Question about Border Terriers Questions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by mezeta, Jun 18, 2008.

1. mezeta

mezeta New Member

Name:
    Amy

Question about Border Terriers

Hi everyone,

My name is Amy I am new here. I don't have a dog yet I am just researching what breed would fit in best with us as a family

We have owned dogs before and they have always been Border Collies but we are now looking for a smaller sized dog and like the look/sound of the Border Terriers so I was just wondering if any of you lot have experience with Border Terriers and what your views of them are?

Also (not a major concern just a query) I know Border Terriers have a course top fur but a soft undercoat I was just wondering if when they are hand stripped if the fur feels softer? I have also read you are not to clip them as this ruins the fur but I was wondering if this is is because you don't get the course fur back or if it just really makes a mess of the fur?

Sorry for the list of questions and sorry becasue the questions are going to sound dumb to everyone who knows about Border Terriers :blush:

Thanks in advance :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    I cant help you but borderdawn will no doubt be along soon with alot of advice.
  4. mezeta

mezeta New Member

Name:
    Amy
    lol I have only been on here 5 mins and noticed Borderdawn hoping she would reply lol
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Mezeta :) I have know a number of Border Terriers , they are great little dogs very alert and always ready to go . Someone at work has one too, Lottie with a lovely temperament .

Borderdawn will be able to tell you lots about them if she sees the thread.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi there!
    Borders in the right home are fantastic! They are energetic, bouncey, full of fun and ready for anything. They are a working Terrier with all those inherited instincts that will kick in like lightening if you dont get basic control when they are youngsters. They generally get on well with children and other pets (providing they are "yours") anything else will be fair game!

Coats need stripping about 3 times a year, the undercoat will be exposed when the top coat is stripped, yes it is soft and is NOT weatherproof. It will take a good while for the new coat to come through, but they look great when it does. Clipping ruins the coat, it destroys the top coat and within a few clips the top coat will start to pale and the coat overall will become soft, fluffy not weatherproof and generally "wrong"

Anything else, just ask! If you are in the Midlands, you are welcome to visit my Dogs if it will help you make the right decision regarding this breed.
    Dawn.
  7. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Have to say one of the nicest dogs I meet on my walks is a border terrier but I have to say he is a terrier in the best sense of the word, whereas my Stafford is a terrier by name only.
  8. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    3hrs before a reply :shock: , thats really below par for you. :lol:
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I know!! really must pay more attention!
  10. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Can I add another question? Would Border Terriers be ok for someone with a mild allergy to dogs? (Someone who lives with a Westie with only occasional sneezes because of him)
  11. Leema

Leema New Member

Name:
    Tegan
    Borderdawn answered the questions as I would've, so I have nothing more to say. :D

As for allergies - It depends! The best advice would be to go spend some time in a home with border teriers and see if you react to them. Are you allergic to hair, dander or saliva? Regardless, if you have an interest in the breed, and considering getting one, then the best strategy would be to spend some time in a breeders' home. Most breeders will be happy to do this to ensure it's the type of dog you could live with BEFORE you get the dog!

That being said... I would be surprised if a BT caused a more severe reaction than a Westie. :)