Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever General Chat

Discussion in 'Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever' started by werewolf, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    That sounds like the sort of guidance I need :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hazels

Hazels New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Did you find the two toller club websites? All info is there. If you contact the puppy coordinators they can advise you on finding the right breeder for you :)
  4. scotia

scotia New Member

Name:
    Janice
    Many decent breeders won't even have 2-3 litters a year - more like 1 litter ever 2-3 years. These breeders especially will have full lists well before the bitch is even mated so the sooner you get on a list the better.
    I'd advise you to get to as many toller events as possible, this way you can meet owners and dogs and see if you have a preference as to the type of toller you like - big or small, lots of white or very little, crazy maniac or couch potato. The toller is supposed to have a good temperament but I keep hearing of the occasional one with less than ideal, so something else to keep in mind. Then get to know breeders of the dogs you like and go from there :grin:

Good luck in your search, you won't be disappointed!
  5. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    What breeder did you guys go to? Would you recommend them? Does anyone have any experience with Heather of Erikachen tollers? :D
  6. Hazels

Hazels New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    Excellent breeder! But good luck getting on the waiting list, it is very long!
  7. scotia

scotia New Member

Name:
    Janice
    Heather is lovely, but I agree her waiting list will be long. Of course if you're looking ahead 2 years then you might have more chance as not everyone is prepared to wait that long!
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i love these dogs :grin: we get a great one in at work, ive fallen in love with him :grin: hes called gunner :lol:
  9. Riverwatcher

Riverwatcher New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Glad you found one of the forums.

If you want to meet some tollers you're welcome to come and meet my two as I'm not a million miles away from Surrey being in Marlow, Buckinghamshire.

These are my two
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  10. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    getting my new toller puppy in 2 weeks.

we are getting a bitch and we think we might call it Bella.

I,m so excited I feel like a child again waiting for Christmas.
  11. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    Riverwatch your 2 are beautiful.

Once puppy is a bit older we can get together.
  12. Riverwatcher

Riverwatcher New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Lovely - Bella is a good name one of the pups in my last litter was called Bella:lol:
  13. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda

Awww they are so beautiful! Might just have to take you up on that offer :)

I'm going to meet Heather and her 3 tollers while I'm in Dorset this weekend, I can't wait :D
  14. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Had an absolutely lovely visit to see Heather and her dogs :D such gorgeous doggies, including the non-tollers. Have a lovely sunny stroll through gorgeous pine forest (which made me green with envy, I'd kill to have that on my doorstep! I think I need to move to Dorset!). It was so nice to see tollers running around, enjoying a dip and just being dogs. We played quite a lot of fetch, they sure do love their balls! Spoilt dogs even had their own swimming pool! They were real sweeties and I'm more convinced I want a toller than ever now! Heather was lovely and very understanding about our current situation wirt Cain's behaviour. Got carried away gassing and forgot that I'd bought my camera until the end, so only took a few photos, but here they are :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    oh what absolutely gorgeous dogs :mrgreen: bet you thought about stealing one away :lol: :lol: :lol:
  16. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    They are lovely. we are getting our new puppy in less than 2 weeks, can,t wait.
  17. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    What beautiful dogs :)

Glad you had a good time :)
  18. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Thanks guys :) Marianne, two weeks, you lucky thing! You must be soooooooo excited. Post lots of photos!

Ill explain whos who with the dogs. The one on the far left (no facial markings) is 7 yr old neutered dog Fergus, a lovely chap. I get the girls confused but I think the girl on the far right is Caoimhe who just had a visit to Holland for a date with the stud dog and is hopefully pregnant with her second and final litter :D And the bitch in the middle is little Aoife, she is Caoimhe's daughter. Aoife will hopefully having her first litter at the beginning of 2012, then her second and final litter a couple of years later around 2014. I know it seems massively far in advance, but it's Aoife's second litter we are interested in. She is utterly adorable!

We are going to go and visit again when Caoimhe has her litter so I can see how they are raised and cuddle toller puppies! Squeeee! She seems like a great breeder. Keeps them in the home, they are her pets. Brilliant hips scores etc, all clear eye tests, lovely temperaments etc. Very pretty (I love the colour and the pink noses that she is breeding for). And she feeds raw. All in all a very good visit :D
  19. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
  20. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Beautiful dogs!! Fergus is absolutely gorgeous, I was fixated on him as soon as the picture loaded!

I know it seems rather random to ask but how much exercise do these gorgeous dogs need? I read that they're less energetic than say labradors while still being 'high energy' so that doesn't tell me much :p Any info would be wonderful in that regard!

Thanks!
  21. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    As far as I know, around 2 hours. Suits me, as that's about the same as my current dogs requirements. As standard Heather seemed to walk hers for about 30 mins in the morning then another 1 and 1/2 hours later in the day. Obviously they are happy to go for much longer though and said that she often takes then out for 3 hours plus. They, to me, don't seem much higher energy than any other gundog. We took them for a walk that was about 45 mins and they settled down beautifully when they got back - although they always seem to find the energy to play ball :lol:

Murph, beautiful photos, I love the tap one!