Grooming and odd behaviour General Chat

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by louise hall, Apr 14, 2023.

1. louise hall

louise hall New Member

Name:
    Louise Hall

Grooming and odd behaviour

Hello I have a lovely 2 and a half year old male shih tzu. He is a delicate little thing, suffers food allergies and hip dysplasia. On Tuesday I took him to a new groomer, she gave him a lovely cut but ever since he has been acting odd and abruptly sitting down on walks and at home. I thought razor burn or anal gland and even took him to the vet this morning. His glands weren’t full? I am so worried about him, he is still playing and eating normal. Any advice appreciated
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. kate _smith

kate _smith New Member

Name:
    kate smith
    I got my dog groomed all over with a 10 blade (groomer said this would be good because she hadn’t been shaved in 7 months because of lockdown). Her hair is a double coat wire (miniature poodle-chihuahua). It’s incredibly short now obviously but generally grows back very quick.

There are no nicks anywhere and as far as I can see from the cut she is fine. However, her behavior has been weird for the past 3 days (normally after a groom she is fine the next day). This is the shortest I have ever gone for her.

She hasn’t ate a meal since I’ve brought her home, isn’t smiling (dog loves to smile), and is constantly scratching herself. When I try to pick her up (normally cuddles like a baby), she tries to run away.

Do you think something happened at the groomer or she’s just reacting to the different feeling and sensation on her body?
  4. kate _smith

kate _smith New Member

Name:
    kate smith
    No reply...? is this forum active? https://vidmateapp.win VidMate App Momix.uno
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and Toedtoes like this.
    No one can know for sure, but at a guess, it's a bit of both

I'm guessing your girl may have had a bad experience and couple that with a short coat she's not used to ...........

One thing though, where are you based. Here in the UK, it's still cold and if you are here, she may be feeling it
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    If she's scratching, it might have been a close cut that irritated her skin even if there are no nicks.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Any reply can only be guesswork. We have no way of knowing whether anything happened to her at your groomers, but she must be feeling very different if she hasn't been clipped for seven months. If your dog is acting depressed and has not eaten for more than two or three days, I would be asking for a vet check.