Chihuahua eaten Chocolate Questions

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by LinBar, Dec 29, 2021.

1. LinBar

LinBar New Member

Name:
    Linda

Chihuahua eaten Chocolate

My 4 pound 8 year old chihuahua has eaten 30g of dark chocolate. We didn't know for 2 hours and have now rushed her to the vet. She has a raised heart rate and has been induced to vomit but they have had to put her on drugs to slow her heart rate. We have been sent home and they are keeping her in. I am so scared. She suffers from seizures. Has anyone else had this did their dog get better?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You must be frantic with worry. I hope that you get good news from the vet. Though I have heard of several Beagles which did recover. I haven't come across a dog as small as your girl who managed to do this.
    Put your faith in the vet, and try to think positively. I'm sure that the regulars on Breedia will all be wishing your girl a full recovery. Sending healing thoughts. Please update us.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have just re-read this post.
    By, 'managed to do this', I meant have access to the dark chocolate, not recover from eating it!
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It sounds like she is in good hands and she has all the hopes, prayers and fingers (and everything else) crossed that she makes a good recovery.

My old dog, Sam, once ate a full box of Milk Tray chocolates. Fortunately, because there was a lot of filling as opposed to chocolate, he didn't suffer at all.

Dark chocolate is a worry though, but she is in the right place to get all the help she needs
  6. LinBar

LinBar New Member

Name:
    Linda
    Thank you Carole for your reply. She stayed at the emergency vets for the night and was made to be sick and given beta blockers to slow her heart rate, as it was high and also Carbodote 3 times a day for the toxicity. They then sent her to our vet for observation and blood tests today. When she arrived at the vets today her heart rate was 200 and test results were that she was a bit low on potassium and her sodium level was low. She suffers with seizures and is on libromide so the vet didn't know whether to put her on a drip to raise her sodium levels but this would decrease the bromide that helps control her seizures. It was then decided not to put her on the drip and that we would bring her home for the night and observe her and take her back to the vets for another blood test in the morning.
  7. LinBar

LinBar New Member

Name:
    Linda
    Thank you for crossing everything Chris B. Pleased to hear that Sam was fine after he ate a box of chocolates.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I hope being at home will allow her to calm and that her heart rate slows because she is in familiar surroundings and getting all the TLC in the world from those she knows and love.

I've still got everything crossed x
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh Linda, what a worry for you. Something tells me that you won't be getting much sleep tonight. I hope the blood test shows a better result in the morning. Sending lots of healing thoughts for your little girl.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is a problem with Libromide [Kbr - Potassium Bromide] - you have to be so careful with sodium. My beloved Pereg was on Phenobarbitone.

I do hope your little girl will be OK Linda. Please forgive me for not posting earlier.
  11. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris B likes this.
    How was your little girl today @LinBar?
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'm hoping no news is good news??