Newfoundlands info please General Chat

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by elaineb, Jun 30, 2008.

1. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine

Newfoundlands info please

We have been thinking for a long time now about getting a Newfoundland pup. We have just lost our lovely Jake and we have Ben of course.
    Before we got Ben I still wanted a Newfoundland but with him only being a pup and having a nervous nature we thought we would leave it awhile until Ben becomes more confident.
    I have done the research and still would love a Newfie!!
    I am thinking about next year so I thought I would give myelf plenty of time.
    Does anyone here have a Newfoundland? Can you tell me all about them, where you got him/her? what was he/she like as a pup etc.
    A nice diary would be nice and fun too.:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. HannahCB

HannahCB New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    Hmm, well im not very good at explaining things but here goes. I have Noah who is nine months old and he is the best natured dog i have ever know, extemely friendly and loves to please. He loves being around people and would sit on your knee and go to sleep (if i would let him) He's very well behaved with my little boy (4) and they are never apart. However theres alot of hair lol and has a terrible addiction to water and jumping in lakes. As you can see im totally smitten
  4. Boxacrazy

Boxacrazy New Member

Name:
    Boxacrazy
    My friend has a few, they are great!
    Although she is also a dog groomer and is used to all the coat care that they need.

A little tale to tell was once when we shared a hotel room going to a Ch show at Doncaster race course, we had my boxer Abby and her newf mate Willow bouncing off both the twin beds...:eek:
  5. HannahCB

HannahCB New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    you can borrow mine for a day if you want, i dont live far lol
  6. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Here's a little something I posted here before

Things a potential Newfoundland owner should know....

They shed like it's their ambition in life to be bald. That's just the normal every day shedding. Coat blowing time is like a blizzard of hair. And it gets everywhere...you will never again eat a meal that does not come with added Newfie fur. I am still trying to figure out how yoghurt manufacturers know to add brown fur to my yoghurts specifically as every pot I open has at least one.

They drool. Some drool more than others but they all drool. Most people don't realise that dried drool sets like concrete and nothing shifts it. You will spend more time than you care to think about trying to shift drool from walls and ceilings as a head shake can distribute the stuff over a wide area. You will inevitably get droll in your cornflakes/coffee/much needed glass of vino (if you don;t drink now, you will when you own a Newf...it's a coping mechanism...you can't worry about how you'll get at the spots of dried drool at the top of the curtains if you're too pi$$ed to focus on them). That seemingly random headshake is surprisingly accurate in it's aim. One final thing about drool...you will ALWAYS have some on your clothes, be it your scruffiest dog walking gear or your best bib & tucker. Don't believe me? Have a good look at the next Newfie owner you meet.... Drool is often a deal breaker. You will find out quickly who your REAL friends are.

The taste of drool and hair will no longer be a mystery to you. A Newf owner won't even be grossed out by that thought.

Your house will never be properly clean again. Although they are an excellent cover for those of us who fall somewhat short of domestic goddess.

Wet is a constant state for them...consequently, it will become a constant state for everything they come into contact with. That includes you.

They are the original velcro dog and need human company. When you get a Newf you acquire a 55kg+ shadow with a penchant for leaning on you every time you stop for more than a second. You are unlikely to ever have a pee in peace ever again.

They are not the couch potato that they are often portrayed to be. They are a working dog bred for strength and stamina. If you forget this, your Newf will remind you in ways that will cost a lot of time and money to rectify.

They are expensive. Like every giant breed they need everything in the biggest sizes. Vet bills are bigger, food bills are bigger. Laundry and dry-cleaning bills are bigger (see previous notes on 'hair' and 'drool'). You will need a bigger car.

Every conversation you ever have with a stranger will involve them saying something along the lines of 'Wouldn't like to see your food bills' then guffawing wildly like it's the funniest thing they've heard all century. You will learn to smile whilst biting your tongue and silently remind yourself that 'little amuses the simple'.
  7. HannahCB

HannahCB New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    i love this its so true, i find hair in yoghurt pots even when i have just opened it
  8. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    I always accepted it as normal...until my non-dog owning friends assured me that it's definitely not :shock: :lol:
  9. shiba

shiba New Member

Name:
    kirstie
    I have just spent the last 4 hours, washing, drying gooming and trimming. I am wet through and covered head to toe in black hair. This is my life tonight. Now off for a shower and bed:lol:

I will be going to bed once i get my doggy cloth and wipe of the drool that has gone rock hard on my wall, that i have just seen.

Newfoundlands tend to take over your life, i was just telling my neighbours i should have chosen a great dane as my whole evening was taken over with keeping my girls coats up togeather.

I wouldn't swap them for the world, but you do need a lot of time for them. I am always grooming, or walking, or mopping up messing foot prints, or wiping slobber or filling water bowls etc. Its just the way it is :lol:
  10. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    do you really mean that I would love to borrow him for the day:026: :026: :026:
  11. HannahCB

HannahCB New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    Yes sure you could
  12. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    I don't often look on here but I would really like to know if you have managed to meet up with HannahCC's little monster and how you got on :)

We have two Newfies and everything Shaynlola and Shiba have written is true :lol:

I think I've mentioned before that ours don't seem to be too bad on the drool thing but they are not exempt :lol: Hair, well yes they are moulting now and hair seems to be everywhere, OH was going crazy until I bought a Bosch industrial vacuum cleaner I had seen in my woodworking machinery catalogue :lol: :roll:

But as said above they are truly wonderful dogs, once they settle with you then they will be your constant and faithful companion for life. They love people but will warn you of strangers so IMO they make a good early warning system, especially at night.

We just could not imagine life without them now, they go everywhere with us, and our friends either like them or they are not our friends anymore :lol:
  13. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Unfortunalty no:-( But I am still yearning for one:grin:
  14. DippyLeo

DippyLeo New Member

Name:
    DippyLeo
    I am part of a forum that would be most helpful on living with newfoundland almost 'diary' like but can't seem to post a link .... is it not allowed? :-(
  15. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    DL - Yes, the system has been set to detect other dog chat forums and the LHM has decided not to allow them, well it's his site so I guess he has the right to do that.

However, I think you can put it in a PM so if you have time I'd really appreciate you PMing me, or if thats still doesn't work give me the name and I'm sure Mr. Google will find it for me. Thanks.
  16. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule New Member

Name:
    Debs
    Hi,
    I have 2 four month old Newfie girls. I agree with all that has been written, and yet there is something more... I have owned several different breeds in the past and none of them come close to a Newf. They are the most loving and gentle breed I've ever met. I went to the breeder to buy one dog and came away several weeks later with 2.
    There is a Newfie bug, and if you get bitten by it, you're hooked for life. My 2 angels fitted perfectly into my home, with another older lady and 3 kids. They have an uncanny knack of worming their way into your heart - even the stroppiest tantrum melts with a kiss from one of our Newf babies.
    In case you cant tell Im a truely converted Newfie nut.
  17. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    Welcome to the nut house :lol: We have two girls also, one was rejected by her first owner and might have been PTS she had a lot of problems when we first had her but has now become the most loving and gentle dog you could imagine.
  18. Daljit105

Daljit105 New Member

Name:
    Daljit
    I have to say I have had my baby for over 2 years and she is fantastic and they do have the most amazing personalities! My girl refuses to go on a walk unless 2 people are present! and she loves the attention because face it, if you have a newfoundland you have to accept the attention that comes with it! Ive even had people stop there car several times just to ask about her! Having owned a newf I have to say I would never get any other breed infact im considering getting another! Its true after a while you dont mind the drool or hair! Im still trying to figure out how get the drool off the ceiling! Ive even had her shake mid walk and had a big gloop of drool land on my face! All i could do was laugh : ) They are fantastic with children and other breeds but as they are a bigger breed you have to make sure you are the boss, as my girl is 11 stone I made sure from day one where she stood in my pack.

If you can take all the hardwork that comes with a newf then you will definatly reep the rewards that come with them : )
  19. HannahCB

HannahCB New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    Ditto exactly what Daljit105 is saying lol
  20. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Aw lovely to hear more about these gorgeous dogs! I love the look of them but have never known much about them and what they are like to live with :)
  21. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule New Member

Name:
    Debs
    what they are like to live with

They are gorgeous and loveable. Everywhere you go, your Newf is there. Ours 2 girls lie at our feet everywhere you are. Making a sarnie, turn round to get something...oops tripped over a dog...how the hell I didnt see it - who knows.
    They are affectionate and great with children and are the best kissers you'll ever meet;-P
    Life will never be the same once you have a Newf - they are addictive got one, need more.