Komondors in Australia General Chat

Discussion in 'Komondor' started by Leema, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Leema

Leema New Member

Name:
    Tegan

Komondors in Australia

I am interested in the komondor breed, but there are very few in Australia and currently no breeders in Australia. I am planning to meet with an ex-breeder and now 'just' owner sometime, but was curious to hear what opinions/experiences people here have had with this breed.

The appealing thing, to me, with this breed is:
    *Very unusual striking appearance, of course!
    *Low-shedding coat (from my interpretation, when coat is maintained as cords)
    *All descriptions of their personality are appealing to me
    *Guardian breed
    *Big dog!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Understand the cords take a good deal of work but I have never owned one. Not sure how they would take to your climate, although I see you are on the south coast.
  4. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I have met a few as we are always near them at Discover Dogs and my main observation of them is that they stink .... and these are well kept ones at Crufts dog show!
  5. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Didn't like to say that Muddi, bit like the Otterhounds however well kept they always seem to wiff.
  6. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I remember them well Ju :mrgreen: and yes they do stink ! :lol:
  7. Leema

Leema New Member

Name:
    Tegan
    Pita, I believe the coats are a bit of work to establish (i.e. get into cords), but only moderate work to maintain as cords... I believe.

A few people have now told me that the discover dogs smelt... Do ones that weren't the Discover Dogs smell too? What's the smell like?
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    I think the fact that they smell means people wash them frequently and that with some of the natural grease removed it is a good deal of work to retain the dreadlocks.

I don't know for a fact, one lady that was at training classes with me had hers living in the house and washed him a good deal, he still smelt and his coat was more of a birds nest than dreadlocks so I formed the opinion that in order to deal with the smell she bathed him and that meant the coat did not form the stringy bits that most of them you see have. Think they must be kept in kennels as you could not live with them in the house.

What does it smell like, well that is a bit subjective but I would say a combination of rancid fat, dirty shower curtains and cats pee. How would others that have had the pleasure discribe it, I know you move a way as quickly as possible but think back and do your best.
  9. CLMG

CLMG New Member

Name:
    Christine
    I'd never heard of these dogs before, so I googled them, they look gorgeous, but hard work :grin: good luck with your search :grin:

While I was searching google, I came across this pic, and it made me smile :grin: so I thought I'd share, hope you don't mind :grin:

[​IMG]
  10. Leema

Leema New Member

Name:
    Tegan
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Very lovely! Now I must meet one in person to have a whiff.

CLMG, I love that photo. Their cords are so very very impressive...
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    They are not very common in the UK in fact they are on the Import Register which in it's self tells you there are very few being registered. The Kennel Club's interim standard says

"Coat
    Long coarse outer coat, which may be wavy or curly, with softer undercoat. Hair tends to cling together like tassels, giving a corded appearance. Cords of an adult strong and heavy, and felt-like to touch. If neglected, forms into large, matted ‘plates’. Coat longest on rump, loins and tail, of medium length on back, shoulders and chest, shorter on cheeks, around eyes, mouth and lower parts of legs. Coat is fairly slow in cording and may not be fully formed before two years of age. Puppy coat should be soft and fluffy, adult coat usually starts appearing 6-9 months of age. Presented corded."

By the way in the UK it is in the Pastoral not the Working Group
  12. churchville

churchville New Member

Name:
    Ant
    This is a breed ive always had a soft spot for !!
    I used to have a white puli .. which are very similar only a lot smaller!! The dreadlocks where pretty consistent by the time he was 13/14 months old and did not need much maintenance ( apart from occasionally separating and removing the twigs he picked up from the garden! )