Looking for information on King Charles Spaniels Questions

Discussion in 'King Charles Spaniel' started by Ixectrona, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Ixectrona

Ixectrona New Member

Name:
    Frida

Looking for information on King Charles Spaniels

I see that there's loads about the Cavaliers here (which is not surprising, considering their immense popularity), but does anyone here have/know anything about their older, less famous cousin, the Charlie?

I have been looking at this breed since I was barely thirteen, but since last year I "knew" I didn't want a dog that small yet. (But after I got my whippet, I feel that smaller dogs can be very nice in several ways ;-))

Well then - after have been researching a lot about them, I'm planning on a Charlie as my next dog, probably a B/T (or tricolor) bitch. :mrgreen:
    That will not be before the summer 2009, but most likely not after the summer 2010 either. Anyway...

...like I said, does anyone here own one of these wonderful dogs? It's pretty difficult to find people who even know of this breed, since they stay in the shadow of the Cavalier. (No offense at all, Cavalier-enthusiasts ;-))
    http://home.no/kingcharles/bilder/index/tarasepetit.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    hiya!! i have seen and read about them only ever really been america! must be lots over here though!
    what are the major diffs between them & cavs?? :D

oh cant wait to see pics! that pups was lovely! :D
  4. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    [SIZE=+2]The King Charles Spaniel [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Head and Skull [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Distinctive Domed head full over eyes. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Nose, large wide open nostrils very short and turned up to meet skull. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Head and Skull [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Skull almost flat between ears.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Shallow stop, length from base of stop to tip of nose about 1 ½" [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Mouth[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Bite should be slightly undershot. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Mouth [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Jaws strong with perfect regular and complete scissor bite. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Feet [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Compact, well padded and feathered, toes well knuckled, round cat shaped foot, well cushioned, pasterns firm. Occasionally central pad and nails fused together. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Feet [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Compact cushioned and well feathered. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Size [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Weight: 8 - 14 lbs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Size [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Weight: 12-18 lbs. A small well balanced dog well within these weights desirable. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Colour: [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Black and Tan, Tricolour, Blenheim, Ruby [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Colour:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Black and Tan, Tricolour, Blenheim, Ruby. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Tail: [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Docking is optional in this breed. If carried out this should be done whilst a puppy, at the appropriate time by a qualified Veterinary Surgeon. N.B. Some King Charles Spaniels are born with a short tail, a kinked, or an apparently broken tail. In these circumstances the tail usually is docked. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Tail: [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Docking is optional [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Temperament: [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Reserved, gentle and affectionate. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Temperament: [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Gay, friendly, non-aggressive, no tendency to nervousness. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Bearing these points in mind it should be easier to differentiate between the two breeds and to help prevent the confusion which exists today. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]The King Charles Spaniel [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    Head

[​IMG]

Head

[​IMG]

Foot with fused pads

[​IMG]

Foot Compact, cushioned, well feathered

[​IMG]

Mouth slightly undershot

[​IMG]

Mouth scissor bite

[​IMG]
  5. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    I have only ever met two.
  6. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    is it just me or does anyone else think the King charles face is slighty 'pug-ish' ??
  7. Gina&Jaz

Gina&Jaz New Member

Name:
    Gina
    That's sort of the point. :) They were bred for their squashed faces.

I've only seen them at shows, it seems that people with Japanese Chins also like the King Charles. Just something I've noticed. :mrgreen:
  8. Ixectrona

Ixectrona New Member

Name:
    Frida
    Yes, they looked different a couple of centuries ago, but in the 1800's (?), they were mixed with asian breeds and perhaps pugs to, giving them a smaller size and different shape of the head.

Although they do have a very short face, they don't have wrinkles like the pug, nor any breathing problems (I've looked almost everywhere to see if that is true), so then it's fine with me. ;-) (I don't like the thought of dogs that can't even play or go for a walk a warm day because they might suffocate, but this isn't the case with Charlies)
  9. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    Ohhhhhhh! :blush: well i guess the good thing is i saw it! lol!
  10. Breezay

Breezay New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    The breeder we got George from has got lots of CKCs and has recently (in the past 3 years or so) got a King Charles.
    She's got some JApanese Chins too.. They are so cute!