Dogue de Bordeuax help Questions

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by Working Dog Fan, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Working Dog Fan

Working Dog Fan New Member

Name:
    Paul

Dogue de Bordeuax help

I think this is the right part of the forum to post this. I could really do with some advice

We as a family are getting a DDB puppy, wich will be our first of this breed

The bitch we have selected, has developed a kind of scarring on her top of her head, that none of the other pups have got bar one, though not as noticeable

We didnt notice it at first, but on the second visit to see her, we pointed it out to the breeder. I thought it may be a wrinkle as it was just in front of the ears going from one side of the head to the other on the top.

They have told us it is nothing to worry about and will go in time. The pups are 5 weeks old this week, and though she is doing really well, and is around mid range in size and dominace of the pups, which suits us, and has more hair on her head the markings are not going, and it does look like some kind of scar rather than a wrinkle.

We have no intention of showing or breeding her, so from a cosmetic point of view it does not worry us. But should we be worried that there may be something wrong with her, or is it a normal occurence?

As I said it is the first DDB pup we have had. We do not want to change her for another pup as my kids have bonded with her, my son has Aspergers Syndrome, part of the reason for getting the pup and will not accept it if we had to change the pup. We visit once a week to see her, and she is a lovely little pup

Could you advise if you think we have anything to worry about. The breeders tell us that all the pups will be vet checked before they are allowed to leave, it has just worried us a bit as we haven't experinced anything like that

Many thanks for your time, I would really appreciate your opinion
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    hi there,
    I'm afraid I have no idea whether this is something to worry about or not...I was just wandering whether it would be possible for you to have your own vet check the pup over before you agree to take her?
  4. youngstevie

youngstevie

Great Idea, you'll probably still have her, but I think it is always best to ''hear'' what the vet thinks, rather than be told....not suggesting that the breeder would try pulling the wool over your eyes, but things are better from the ''horses mouth'' so to speak.;-)
  5. elaineb

elaineb New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    good point... is this possible?:grin:
  6. Working Dog Fan

Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for you thoughts, and you are right we will still have her anyway, too much prep has gone into getting the home ready for her lol

Not sure how to approach the problem with the breeder, if my vet can check her out.

What normally happens in this sitation, the vet goes to the home, or the owner accompanies us to vets?
  7. catsta2001

catsta2001 New Member

Name:
    Cat
    Or you could ask for their vet to do a home visit and you be present? Or accompany her to their vets?
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I knew someone who had a Boxer Puppy a couple of yrs ago, he got the puppy from a very reputably breeder, the pup was and is as healthy as can be,

He had the same type of thing on his head... , the breeder told him she had never seen or had anything like this before, just as your breeder has said, it would probably go.... but it did not. the guy who owned the pup, get really worked up over it..(after he bought the pup) with vets visits and trying to figure out the reason behind it.

The scaring was there, you could see it.. it looked a little like an off centre T right smack in the middle of his head, where all the skin on young pups fold in.

The bloke eventually had the scar removed (he was paranoid it was something serous) and to be honest the op has left a much bigger scar and bald patch on the dogs head.

The vet , nor the breeder new what had caused it.. it was all down to speculation.... but my and others guess was..... the scaring came from the puppy being squashed in the womb...DDB like Boxers have big heads, they have lots of loose skin, and I wonder if the pup was in a funny position and basically had his head stuck under a rib or something... resulting in the skin being pushed together, and forming the scar tissue....obviously this is all guess work, but a plausible one!!

Ask your breeder if she minds having her vet check him out beofre you take him or if after your vet visit, they are worried and you wish to return him , she will take him back.. or you could aways ask if you could take another pup.

But if the puppy is otherwise healthy I would not worry to much, and for goodness sake dont have it operated on.
  9. rottiedad

rottiedad New Member

Name:
    glen
    we had rottie pups a few few years ago and had all of them born with whites on their chests only 1 of them kept it i no this is totaly of the mark but as a x breeder we would let a vet round if u have nothing to hide its not a problem
  10. Working Dog Fan

Name:
    Paul
    Hi there

Thanks for the reply. What you have suggested really does sound plausible, and not something I would have thought of to be honest
  11. Kimassok

Kimassok New Member

Name:
    Tove
    When buying puppy, the breeder provides delivery with healt certificate on each puppy, right?! Well, there's your opportunity with breeder and vet to maybe find out what causes this scaring.
    The breeder will need to health check every puppy anyway for delivery, so there you go;=)
  12. Working Dog Fan

Name:
    Paul
    WE pick up our new bundle of joy on Thursday, and the breeder kindly sent a picture of her. They say the ahir is growng over now, so will wait and see, and the vet check has shown no real issues. We will pick all this up on Thursday

Looking forward to getting her home now and srttling her in with the others

Thank you everyone for all you help and advice