Newfoundlands .....breast stroke? General Chat

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by pod, Mar 10, 2007.

1. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod

Newfoundlands .....breast stroke?

Hope I've got this in the right forum.

Not sure if my ears were deceiving me but on yesterday's Crufts TV programme there was a feature on Newfie water trials. I'm sure one of the owners said that they don't do doggie paddle like other breeds... but do breast stroke.....

Tell me I was mistaken please!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. perrypooh

perrypooh New Member

Name:
    nicky
    i heard that too!,me and my partner both commented on it, I don't know much about the breed in general (except that they are scrummy) but that just seems to weird to be right?
  4. Brainless

Brainless New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I didn't think that could be physically possible as a dog can't really move it's legs at right angles to it's body???
  5. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    I remember reading that the Newfoundland is the only dog that displays a particular type of stroke unlike any other beed and that it was 'like' breast stroke.

Have to say, I've never noticed how my own Newf swims but I will pay extra special attention this morning whe she's having her dip in the river.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2007
  6. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I'm trying to remember the pictures I've seen of them swimming but in view of the fact that I didn't remark on it it couldn't have been that out of the ordinary!
    Becky
  7. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Yes I heard this two and commented on it. Would love to see one in action
  8. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    Yes, that's what I thought and to be anything like breastroke the front legs would have to move together instead of alternately as in the paddle.
  9. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    Yes I do actually remember something (not from the TV prog) about the stroke being a bit different. Could it be something to do with why 'toeing in' is allowed in the breed. The front feet possibly paddle in a rotary action like a polar bear?
  10. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
  11. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Great videos and that doesn't look much like breast stroke to me but aren't they absolutely gorgeous. I looked at the ones of them drinking the water. Ivan dripples his water just like this and then comes over and rubs his chops all over you!!
  12. Kath

Kath Sadly Missed

There is definately a more "out to the side" action than with a normal dog swimming; dogs usually hold their head right up out of the water and their front feet come up right in front of the head, usually with lots of splashing, the newfies feet never came above the water surface, but I don't know how you can describe it in an easy to understand way. Kath.
  13. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    I get what you mean Kath. Kind of like a polar bear as was already said
  14. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    It is vaguely polar bear-esqe! I love newfies!
  15. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    Hi Muttsrule,
    We have two & they are truly gorgeous creatures. They come out the water, stand each side of me & shake :roll:
    I've no need to have a shower that day:grin:
  16. shiba

shiba New Member

Name:
    kirstie
    Oh i missed this thread, what lovely video's.

I also heard about the "breast stroke" thing and i thought...well i didn't know that!!

Arn't they all just lush.........or am i a bit biased.:lol:
  17. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    leos swim like neffies, its hard to describe, the feet don't come up like kath said, and from bits i have seen they swim nothing like normal dogs.
    i would love to get in with ours but probably get kicked or drowned......lol
    neffies and leos have webbed toes is there any other breeds as well?
    i never get close enough to stand in the middle......lol
  18. leospride

leospride New Member

Name:
    Dee
    Yes watching the videos, leos' do swim like newfies. Being able to stand above mine in the water (equestrian pool) you can see their front legs/feet pushing the water out to the side, so in a way thats what we do when we do the breaststroke, push the water to the side with our arms/hands? Never really thought about it before :)
  19. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    Ah right! I can see where the comparison to breast stroke comes from then....... I bet they don't do the frog action with the hind legs though :mrgreen:
  20. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    well that would be a sight to see.
  21. leospride

leospride New Member

Name:
    Dee
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    no pod, they don't ;-)