Norwegian Buhund Discussions

Discussion in 'Norwegian Buhund' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Norwegian Buhund

Norwegian Buhund
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    KC Group: Pastoral
    Size: Medium
    Height: 41-46cm
    Weight: 12-18kg
    Colour: Wheaten, Black
    Lifespan: 11-13 years
    Coat: Short / Medium - dense double coat
    Grooming: Medium. Twice yearly shed.
    Health issues: Generally healthy. Hip Dysplasia, Cataracs.

Taken from kennel club:
    Taken From Wikipedia:
  4. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    My friends have these along with their Leonbergers, their affix is Wolfen - great dogs - I've never understood why they are not more popular !
  6. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    They are great!

Sadly, there is very little information on them -
    When I got mine the only info I had to go on was internet articles, the club and breeders. Sadly this info was not added to Wikipedia until AFTER I got my dog:
    However, not all dogs of this breed are steady; they are sometimes found to be nervous dogs. They can even have a suspicious nature about them. New owners may find this problematic, since the Norwegian Buhund may bark at each new alarming noise or movement.

This summs my dog up :lol: She has not been an easy buhund, but problems aside they are fantastic dogs, and I have not met any others with her issues :)
  7. basi

basi New Member

Name:
    jenny
    My 2nd favourite breed after the Basenjis and one which I grew up with. I will hopefully have another within the next couple of years. But I have to say that none of our Buhunds were ever nervous:? They do quite like the sound of their own voice though so that I do agree with. There have been a few Bu's over the years that have been quite successful in agility and have also been used as hearing dogs for the deaf.
  8. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Yes they do like their own voice!
    I think my buhnds nervousness is just unlucky - she is probably part pre-disposed to be nervous, and then I think not getting her until 12 weeks was a bit of an error as she missed out on some key socialization.

It is not generally representitive of the breed and would in no way put me off another - they are lovely dogs :)

I am wanting to re-take up agility with mine - she loves it - but has no sense of urgency :lol:
    My breeder gave one of her dogs to be trained as a hearing dog :)

Look forward to seeing pics if you ever get another :grin: I am DESPERATE to meet and see more buhunds!!!
  9. basi

basi New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Yes sounds like you were just unlucky and probably not getting her until 12 weeks has maybe added to it! I know the breeder of your girl and none of hers have ever showed signs of being nervous which shows in her results in showring!
    Ohh I will surely be putting pics up when I get my new Bu I can't wait it has been too long without one as my mum lost her last one in 2007:-(
  10. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    My breeder is lovely so have no problems there and all of her dogs were great! They do do well in the ring and they all had fantastic temprements. Still it gives me a challenge.. :lol: :lol: and she has improved in areas - shes just a bit of a scaredy cat but I'm hoping she'll get there eventually.

Aw sounds like you've been without a bu for a while :(
    Great idea getting another one soon though :mrgreen: