Newfoundlands info please General Chat

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by elaineb, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ShaynLola

ShaynLola New Member

Name:
    Jules
    Actually, Losos, now you mention it, I have witnessed Lola do similar on a very few occasions. One that springs to mind was a particularly bothersome Westie who was bouncing around her, yapping in her face. Lola made several attempts to side-step him but he persisted. In one move, she flipped the Westie on his back with her paw and held him pinned to the grass with her paw on the centre of his chest until the owner came to reclaim him. Not a growl or even a lift of the lip from her. We still meet the same Westie from time to time and he has never troubled her again ;-)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Daljit105

Daljit105 New Member

Name:
    Daljit
    Yes I do find that with the bigger breads they are much calmer, when someone is annoying Gia she will just turn around and that when they get too much she will bark and try and swipe with her oversized paw to tell them off, although I find that if i cant take her seriously how can any dog?? Lol

They are very playfull with other dogs but I always have found with Newfs that they recognise their own breed and will play with other Newfs in like a pouncing way which is quite funny to watch : )
  4. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    You might also observe that they will confront each other with fore legs on the ground and bum in the air, apparently (according to many on here) this is called the 'play bow' and indicates to the other dog that it's time for some play (and no way is aggression). I've only ever seen it in our two on a few occassions, partly because Baruska thinks that such behaviour is below her status :roll: I think I mentioned above that she has royal blood :lol: well she thinks she has :lol:
  5. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule New Member

Name:
    Debs
    ShaynLola
    Can I ask how old your Lola is, my Lola Newf is 6 months old now. She was in the vets yesyerday being speyed along with our other Newf Ebony. In the next pen to them was another Lola a chi. Seems Lola is a very popular name at the mo.
  6. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule New Member

Name:
    Debs
    I think someone forgot to tell my girls they are huge, in puppy foundation class they were jumping around with all the little puppies - they had no idea that these little mites were way smaller than them
  7. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    There is a puppy Newf where we walk, she and Kismet are the same age and play like old friends, though on todays walk they said Kismet was now the only dog she was allowed to play with as her exuberant wrestling and slobbering is too much for other dog owners (Kismet came home looking like someone had gelled her hair into a new look and I'm sure is a little battered and bruised:)). Poor Willow is just a big crazy girl, but the owners are clearly beginning to struggle with her now and I hope for their sake she starts to calm down soon. It takes both of them to hold her if she sees a dog she wants to play with. They were so relieved to see Kismet today and know they could let their little girl play... Though there one or two times I thought poor Kismet is going to break something as she disappeared under the pile of brown fluff.

Between University and getting my first job, I did a bit of work as a pet sitter for some of my Dad's friends and offered a bit of training on the side. One of my clients was a Newfie called Fitz. He was the biggest dog I have ever seen! When I first took him on he could not be walked by anyone in the family. He had a massive garden of over 3 acres to play in and a lake to swim in, in his enclosed grounds. But even so he had broken out and was known and feared in their local village. He had killed neighbours chickens, guinea pigs and pet rabbits, he killed every duck that ever settled on their lake and one day had eaten their kitchen door (Completely chewed it apart) and let himself into the house and caused thousands of pounds of damage. They had tried buying him an adult labrador for company, but they came home one day to find the labrador was dead, crushed flat by Fitz in an over exuberant game.

Fitz' only problem was that he was 18 months old and bored. Within a week of my visiting every day for 2 hours, he could be walked on a head collar without pulling me around, knew all the basic commands including drop it and leave it. He was a sweetie, and I was able to start bringing over Selkie to play with him and teach him some doggy manners, but this was clearly the wrong dog for the house proud mansion owning family with dreams of a beautiful massive dog patrolling their grounds by day while they were at work, then sleeping peacefully by their hearth at night.

After a month of training.. I convinced them that Fitz was the wrong dog for them. He was rehomed through Newfoundland rescue and they got a pair of rescue Irish wolfhounds in his place....

I was never called in to work with the wolfies (sadly) because they fitted in perfectly. The lake had ducks again, the neighbours were safe and the hearth was well decorated every night:)
  8. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    Allegedly the browns are the craziest of all three Newfie types, I've only met a few but I would not disagree with that :)

How is Kismet :?: I still find myself laughing at that little video clip you posted a long time ago of her 'pouncing' on something in the undergrowth "Is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a Huskamute pouncing on a mouse" :lol: You should post that one again one day.
  9. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
  10. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    Ah yes the 'Fearsome mouse hunting puppy' that was the one, had another look and still laughing :lol: :grin:

Bit pushed for time now but will go back latter and look at those other ones too.