2 irish staffy bitches - what to expect? Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by jenks, Mar 9, 2008.

1. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Have seen blues go for 2k round here Dawn, and non KC reg blues go for 1k! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is something I hate, charging more for colour. I purposely chose Dusty (silver dapple) from her breeder because she was selling her at the same price as her b&t brother and sister. Not a cost issue but an ethical one. I'd saw some silver dapples going for twice what I bought Dusty for just because of their colour.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    who's there?
  4. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Sure you are correct I thought I had seen a solid black but perhaps in a different light it would have been brindle. Mined you, and I am sure you know better than I do, but the standard does list solid black as an acceptable colour. Have to say those I saw that I though were black looked wonderful such a sheen on their coats.

Must say most are red brindle or white with black and you do see a fair number of blue but I had never seen many solids of any colour.
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Perhaps just doing it for the "right" reasons and not purely for financial gain. You get good and bad in all breeds.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Mmm not sure I agree with that Sal, but i can tell you that you certainly DO get solid black "Irish" Staffs! :002: :001:
  7. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    I think the Black Brindle's do have a lovely shine on their coats,moreso than other colours,you can really see the shine on Megs but because Tyler is white with Brindle patches it's only his patches that you you can see the shine on lol :lol:
  8. sky_high_bluest

sky_high_bluest New Member

Name:
    dave
    you are so right Dawn it's such a shame!
  9. jenks

jenks New Member

Name:
    colin
    one of pups had to have surgery on leg it jumped and fractured it asked for a blood sample incase any pit is in her picked her up today they said no pit in her lines also checked out breeder with police they said they checked out his dogs none are pits, and all are good tempermant
  10. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    you had a blood-test done at the vets to ascertain whether your dog is a pit/has pit in her lines? didn't know this sort of thing could be done by your vet?
  11. jenks

jenks New Member

Name:
    colin
    yeah they also do it wen police bring in dogs they think have pits in them so they can put it dwn
  12. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Wonder how you can tell breed by blood, parents yes, species yes, but breed, that is a new one to me anyone any details?
  13. sky_high_bluest

sky_high_bluest New Member

Name:
    dave
    It's Boll*ks Pita the only way they tell if it's a pit type is by an assment! this is now carried out by two dog handlers, originaly they had a so called expert to guide them but he was an animal!! he would have called a jack russ' a pit bull to meet his targets! the reason I know this is my friend is a police dog handler and I have also had the police around to my house to test my dog! there is NO blood test that can tell what breed your dog is! trust me I asked my vet for some sort of test when Saffie was visited! he told me it was Impossable!
  14. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
  15. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Fascinating! :grin: Thank you.....spent a good half hour gathering info, and signed up for a newsletter. Are you aware of any commercial testing in UK Pod? I would love to get a DNA analysis of my SE Asian pariah dog....(slightly off-topic sorry guys).

Mary
  16. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Sadly the whole is it a pit bull is it not is a very grey area, even two dog handlers,,,well its not really accurate,,is it, I fear many staff x labs staff x whatever were pts whent the whole thing about pits came in, I also feel a fair few pits would have slipped through the net,,,

I would personaly hate to have to be the one making the choice, there are such a wide variation in the breeds involved, eg,,staff x staffies also can be quite diff in looks form breeder to breeder, the there would be pit x's
    such a nightmare :-(
  17. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    i thought that these were only in the USA though.. and that they were unreliable..
  18. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Hmmm, wonder why the police didn't do this then rather than relying on character and type assessment? :neutral:
  19. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    I think there is a blood test the police do and can do,
    but its to see if any of the dogs tested have the same dna as dogs seized from dog fighing circles.
    Its just to see if they have any of the fighting lines in them, of dogs they have seized and know to be for fighting.
    And if they do have them lines in them, then obviously they class those dogs as pitbull terriers.
    But it cant actually tell you the breed of a dog...thats not true!
  20. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    A blood test can't determine breed,After what went on in merseyside I wouldn't trust the police as far as I could throw them, and as for blood testing to see if there from fighting lines :roll: :roll: I've heard it all now :roll: :roll:
  21. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    I know it sounds far fetched but it is true!
    It in no way can determine the breed of the dog... but they would say that it is a pitbull terrier if it had the same blood lines as the dogs they seized for fighting.
    But it could be a staffy, staffy x or any other breed for that matter, but they would just assume it would be a pitbull terrier!
    I agree with you I wouldnt trust them either!
    And I dont think its a good or accurate way to do it...but they do.