Lowchen or chinese crested - What breed is best for me? Questions

Discussion in 'Lowchen' started by madisondobie, Feb 18, 2008.

1. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie

Lowchen or chinese crested - What breed is best for me?

Hi everyone,
    Im looking for a new addition to my family and have taken a liking to chinese crested and lowchens - does anyone on here have experience living with either breed?
    what are like with other dogs, would they enjoy agility? and do they suffer with seperation anxiety - i work as a dog walker so they would be able to come with me on some walks but may be left for 2-3 hours sometimes with the company of my dobie.
    I have researched both breeds but would love to know what they are actually like to live with.
    Thanks mel
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. standardnuttydo

standardnuttydo New Member

Name:
    anne
    Hi Madisondobie

I have a Chinese Crested who is adorable, she is quite shy with people at first but loves other dogs no matter what size.
    Like you I am a dog walker & minder and she comes out for walks with me but does not mind in the least staying in bed.

My friend has a Lowchen who I would say is very much like the CC's in temprement and also loves walking.

So why not get one of each!!!!

Please let me know what you decide on
    Anne & Tallulah:
  4. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    Thanks for the info yours sounds lovely:smt007 , do you think they would enjoy agility? would love to get one of each but madison already takes up half my bed so think if i got a chinese crested and a lowchen i would definately be sleeping on the floor:lol: would love to see a picture of yours, i met a couple at discover dogs but it was so busy i didnt get a chance to ask too many questions. mel
    p.s Isnt being a dog walker the best job.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  5. standardnuttydo

Name:
    anne
    Mel,
    When I went to the Wag n Bone show Tallulah went in for the hurdle race and won, she wizzed over so yes they love jumping, although the obedience side does need alot to be desired. If you want to do agility and you start them young I am sure they will do ok.

They do need sun cream on especially if they have pale markings. I love buying her clothes so being bald is a good excuse to help my passion ( she has over 50 outfits).

As for being a dog walker I adore it but one dog knocked me over yesterday and I have broken my thumb. OUCH.
    Anne
  6. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    I have`nt had the pleasure of meeting any Lowchens in agility but from what I`ve read up on their general traits I would say very likely to be promising, [ though it must be said no dog of any breed should be got `specifically` for agility which I know you would`nt do so its more a general comment in that there are no guarantees that a dog `will` be an agility prospect purely based on breed ;-) ]

So as I can`t comment specifically about Lowchens because I don`t know enough about them yet, I`ll let someone who does have the experience speak instead

http://www.taywil-lowchen.com/htm/agility.html

HTH :grin:
  7. Pippin

Pippin New Member

Name:
    Su
    I have had a crested cross, lost her just before this xmas age 16 and a half, had her from 12hrs old...i would love to get a nothre one she was the most fun loving adorable inteligant little creature ever ..she would have loved to do agility if there was a big fluffy cushion at the end and perhaps some oil of ulay to rub on her belly....
  8. standardnuttydo

Name:
    anne
  9. Pippin

Pippin New Member

Name:
    Su
    omg she is soo gorgus..now i know i want one..my little girl was a poodle cross but you wouldnt have guesess she had one poodle curl but every part of her was a crested and she knew she was gorgus..su
  10. standardnuttydo

Name:
    anne
  11. standardnuttydo

Name:
    anne
    [​IMG]
    THIS IS TALLULAH
  12. standardnuttydo

Name:
    anne
    [​IMG]

TALLULAH YET AGAIN
  13. standardnuttydo

Name:
    anne
    [​IMG]

AND AGAIN
  14. Pippin

Pippin New Member

Name:
    Su
    wow what a star think im smitten...su
  15. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    Hi patch thanks for that link some great pics and lots of info too - i definately wouldnt get a dog just for agility its just i enjoy it more then i thought i would with madison and thought if im gonna get a small dog id love one thats active and might enjoy giving it a go.

Tallulah is gorgeous :007: - she has movie star looks with that hair and she has more clothes then me bless her.

Boy i think this decision is going to be hard :cry:

Mel
  16. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    I think its brilliant that you are looking at it the right way around, you are looking at what sort of dogs might like an activity you would to love to offer, not looking for a dog to do an activity just because you want a dog for it, I wish more people thought that way, you are a lovely example of having the right reasons for aspects of considering a future dog :grin:

Is`nt she lovely, I hope we`ll be seeing a lot of her in the Virtual Show :mrgreen:

Can`t help you there :lol:
  17. Pia Kirke

Pia Kirke New Member

Name:
    Pia
  18. Pia Kirke

Pia Kirke New Member

Name:
    Pia
    Azz likes this.
    Hi Lowchens are fun loving and do well in many sports agility, obedience, rallyo, tracking, fly ball, dog dancing, endurance. hope this helps