NI/Ute Health Problems Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jo_W, Aug 26, 2008.

1. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    But Sally you dont believe any of the pedigree's that have gone up are genuine, so it sounds to me the only one's you will believe are one's that come from JK so sorry but that does show that you are not looking at the whole picture.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Honestly I don't know WHICH pedigrees to believe - I'm not saying that I necessarily believe the pedigrees that come from JK either! That's why I think DNA profiling is the ONLY answer.
  4. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Sally - Simple statement (true or false)

I believe that the first dogs used were untested mongrels of unknown origins & too much inbreeding has taken place. The chances are a lot of the reports of various problems we are hearing of today are more true than false.
  5. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    This appears to be confirmed by several sources, including breeders

Still open, inbreeding yes, too much possibly, but as yet unproven

Again unproven, unless only considering this forum. Not enough statistical evidence to support this. Although personally my gut feel is yes.

Just my thoughts.
  6. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Honest answer is: I haven't yet seen enough evidence to declare either way whether this statement is true or false.

As I have already said - anyone with facts to declare about unhealthy dogs MUST come forward with their evidence. They OWE it to the dogs and their owners to do so. ESPECIALLY while there is so much speculation about.

If one of my dogs were to suddenly develop a health issue that might be hereditary, I would immediately publish the evidence and their pedigree, and would have no problems paying £15 to have them DNA profiled in order to clarify exactly where they came from, so that other owners could DNA-profile their dogs to establish the extent of any genetic link with my own dog and thus weigh up the chances of their own dogs inheriting the illness.

Why others who have health problems in their dogs can't do this is beyond me - I honestly don't understand it. If they really have the breed's interests at heart, I can't see any reason not to! I can only summise that they are witholding such information because they think the people involved are more important than the dogs, whether that's because they are trying to protect someone, or because they intend to discredit someone at a later date. Neither of these reasons is a valid excuse IMO.
  7. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Has anyone ever seen anything like what's being alleged happen in any other breed? Personally i have never so can only assume that the majority of it is true.
  8. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I have just visited the CryWolf forum again and seen this:

I can only assume that this was about me as it was posted immediately after my post earlier in this thread today, where I said that I cannot take these pedigrees for granted.

AGAIN, this post highlights the sensationalism that's rife. I never said they were made up - I said THEY COULD BE. And I never said that embossed paper proves a pedigree is correct - I said it proves that the NIS ENDORSES it as being correct in their eyes.

See what I mean??? Sooo many things are twisted and turned it's impossible to take ANY of it seriously any more. I have never spoken to this woman in my life but already she assumes so much (wrongly) about my views and intelligence. It's absolutely ridiculous - a total FARCE!

Needless to say - I won't be visiting that site again as I see it as a complete waste of time. I could gain more factual knowledge reading Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales!
  9. Efes123

Efes123 New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Unfortunately most breeds have hereditary problems, just a couple below:

Ectropion is an inherited disease where the lower eyelid sags, droops and rolls out exposing the interior of the eyeball. This exposure can lead to inflammation and conjunctivitis Mild cases can be treated with drops and ointments, while severe cases should be surgically corrected. This disease can be found in the American Cocker Spaniel, Basset hound, Bloodhound, Boxer, Bulldog, Bull terrier, Clumber spaniel, English cocker spaniel, English Springer spaniel, Gordon setter, Labrador retriever, and Shih Tzu. Although less common, ectropion can be found in giant breeds such as the Great Dane, Mastiff, Saint Bernard, Newfoundland and Great Pyrenees.

Aortic Stenosis (AS) and Sub Aortic Stenosis (SAS) are caused by a narrowing of the aorta (main blood vessel) as it leaves the left side of the heart. The heart must work harder to push the blood through the opening and this can cause problems and even death. This condition is hard to detect but with moderate to severe stenosis, it is necessary to restrict exercise. This disease is one of the most common heart conditions seen in large breed dogs. It is quite common in Newfoundland dogs and also fairly common if Boxers, Golden retrievers and Rottweilers.

Notice the quite common, surely proper breeding should eliminate this? I really do think that there is something that feels akin to a witch-hunt against the Inuit breeds
  10. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Or one could assume that there is another agenda here - that of discrediting breeders with whom people have personal issues. I believe there is too much of this on many fronts and it has got in the way of the real issue - THE DOGS AND THEIR HEALTH.
  11. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I agree that breeders are being discredited (on all sides) Some of them are even standing up & admitting what they have done wrong & what health issues have been in their dogs which is more than can be said for others.
  12. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    No Efes i'm not saying other breeds dont have conditions, i'm saying have you ever seen so much contriversy over health issues as in the NI.
    One side say there are issues, the other side say there are not.
  13. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I would also like to say that in regard to witch hunting & discrediting i have witnessed this on the NIS forum too (the thread 'bitches' springs to mind.
  14. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    So why are those with health issues not coming forward with the evidence and DNA profiles???

Would this not be the best thing to do under the circumstances so that people can sift the real issues from the stories and rumours???
  15. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Sally you obviously have not read the posts at a certain forum, people have come forward & stated the health problems. Has JK had her dogs DNA'd.
  16. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    It's happening all over the place. People are feeling pushed into defending themselves because there are so many accusations flying around. But these accusations are directed at PEOPLE and this should not be about people. It should be about DOGS.

The ONLY way out of this mess is to get the information and evidence out in the open RIGHT NOW so the right thing can be done by the dogs. Any unscrupulous breeders can and will be exposed and dealt with once any health issues are actually established.
  17. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    You're dead right!! I've visited that forum twice and seen so much rubbish - even my OWN posts from here being twisted - that I can't take it seriously!! As I have said, I won't be crediting such a defamatory site with any more hits from ME.

I don't know if JK has had her dogs DNA profiled.
  18. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I've had enough of this - as usual I'm wasting my time going round in circles and still am no further informed than I was before.

If and when any relevant facts are brought to the table, I will rely on those who know me to contact me and let me know because I don't have time for this chasing of information and being led up fictional and/or rumoured garden paths.
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I think at the founder breeder/ head honcho it would be a damn good idea for her to get them done?
  20. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    AND considering MOST of the dogs go back to their lines its imperitive that they are tested!
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Health issues will NOT show up in DNA profiling, its justs identifies a specific dog in case its identity is required for proof of parentage etc.. Witha ll the dogs that have "dissappeared" its hardly likely any of JK's dogs can be proven who they are even now!