Vet advice on VWD Health

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by claudeen, Sep 19, 2008.

1. claudeen

claudeen New Member

Vet advice on VWD

After I asked this question and received the reply below, I have contacted my vet about the tests. I was advised that if Lola or Otto had VWD then they would have produced symptons from their surgery and deep wounds they have both had, and I have also found research stating the same:-

My question:-

Both my dogs have cut themselves with no excessive bleeding, infact Lola sliced her leg open whilst out walking and nicked her artery, I had to walk her backthrough a mile of fields and the bleeding had almost stopped by the time I got her to the vet, my vet would have mentioned if he thought there was a problem with either dog as they have both had operations. Just thought I would point out Lola and Otto's dad is one of the puppies grandad.

Reply from Dawn

No Claudeen it doesnt work like that Im afraid. My Co-owned Dobermann is vWD AFFECTED. He has had a tooth removed and has had cuts too, he didnt bleed to death once! However he DOES have the disease and it could affect him at any time resulting in serious heamorraging or worse. The ONLY way you will know is if they are DNA tested.

Information from internet.

B]Excessive bleeding is the main symptom. Bleeding generally occurs after a wound or surgery. In these cases, the blood simply does not clot in the normal time, and bleeding is extensive. Dog's with Von Willebrand's disease may also develop nosebleeds, or bleeding from the gums. [/B]

I have alos just rang a random vet from the yellow pages and been given the same answer.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Hi Claudeen
    The way I understand it is that although your dogs may not necessary have VWD they could be a very low percentage carrier. So although not exhibiting any sign of it themselves, if mated to another low percentage carrier then it could result in a case of full blown VWD in one or more of the resulting pups.
    Kachinas will be able to give you more info as she has had Echo tested for this, I will text her and ask her to come on here as she knows a lot more than me, I am merely repeating what she has told me!!!
    The blood test itself can be combined with an Addisons test at the same time, although the vet does need to know you intend to do this. Armed with the results of these tests together with hip, elbow and eye scoring you will be an unbeatable combination!!!
    If we all do this we will then be able to concentrate on ridding both our breeds of these conditions. If we carry on not knowing we could inadvertently create sick puppies, something which I know I, along with virtually all owners I would imagine, would not like to be responsible for. Knowledge is power after all:grin:
  4. claudeen

claudeen New Member

Thanks that would be brilliant, I will ring my vet again and get it sorted. I need all the info, as the owner of the stud dog for Lola wants to do the same before they are mated. How long do the results take.?
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Oh you have a stud for Lola, hope these results don't take long, what considerations have you made in picking the stud i.e what are you hoping to add or improve ?
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Your Vet cant do this, the ELISA blood tests are unreliable, its how my Dobe is affected and should be carrier at most! Sage IS DNA tested AFFECTED by 2 laboratories, we did it twice to make sure, it proves that the ELISA test is unreliable, his sire tested "clear" so shouldnt produce an affected pup, but he did! With the type of vWD Dobes are affected with they can sometimes withstand surgery without problems. Sage had a tooth removed, he has also had cuts without issue, BUT it does NOT mean that he will not bleed to death under similar circumstances in the future. We have "synthetic" blood and the Vet keeps some too in case of problems.

Another type of vWB like Shelties are affected with is a whole different ball game, lethal very quickly. You must also consider Heamophillia because of the GSD contingent.
  7. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Have just heard back from Karen and she is going to come on. Don't think it took that long for the results, but she will be able to answer that for you as well
  8. kachinas

kachinas New Member

Name:
    Karen or Kaz
    Hiya, :)
    When I had Echo tested for vwd it took 5 weeks for the results to come back. I f you want the Addisson's done at the same time, then you must let the vet know before hand as the Addissons is a two part test! first a sample is taken, then they put something in the blood, and two hours later another sample is taken.

there are 3 types of vwd, or perhaps I should say groups?

this is the one Echo came in,

Von Willebrand's Factor 79% 70-180

The von Willebrand Factor Antigen Test is used to screen animals for the presence of von Willebrand's disease (vWD) and can be used as a tool for prediction of genetic status in healthy animals used for breeding. The Reference Interval for dogs is 70-180%. This means that individuals without von Willebrand's disease are expected to exhibit von Willebrand's Factor (vWF) concentration that vary from 70-180% of that of a standard control.

Results of 70-79
    At the lower end of the normal range. Does not support the presence of the vWD gene, but caution is advised for breeding. Mating to individuals with higher levels is recommended and puppies should be checked.

This is a screening test, and there is a low probability of misclassification of vWD status ( approximately 5%). If the results obtained does not correlate with clinical signs/history, or the known vWD status of parents, we recommend re-testing of a freshly collected specimen at half-price after discussion of results with the AHT.

If submitting a sample for such a re-test please indicate this is the case and providing the previous lab reference number is quoted a 50% discount will be given.

I hope this helps. :)
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    So in this test (which I dont trust) Echo would be classed as a Carrier?
  10. kachinas

kachinas New Member

Name:
    Karen or Kaz
    yes, she would, so great care would have to be taken to find a mate with a better score.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn

See this is what is unreliable, the % bit. DNA testing is 100% secure. I would advise anyone to go via the States to get their tests done. It takes a few weeks only and the results are true.
  12. kachinas

kachinas New Member

Name:
    Karen or Kaz
    Hi Dawn,
    At the time I didn't know there was any other way of testing, I just went with what my vet said when I asked for one.
    I will look into the one you suggest for my pup when she is old enough, do you have contact details for them please? thanks, karen x:)
  13. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    It sounds like this may have been what kiled my little Jackajck. I know his brother was hown in crufts before I rescued Jackjack and that both he and his brother had been used at stud....

So there will be more heartbroken Lancashire heeler owners out there...
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    We used Vetgen, one of the most respected Labs in teh States.

http://www.vetgen.com/canine-vwd1.html

You'd have to ask which test was the right one for your type of dog.
  15. kachinas

kachinas New Member

Name:
    Karen or Kaz
    :) Thanks :)
  16. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Have had a look at the Vetgen site and they seem to be breed specific by what I can see. However I have e mailed them and detailed the tests I am looking to do and asked if they would be able to do this, also asked for costings as well.
    Eye tests are the next thing for my 2
  17. claudeen

claudeen New Member

A friend and excellent breeder is organising for several of us to have our NI's samples sent to vetgen in the USA.

Thanks for everone's help.
  18. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Let me know when Claudeen, and I will send ones over for my 2. Might as well take advantage of the bulk shipment!!!
  19. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Sorry, I'm confused here, do we get the tests for VWD through our vets or through Vetgen? I need to know this as I want to have Nushka tested for both VWD and Addisons (and I'll have great delight in posting them here :twisted: )
  20. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Listening to Claudeen and the concern she is willing to show and the health testing she and the stud dog owner are willing to undertake regarding breeding I would not hesitate to have Claudeen top of my list for an N.I pup, Well done Claudeen xx
  21. sallyinlancs

sallyinlancs New Member

Name:
    n/a
    Me too! And Lola is a legendary beauty already! Can't wait to see what her pups turn out like (assuming she has some). Fingers crossed for you Claudeen!