Lowchen Little Lion Dog - Can you tell me more about the breed? Questions

Discussion in 'Lowchen' started by Nicci_L, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci

Lowchen Little Lion Dog - Can you tell me more about the breed?

Can someone please tell me more about this breed please?

After much thought my mum has decided that she would like a companion dog (she's not against going through rescue) but she has decided that this may be the dog breed for her.

She's not a 'big' dog person so has been trying to decide the breed that may be for her and her circumstances and this is the breed she seems most intrested in. She owned Staffords but after loosing her last Stafford a while ago now - she now feels ready for another dog, all she does know is that she would like a 'toy' breed she's in her late fifties although she loves Staffords and they have been a big part of her life for a long time but she's admitted she is getting older and starting to feel it so has decided this time around the Stafford maybe isnt for her, as much as she loves them.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. barneys mum

barneys mum New Member

Name:
    Aileen
    The Lowchen's origins are obscure; some believe that he belongs to the Bichon family whilst others believe it is more likely that he has links with Tibetan breeds brought into North Europe many hundreds of years ago; what is certain is that the Lowchen was widespread throughout Spain, Germany and France in the 16th century and is featured in Goya's work, amongst others.

The name Lowchen (Littel Lion Dog) refers to the clip, and again the reason for this idiosyncratic presentation is unclear. However, this is a clipped breed which should be easy enough to maintain at home with a bit of practice and some light clippers. The coat is left to form a heavy mane around the head, shoulders and ribs and the feet are left coated in a similar fashion to the Chinese Crested, whilst the tail which curves over the back is clipped to leave a long and silky plume. The coat is permitted in any colour or combination of colours and is long, wavy and soft.

Numbers of the Lowchen dropped dramatically in the period up to 1960 and the survival of the breed was threatened; however, numbers stabilised and the Lowchen was recognised by the Kennel Club in 1971 and numbers grew to such an extent that Championship status was granted in 1976.

The Lowchen is up to 13" tall and can weigh as much as 8kg, so he is a strongly built little dog; good with children he is affectionate and friendly and eager to join in their games. His temperament is excellent and he is a very cheerful addition to the family.
    ----Aileen
  4. esquimaux

esquimaux New Member

Name:
    nicky
    We used to breed and show Lowchens many years ago, My mums last Lowchen died last year, she was 12 years old.
    They are lovely dogs, may pet Lowchens are not kept in a show clip and so get mistaken as being another breed.
    Nicky
  5. Pia Kirke

Pia Kirke New Member

Name:
    Pia
    Azz likes this.
    How old is Mum the Lowchen is a very active dog and a lot of fun, it does need training and grooming, they make good house pets and do need to have some play time
  6. Pia Kirke

Pia Kirke New Member

Name:
    Pia
    How old is your Mother, as the Lowchen is a very active dog and needs grooming and exercise which can be playing or more, it make a good house pet, and is good with Children will let you know if anyone is coming into the house, I hope this helps
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Pia Kirke - this is a very old thread so I do not think anyone will answer you.