Belgian Shepherd Dog Discussions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Groenendael)' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    Here's a few pictures of my current Terv, hopefully they show the different sides of her character:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's very different in some ways to my first two Tervs one of whom had a US sire. In the last photo she's actually taking off too far away (the jump is not full WTs length anyway) but it was I thought a good one.

Belgians generally are not recommended as "first dogs" - better to get some dog experience first. And, when the first BSD is a member of the family, ensure everyone involved with the dog has a sense of humour as it will almost certainly be needed ;)

Wys
    x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    Hey fantastic photos Wys. What a super dog!
  4. DanishPastry

DanishPastry New Member

Name:
    Anne
    WYS has learned to post pictures! :mini: :smt038 :smt035 :smt026 :smt041

She is gorgeous. How is she generally with other dogs? Does she tolerate a lot?
  5. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay

Thanks! I have hundreds of photos of her! It's not easy selecting just a few :grin:

Wys
    x
  6. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay

I am quite proud I have learnt at last :lol: It took me long enough :blush:

She's generally good with other dogs - she likes to say hallo and then move on, but with a few she will play. She has her "special" friends - no BSD! but 2 beardies, 1 flatcoat and 1 golden ;-)

Wys
    x
  7. DanishPastry

DanishPastry New Member

Name:
    Anne
    We need to see lots more pictures of her I think.. :smt002
  8. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    Ok I'd love to, but let's have a piccie of your girl too - you first! :mrgreen:

Wys
    x
  9. DanishPastry

DanishPastry New Member

Name:
    Anne
    you know asking me for pictures is dangerous... I tend to go overboard :lol:
    I'll try and control myself :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(last two from last time we were in competition)
  10. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    They are great action piccies! :grin: Indy is reminding me very much of my first Belgian Terv girl in them.

She seems keen on her agility too :grin: :smt026
    How did she do in the competition?

Wys
    x
  11. DanishPastry

DanishPastry New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Apart from messing up the weaves in all four runs she did quite well. I finished in the middle of both open runs, which was okay as she is yet unexperienced with competitions. If I get her weaves right she will get good!
    Then of course there is the wheel... now in the pic she is flying through it like she has never known differently, but in reality it is her least favourite obstacle, and as it was placed as second jump, she was plotting from before starting not to do it. Instead she did jump nr 1, looked at me once and turned sharp right and onto the dogwalk :lol: ... I had to call her about 4 times before she got back off it, and we could continue our run, but then she did the wheel perfect so she hadn't had to make all that trouble to begin with :lol:
    Fortunately there was no wheel in any of the other classes on the day :mrgreen: :smt002
    She did improve in some things, especially her willingnes to work away from me (my trainer calls her the velcro dog:p ) and seeking the jumps herself.
    I am not entirely sure what went wrong with the weaves, I think I forgot to take a deep breath and get my adrenalin down. She does not do any type of pressure! But that is my problem to work on.
  12. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    She will get them! how are you teaching them? I used shaping but i know there's several ways to teach them :)

Banya used to do very similar when she was not happy with the contacts (long story) and would "offer" believe it or not of all things the weave!!! :shock: funny girl ;-)

Wys
    xx
  13. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    Some more piccies:

[​IMG]

In this one she's just found an article in the search square and is bringing it to me:

[​IMG]

I clicker trained her to hold all articles at the front of her mouth.

Wys
    x
  14. DanishPastry

DanishPastry New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Banya is such an impressive looking dog! And so well trained, I do envy your skills and patience!

Re the weaves, she has learned them to a degree, as she can do many flawless weave-runs at training class, and indeed also have done clear ones in competition before. I think the problem was that in training I was moving on a bit with her, from her watching me through every weave, to her working a bit more independently, which worked well in training, but not with the added nerves of competition.
    I am setting up a row here at home, and will bring the clicker and some yummi treats out. What I need is for her to offer it, or at least seek it out a bit more willingly, not wait for me to talk her through it. I think :lol:
  15. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    I've so enjoyed training her, she loves to be doing things and yet at the same time manages to "challenge" my own skills to the full - monkey! :)

It might have worked, you never know, but you know the problem and can easily solve it with your skills and knowledge ;-) . I think we need another piccie of Miss Indy please! :mrgreen:

Wys
    x
  16. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Fantastic photos Wys and Danish - you have amazing Tervs. Just gorgeous.
  17. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    Thanks Moobli, :grin:

Wys
    x
  18. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    We have 5 dogs, My 3 BCs & my o/Hs grons, heres a few pics

Perdi

[​IMG]

Lily with Mav

[​IMG]

All getting on well
    [​IMG]

Me & lily on the day we got her

[​IMG]
  19. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg New Member

Name:
    Lindsay
    Great photos, I love the first one especially :grin:

I've noticed they are bringing back the working dog tests in the BSD breed so that will be something interesting to check out ...:)

Wys
    x
  20. DanishPastry

DanishPastry New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Mishflynn, your dogs are very beautiful :smt001
  21. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    oooo great pics! i like Belgian Shepherds! :D