Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever General Chat

Discussion in 'Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever' started by werewolf, Sep 26, 2008.

1. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    She is very 'chasey'- our bengal is not helping that! Very toy driven, Seems to ignore cows although is always on lead if they are in the same field. We have not come accross horses on walks.
    Very happy-go-lucky- tries to say hello to everyone and every dog and really loves children even though she is still a baby herself.
  4. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  5. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
  6. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Awwww she's so sweet and so funny play bowing at the cat :lol:
  7. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Your Dally looks very calm! How does your Toller get on with your Dally? Do they have similar energy levels?

I have always liked Tollers and would consider one in the future :)
  8. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    Well our dalmation is 12 but is always up for playing. We have been lucky- she is very tolerant
  9. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    She is lovely, she is quite persistent with your cat, not sure if my cats would put up with that.

Otherwise, perfect with kids, lad back, happy go lucky, that certainly ticks all my boxes.

A couple of questions, Are they heavy shedders ? Do they go to the groomers or is that just up to the owners?
    Are they food orientated like labs and goldies?
    Am I right in thinking they cost about £ 850?
  10. scotia

scotia New Member

Name:
    Janice
    They are heavy shedders, but I wouldn't think they'd be any worse than a Golden Retriever. I don't know of anyone who takes one to a groomers - for the show ring only feet and ears are tidied up so less trimming than a Golden.

Yes they are very food orientated - both food obsessed and ball obsessed :grin:

Each breeder will have their own price but yes you would expect to pay at least £850.

Here's a photo of mine :grin:

[​IMG]
  11. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
  12. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    Yes, I want one.

Now I have the hard job of doing research on breeders and when I find one, put my name down on the waiting list.

Do you know of any in Surrey?

When i got my Golden retriever it was so easy because there was about 6 breeders in a 10 mile radius. And so many people had them so I could ask lots of advice.

I might try the rescue route, but it has to be cat friendly.

Also i live 500 yrds from a pond with ducks, i have to cross the road with my Goldie otherwise he tries to pull me in., soon i will have 2 trying to do it.
  13. Hazels

Hazels New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Be prepared to travel for the right puppy. They are becoming more popular but you need to make sure the breeder is thinking of the breed and not just making money!
  14. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    yours look beautiful, i am very green with envy. And you Goldie is hansom too.He looks like he is smiling in the picture.

I have being having a look and they are few and far between.

we live in Surrey, I don,t really want to travel more than 100 mile radius.

i will keep checking, and might have to drag my husband and kids out to a dog show and hopefully meet a breeder that way.

How old was your goldie when you got your first Toller. My Goldie is only 3 and a half and is still full of beans, and very playful.
  15. icemaiden123

icemaiden123 New Member

Name:
    Deb
    No unfortunately she's not breeding any tollers anymore I'm afraid
  16. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Thanks for letting me know :)
  17. Tivalake

Tivalake New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
  18. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    I've had it suggested to me today, and on reflection it makes a lot of sense, that I should probably get my name onto a breeder's waiting list now.

I don't plan to get my Toller for another two years (pending Cain's behaviour improving, but I'm confident that two years is a realistic time period). However, as pointed out to me, most decent breeders only has two, max three, litters a year. So actually they wouldn't be producing that many dogs. I was aware I could have to wait up to a year for a toller, but might it be a good idea to go onto a waiting list now providing the breeder is aware of my time frame? Or is it too soon?

Any advice on picking a breeder? Can anyone recommend one? I've only had rescue dogs before and I find this whole sourcing a breeder thing very daunting :? I really, really want to get it right. Temperament (along with health) is paramount to me with this dog. Any help? :)
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I would suggest you join the club.

http://www.toller-club.co.uk/

I would then go to events, shows and look at the dogs and develop an eye for what you like.

Members of breed clubs must abide by their codes of ethics and conduct and may be expelled if they breach these.

The club will advise you of the health screening required of breeding stock and any other conditions certain lines may be prone to such as certain auto immune conditions.

If you are planning this far ahead it makes sense to join a club BEFORE you book a puppy in order to avoid preventable mistakes.
  20. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Thanks :) Yes, I am in absolutely no rush and two years is only an approx time frame. I have all the time in world to get this right :) I have read up on the necessary health checks etc already. Although ive read a lot on picking a good breeder, being the first time, it really does still seem soooo daunting as it's such a big decision. I'll carry on my research with a view to getting on a waiting list within the next 6 months I think.
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    You can learn a lot about a breed from joining a breed club, the secretary can steer you towards reputable breeders and away from those who are less than top notch! ;)