Northern Inuit Husky puppies General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by inkliveeva, Jun 12, 2008.

1. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Okay, purely in the spirit of being helpful... And as this genuinely confused me when I first joined this site, I had not heard of the Northern Inuit, so had to do some homework.

A siberian cross malamute is commonly known as a 'Huskamute' but is still just a husky/malamute crossbreed. The word 'Huskamute' is a portmanteau word (word that takes the beginning of one word and adds the end of another to create a new word that includes the meaning of both parent words), you need to add a german shepherd to the mix for it to be of the 'Northern Inuit' type. After breeding these crosses together the Northern Inuit society, the British Inuit society and a couple of other groups are breeding these type dogs to create a Northern Inuit breed that will if mated together always produce pups of the same type, thus making them a true 'breed' which could then be registered with the Kennel club as a new breed.

At this time, this new breed 'the Northern Inuit' has yet to be recognised by the Kennel club and so is still effectively a crossbreed.

Within the breed you need to have papers from one of the societies to truly claim your dog to be 'Northern Inuit'. For instance I own a Huskamute (Husky/malamute cross) If I were to mate her to a german shepherd, the resulting puppies would be Husky/malamute/shepherd mixes and not Northern inuits, though if I were unscrupulous I could advertise them as Northern inuit type dogs. Unless one of the societies that are creating and registering this type of dog were to sanction my new puppies I could not 'officially' call them Northern inuits, nor show them in any NI shows.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    It makes it a crossbreed :roll:
    A northern inuit is one thing a husky is another thing I hate to say it but there is no such thing as a Northern Inuit husky its just another friggin crossbreed :evil:
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    And yet..he still knows better LOL..

We KNOW because we debate about Northern Inuits ALL day long on here..

AND because most people research the breeds of dog you are going to bring into your home..therefore we KNOW based on research..
  5. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    it's the ultimate irony really

a crossbreed made from a crossbreed!

to be fair to our new member i suspect they are young and inexperienced...i have noted that this person has been researching the dogsey breed pages, so might seem happy to learn?
  6. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    No, I'm afraid that makes it a mongrel! It might well be a gorgeous mongrel, but still a mongrel.

Mick
  7. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Gosh I never knew that and I worked in a library for 27 years:blush: You learn something new every day:grin:
  8. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I learned it in my brief foray into working in the 'edutainment' industry, I was working with the Disney 'Imagineers' and my life was full of portmanteaus!

I suppose it only stood to reason I would eventually end up with a portmanteau dog :)
  9. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hey,

My mom's family are from Siciliy & Italy, my Dad's family are from England. Am I a mongrel? :grin:

(Sorry - couldn't resist! :twisted: )

I think maybe you're right about the new member though. Should go a little easy on him if he's still trying to learn. I'd love one of these dogs but it won't be until the distant future when I know as much about mals, huskys etc as I do GSDs. It's easy to get confused trying to remember which breeds were crossed with which to produce a certain breed and then so many are crossed again with some claiming another new breed. What chance do noewcomers have really - particularly when reading adverts for pups for sale.

Laura xx

Laura xx
  10. gndamgt36

gndamgt36 New Member

Name:
    Donna
    HI all

Reading your threads....An Inuit Husky is actually known more appropriately as a Canadian Eskimo dog. It is also known as a Gronlandshund.

Though I haven't seen a picture of your dog...if you research Canadian Eskimo dog - you will see the similarities in colouring.

Hope this helps.
  11. gndamgt36

gndamgt36 New Member

Name:
    Donna
    Plus, if you want to talk about cross breeds - who would pay $1200 for a godoodle (golden retriever/poodle) or any of the many "toy" dogs that people continue to cross breed for the sake of doing it. And the CKC and other breeding associations suddenly recognize these as a breed - they are cross breeds...I don't understand.

Mind you I have a beautiful pure bred Blue Heeler - Austrialian Cattle Dog - and she is a cross breed - a Dingo and Border Collie - but you couldn't have gotten a better dog...
  12. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Not in the UK it isn't. For the past few years, our Kennel Club has recognised both the Greenland Dog and the Canadian Eskimo Dog as similar but separate breeds.

The Inuit Sled Dog International refers to the Inuit Dog as follows:

http://www.inuitsleddoginternational.com/

The Northern Inuit Husky referred to in this thread is actually none of these things but a relatively recent "invention" here in the UK derived from GSDs, Malamutes, Siberian Huskies and possibly some imported strays of impossible provenance from the US.

Mick
  13. geezer

geezer New Member

Name:
    Jon
    As opposed to what? Old and patronising?:grin:
  14. Krusewalker

Krusewalker

Name:
    kiwi
    blimey

how many bits per second is your connection?
  15. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    6JRT's likes this.
    Are you havin a laugh!!!! You'd soon find out if the breed is true by the kennel club. Why do people play god mixing all these breeds together then calling them trendy to charge mega bucks for puppy's.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014