Should I get 2 litter mate puppies or 1 Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Michelle Allen, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Michelle Allen

Michelle Allen New Member

Name:
    Michelle

Should I get 2 litter mate puppies or 1

I am getting an 8 week old male puppy on March 31.
    I am thinking of getting his sister too. Is this a bad idea?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Michelle Allen

Name:
    Michelle
    I forgot to add they are Shih Tzu
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC and Chris B like this.
    The biggest issue with getting two puppies at the same time is that it makes it very difficult to give each one the one-on-one time they need to bond with you. This often leads to behavioral problems due to lack of socialization.

Ideally, with a puppy, you want to spend a lot of time giving him the chance to experience new things and helping him be comfortable with them. This is difficult to do when you have two puppies needing the same amount of your undivided attention at the same time.

Two puppies is four times the work of one puppy. While trying to stop one puppy from peeing in the house, the other is likely going to pee in the house. While rescueing your shoe from a puppy, you will have another shoe being chewed on somewhere else. The puppies will egg each other on.

It is very difficult trying to train two puppies at once and be consistent. While working with one puppy, you have to keep watch on the other to make sure she isn't doing unwanted behaviors.

Not every dog wants a sibling. While they may get along great as puppies, as they grow into adults, they may not want to share you or their home with each other.

Having two puppies the same age, means you will most likely lose them around the same time. This can be very difficult emotionally.

I would recommend getting the one puppy now. Give him your full undivided attention for his first 2-3 years. Then decide if getting a second dog is right for you and him. By that time, he will be settled, grown, and have good behaviors under his belt, so you can put your effort into a new puppy.
  5. Michelle Allen

Name:
    Michelle
    Thank you again….you really give good advice! I never thought about the things you mentioned. Yep going to stick with one puppy. Lol. Two sounds way too hard for what I need.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    You're welcome. People do two puppies, but often they are overwhelmed by it. Nowadays, you'll hear about "littermate syndrome" - it is simply the result when you have two puppies about the same age and you can't give each the time and attention they need to become happy well-contented dogs.
  7. David D'Angelo

David D'Angelo New Member

Name:
    David D'Angelo
    I had two from the same litter and in many respects it worked very well and they kept each other company. They even got on well with the cat, so a little trio.

But! Going on holidays was trickier. Most people are happy to look after one dog, but it's much harder to ask people to look after two.
  8. Michelle Allen

Name:
    Michelle
  9. Michelle Allen

Name:
    Michelle
    I was thinking about that…if I go on vacation and stay at anyones house or whatever that it would be hard.
    I am just getting the little boy. I don’t want to get in over my head.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Having two dogs definitely makes going out and doing things with them more difficult.

As for "keeping each other company", that is a two-sided sword: they will keep each other company, but they can cause a lot more damage doing so.