, my appointment with the knee and hip restorers is on the 30th. of this month, so it's fingers crossed for some positive news there.
  8. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Oh Carole, you must be both devastated and heartbroken - first losing Merry and now Eddie.

I can't imagine what you are feeling, but am sending the biggest of hugs

Run free Eddie - reunited now with sister Merry xx
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes and Chris like this.
    Thank you Chris, it is horrible. Losing them close together has been my dread - my last two Cavaliers were born at different ends of the same year and died only a fortnight apart. Looking back, I should have let Eddie go in June when he had his last op. The last three months have been a struggle for him and for us. At least our pets have the chance of a gentle and dignified exit when there are no other alternatives.
    I would like to think that Merry and Tweed were at the bridge waiting to greet him.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I always figure when I reach that point where I just can't handle a young healthy dog, I would do one of two things:

Adopt an older dog who isn't as active, or

Volunteer and take older dogs out for socialization and home visits.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We decided a while ago that Eddie would be the last young dog that we had. Merry was almost six when we took her on, but even a ten year old Beagle is still a vigorous dog. I had thought of fostering for a rescue, but could not walk for any distance as I am at the moment.
    If the orthopods can fix me up, I have show friends who will let me have a suitable Beagle - it would be a condition that the dog would return to them if I popped my clogs. If I can't be repaired in the near future, i'm afraid that Beagles, and what is left of my social life, will be no go.
    Plan B would be an older toy dog from a rescue.
    Plan C would be to see whether gerbils can be clicker trained!
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Merry at 10 - and still on a longline!
    IMG_20190501_121324_kindlephoto-357745328.jpg
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I always believe the right pet will come along.

Looney1 and Looney2 literally showed up on my doorstep. I couldn't have picked more perfect cats.