Wolfhound Vs Deerhound - differences between breeds Questions

Discussion in 'Deerhound' started by adog, Nov 12, 2007.

1. adog

adog New Member

Name:
    adog

Wolfhound Vs Deerhound - differences between breeds

I am curious and interested as to what owners of these two breeds think about;

Size, difference in the weight and height (I read both are similar?)

Lifespan (Wolfhound seem to have a shorter lifespan compared to deerhound?)

Predisposed disease and health risk (Which breed is more prone to health risk and developing genetically predisposed disease?)

Temperament (How different are they?)

Shedding of coat (I read that deerhound does not but Wolfhound does?)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    By Wolfhound I take it you mean Irish Wolfhound and not Russian Wolfhound(Borzoi)!!!!!!!
  4. adog

adog New Member

Name:
    adog
    Scottish Deerhound Vs Irish Wolfhound. Sorry about that.
  5. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    What a coincidence. I've just been playing with a young Deerhound that I met out walking today. I'll pop a photo on later for you.

Anyway - there's people better placed thanme to comment on this thread but:

Size difference - Without going into figures, tall Deerhounds can be as tall as smaller IWH but on average the IWH will be taller and much heavier. Fran (Bribiba) mentioned this morning that one of hers is 39" at the shoulder. Front on you will notice that the IWH has a much broarder chest and front legs are set further apart. IWH has a more 'massive' head. Also the back end is far more pinched on a deerhound than the IWH. The legs on a deerhound are much thinner - Actually there's a quite a big difference between the two.

True - on average a deerhound has a much longer lifespan.

I'll leave temprement / health etc to those that own the breeds.
  6. adog

adog New Member

Name:
    adog
    Cheers Phil. I Would love to see the pic! :D
  7. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Just posted 3 DH pics in a new thread. Anyway, here's one. You see what I mean about them being far more slender. Note how close the front legs are together - almost touching because of the more narrow chest. See the smaller head too.

I'm sure somebody else will add an IWH picture for you to compare.

[​IMG]
  8. adog

adog New Member

Name:
    adog
    Yeah I compared some pics of both and the Wolfhound are much thicker, boxier and wider body, mouth/snot (?) and head.

Thanks for the pic, looks like a lamb there lol :D
  9. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    Ive only had irish wolfhounds so cant compare to deerhound but the iwh is a gentle giant ive had three and they are fantastic dogs very gentle, they didnt live very long sadly the oldest was 7 (gemma)and died due to kidney failure and the youngest(cassie) was 2 1/2 she had cancer of the stomach. This was our first with me and my sis[​IMG][/IMG].
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  10. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    I only have a couple of pics of the other two as polaroid cameras were popular at the time!
  11. adog

adog New Member

Name:
    adog
    What a beautiful pic you have there madisondobie. The wolfie seems so blissful and innocent in it :) The short lifespan is sad really, nuturing such a wonderful creature to that size and can only enjoy eachother's company for a few short years.
  12. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    adog - I'm sure Fran (DOGSEY member Bribiba) won't mind me posting this one again - for you for a size demo.

IWH Paddy

[​IMG][/IMG]

If you wanted to see more great pics look on the net for Bribiba
  13. MattT

MattT New Member

Name:
    Matt
    adog, I was up with the Bribiba pack this weekend. We were joined by a couple of Deerhounds for a couple of the walks, and I managed to get a couple of shots of bothe breeds, which I've added to this note.[​IMG]
  14. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Not showing up Matt :? Love to see the pics if you get it sorted
  15. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    [​IMG]
    I've seen this pic before, but eveytime i see I have to stare at if for several minutes as it just seems impossible! :lol:

I have to say IWH's are one of my dream breeds, hopefully one day I'll have one. But one thing I need to know (sorry off topic), how badly do they slobber? :shock: :lol:
  16. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    What an amazing picture, I hadn't realised the size of IWH, absolutely gorgeous!!
  17. bribiba

bribiba New Member

Name:
    Fran
    Missed all this, we have had 17 puppies over christmas (23 Wolfhounds in our house:grin: !!)and are just getting back to normal.
    Wolfhounds don't slobber, they are far to dignified for that!!:lol:
    Matt Timbers photo of a wolfhound ( Morgan) in front and deerhound (Artney) behind.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the difference in the heads [​IMG]

Wolfhounds may not live longer but I much prefer the company of my gentle giants.:)
  18. Archer

Archer New Member

Wolfhounds are MUCH more substantial than deerhounds.Deerhounds are more like a greyhound build whereas wolfhounds are HUGE not only in height but in build aswell.They are true giants.
  19. Sanders

Sanders

Name:
    Kim
    Your wolfhounds are amazing, truly gorgeous!
  20. valandra

valandra New Member

Name:
    Purdy
    OMG :shock: :shock: . No way, ive never seen a dog that big before. I seriously cant believe it. She could use it as a horse lol. If a big dogs lifespan is abou 9-12, what would a wolfhounds be? They seem really big
  21. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Didn't realise this was an old thread until my heart jumped when I saw Lovezois post.
    Oh I do miss her :-(