Health issues with NIDs Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by tina33, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I'm sorry tina33 but I agree with Fudgeley.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    Yes, I agree with Fudgeley completely. All breeds have their problems and it would be an usual breed in the extreme if every breeder did everything by the book. I don't see why the NI should be expected to be any different.

Also, differences between breed clubs are not usual either. Take the GSD for instance. The two distinct factions in the breed are forever criticising each other over health problems (amoungst other things) that occur in their populations.
  4. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of two puppies; that must be devastating for the owners. If it would help, and if you would like to, you could post a tribute to them in our Gone But Not Forgotten section:

http://www.dogsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Sorry Pod :) but I think there is big difference here :) take the GSDs you mention, divided or not they have a clearly accessible breeders charter and breed improvement schemes and everything is spelt out for perspective owners of the breed with regard to health issues . As with many other breeds they may disagree on some aspects of the breed but I bet they work as one group when it comes to health issues, and there is information out there with regard to breeding lines and finding a reliable breeders for perspective owners to find .
  6. running cloud

running cloud New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    As a member of the NI Society i have to mention something that seems to have gone amiss on here.
    We are encouraged to fill in health check forms every year on our dogs so that if there is any pattern of illness or problems of concern they can be picked up and acted on as quickly as possible!

All members are constantly reminded by our health Co-ordinator (For want of a better name) via our shows and forum to fill in these forms,if members /owners ignore this it cannot be the fault of the Society who is doing all in its power to keep a constant check on health issues.

I as a member feel happy with the checks that are in place and have no health issues with any of my 3 Ni's which all come from differant breeders.

I hope this makes things a little clearer for you all.
  7. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Running Cloud :) you are encouraged to fill in the forms, what about insisting health checks are carried before people are allowed to breed and be recognised as a breeder by the NIS , (and I mean not just health check on dogs born after 2006 either ,on all breeding stock) .

Where is the advice for prospective owners,where can they go see the Code of Ethics for the breeders, who is monitoring the age of the stock used for breeding ,who is approving the breeders, regulating the numbers of litters born to any one bitch . In most established breeds there is a code of ethics, not foolproof I know but ethical breeders will do all in their power to prevent and monitor health problems in their breed, established breeders have reputations to uphold too. This is all relevant to the health of a breed.

I was looking at the NI website this morning,the first site that comes up if you are looking for info on NIs, it doesn't contain much information on health and testing for owners and prospective owners, it seems more concerned with selling puppies and advertising stud dogs. http://northerninuit.moonfruit.com/

Sorry if I appear to be labouring a point :) I am neutral and don't have allegiances with any of the groups . I have received PMs from concerned parties on all sides wishing to find some answers to questions that they can't ask elsewhere.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I looked at the link mini posted, its no wonder people are asking questions when you find adverts to breeders with statements such as:

***** has a lovely long coat. (NOT acceptable in the NI standard) then goes on....

On Friday 13th ***** gave birth to her first litter, 3 girls and one little boy.

Then to my amazement goes on to say:
    BVA hipscore. To be Xrayed.

Its no wonder peopel are confused, especially when this site is linked from the NIS and the website states "British Inuit" I am confused to say the least.
  9. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod

Hi Mini :)

Don't forget the GSD is a breed with a relatively long history, and was well established before ever reaching the UK. This together with it's comparatively huge population has ensured that there is adequate resources to build on.

Also, unlike the NI, the GSD has recognition as a breed. The German governing body, the SV, is very strict in breeding protocol, and every country in the world that has a Canine network recognises the breed.

In the UK the breed clubs have a Breed Council and ultimately the KC as a governing body. Never-the-less there is still much in-fighting in the breed. The recent KC sponsored health survey for instance. There was no input from the breed. The German/continental faction have different clubs and work separtately from the UK (Alsatian) type.

As new breeds the NI and Utonagans don't have the benefit of any of this. It has to be up to the owners/breeders to decide amongst themselves such crucial aspects as, the standard, health testing, breeding protocol etc.... without the help of any overseeing body.

I think we are all aware of the controversy surrounding the foundation of these breeds, not least in respect of health testing of the founder stock, but it's so easy to be wise in hindsight. I think the mistakes have been adequately acknowledged, and the breeders/owners now responsible for the furture of their breeds do seem to be addressing this.
  10. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Pod just in answer to the last bit of your post, I would like to think that they are doing there best to further the breed, but alas there has been puppies born up here and the parents are not yet hip scored, and I know the president of the N.I society owned the male previously !
  11. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    This post has been reported:

If you make statements like this you need to provide proof to back them up - otherwise it is just hearsay.
  12. takiya-mist

takiya-mist New Member

Name:
    CARMEN
    I think this thread should be locked as there are a lot of UNTRUE and SLANDEROUS comments. Please do not bring my pup into this horrible thread let her rest in peaceThankyou
  13. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    how sad :( poor little pups - run free little ones and (((hugs))) to their owners.

It does seem - going back to the link Mini posted - that all 'most' northern inuit breeders are interested in is money . :-?
    Some who are very prominant in the society (so one is to assume that they are setting an example so to speak) are known for only to be operating for money in other species. Why should they be any different with dogs?

Terrible practices.

xx
  14. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Been quite quiet though from the folks in question !
  15. Scottish Mags

Scottish Mags

Name:
    Margaret NI Society
    I do not believe you are OFF again !
    You will get no answers from me as I am disgusted with the slanderous comments and libellious remarks you make.
    Tina 33 or whoever you are ...You are a troublemaker with a capital T .
    I really dont care why you are interested in the health issues of the NI as when ANYONE tries to answer you... (on your last but same topic thread ), all you have done is badmouth them , their organisation and get your cronies to post for you
    Dogsey is now one horrible place to be IT IS EVIL
    Why are you interested? First it was about the pup that died ????? next it is everything and anyone in your way that gets it.. You dont really want an Ni so I suggest you go wash your mouth out with carbolic soap . Dont answer.. I WONT BE HERE You will end up talking to yourself or AZZ . 2 of a Bl***dy kind
  16. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    She has`nt stated specific names [ unless I`ve missed ny such posts ? ], and slander or libel can only be classified as such when names are mentioned.
    She has however been pulled up already by Azz for making a statement with nothing factual to back it up.
    A lot of people have asked about health issues but have had little or no answers to their questions. A couple of people, to their great credit, have tried to be open but are restricted by how little they themselves are `allowed` to know, at least thats how it looks.

Sorry but what a ridiculous statement.

I don`t want one either, so sue me :roll:
    However, I and others are interested in finding out facts about all sorts of breeds and it does`nt matter what anyones reasons may be quite frankly, its up to each individual if they want to ask questions about any breed for whatever reason they see fit :smt102

About that bar of carbolic....
  17. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Your outburst has led to a 3 day ban, and earned you 3 infraction points. Another outburst and you will be given a perm ban.

If you have a problem with a thread use the report post icon like everyone else.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.