Off topic Border Terrier posts split from NI thread Discussions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Louise13, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    just wanted to wish you all the best of luck when you do take the step onto the border breeding ladder, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed it, it is hard work but it is so worth every min of it.

xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thanks all but slow down, Im not breeding just yet. I was having a bitch puppy from Oreys mother, sadly she only hd one, a male and more sadly he died. I have the chance of several pups, but I think I will wait untill Orey's sister is mated, which will be this time next year, we want another year in the ring with her and she's too young yet anyway.

Id like to thank you for your good wishes though, they are appreciated.
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    LOL...... see what happens when you say you are breeding... everyone has them in season and on day 63 before you even have a bitch LOL
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    LOL!!!!!! :mrgreen:
  6. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    lol... plenty of time to plan ahead then.... It may sound sad.. but I plan well ahead of myself.. I have been planning my next litter more or less since holly was born.. { eg... rearing a pup... showing, health tests, research pedigrees, all that stuff.....even picking litter names....

how sad am I
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Sad? Id call that responsible and doing things right, well done you!!!
  8. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Lovely wee dogs but growing concern for Epileptoid within the breed, (Cramping Syndrome, also known as Spikes disease ), according to a Border breed health survey, skin disease, ear infection, imflamation, and colitis have been reported to be fairly common problems...
    The good news is reputable border breeders are doing there best to stamp out lines where the Epileptoid seems to be a problem, a hard one too though as its yet to be confirmed whether it IS a hereditary condition...
    Good Luck with the breeding as everyone has said it is hard work but worth it.
  9. angied

angied New Member

Name:
    angie
    good luck with it all i was gonna breed my bt id planed everything had the male dog who i looked after and they were inseperatable both fantastic with kids etc. waitied till the right time kept them aprt when she was in season as she wasnt ready to get pregnant when i did have them mated had potential buyers all lined up and interviewed got the list down to 13 people as some wernt suitable imo. unfort she absorbed the pups and the second time around we mated them and the next day she got pyro (vet said very unusual during the season) but although vet thought it was pyro it didnt show up in bloods and xrays til 4 days later when shge was spayed but didnt make it.
    we got another border as my other dogs were very depressed without chelsea BUT the boy had been castrated as it wouldve been too much for me to lok after him again with a pup and luckily didnt have another boy that i liked to even think about breeding her when at a year she got "spikes" so wouoldnt even contemplate breeding her or breeding any other dog . but i do wishg you luck from what ive read youve looked into all of it and are planning well in advance
  10. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    I've lost count of how many people have asked if I will breed from Rio, just because she's a bitch. No, I reply, she is to be a pet. You could make a killing, they say. It's sad that so many people just see pound signs when they have an entire bitch. And she's only 14 weeks old. Why would I want to breed? I know practically nothing about canine genetics and Rio is our first Estrela.
  11. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Ohhhhhhhhh no BT puppy pics for ages then....I am so shallow...
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    How much is common Elaine? There are around 300 (CECS) worldwide on the affected list going back to the 1970's!!:roll:

Skin disease, please expand on that, what skin "disease?" Colitis is a problem for any type of dog on this earth and ear infection, I love that one!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Canine Epileptoid cramping syndrome is known as CECS, I can follow better with that. :001:

I dont follow your "growing concern" unless you have copied from somewhere? Id be happy to pass on your "findings" or copyings :roll: to the Vet who has done the health surveys for the breed if you wish, I do know him.
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi angie, sorry to hear about your bitch that had a pyo. Im surprised your Vet didnt scan your bitch to show it on that, but it can be fatal so many times and a closed one doesnt show symptoms, I almost lost my bitch with it.

Re the one with CECS. Have you spoke to your vet about it? Are you certain that its CECS she has? How often are the attacks? What does she do? Would you be willing to fill in the CECS form if I sent you one? All the info is collated for research and in the future its hoped the condition can be cured. Its not a "border" thing, its linked to them most because Border breeders are the ones that have bothered to do something about it, but its all going the right way.
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a little Orey for now.
    [​IMG]
  15. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    Good luck with it all Dawn...hope to see such stunning pics of the litter as soon as there here, keep us up dated with it all!:)

Doggie lover!;-)
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thanks Doggie Lover!:mrgreen:

Wont be for a while yet though.
  17. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    No need for the overly defensive reply Dawn, as in all breeds there is health problems, spikes disease has been on the rise in the last 3 years...
    don't know what you mean by follow :?
    I'm not developing a growing concern for the Border Terrier, whats your problem about me posting findings about your chosen breed ...:)
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Oh Elaine I can talk border all day long! :001:

Im not being defensive I have even asked if you would like your "findings" passed onto the Vet in charge of the health survey, how can you see that as defensive? dont think I could be more open do you?:roll:

CECS has not been on the rise for the last 3yrs, in fact the numbers are at an all time low on the open list, would you like me to get in touch wih the list collator for you and the research scientists and confirm this for you? I have the lastest list, I think in the last 12mths there have been 8 worldwide suspected cases added to it.

When you copy stuff like "ear infections" its a bit silly as every dog on this earth has the potential for them dont they? I mean its hardly inherited is it? Likewise the skin "disease" which you still havent elaborated on, but if you care too, ill do my best to find out more info for you.

If you go to Crufts, Id be happy to put you in touch with the Vet I have mentioned, oh by the way he is the Border judge! ;)
  19. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Really Dawn if any one is being silly it is you, as I said I don't have a growing concern for Borders, but any thing I can find out with regards to health I will let you know...2 name drops in 2 posts oh yeah and all those people in the know you know, must be great to be surrounded with such knowledgeable people and never have to do any home work for your self, your what is commonly known in Glesga as a feeder...:)
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    So now you want to be rude because I have offered you help and information? Thats fine Elaine, I just find it very surprising that you rubbish your own breed because of what goes in and because you cant pick holes in the Border Terrier simply because nothing is hidden you have the hump!! :roll:

Yes, I am very pleased to be surrounded by knowledgable people, its a shame they werent in your breed and perhaps you wouldnt be trying to find fault here now. All this is because I picked you up on using your unscored (at the time) pet quality dog at stud and the fact his litter brother was a monorchid.

As I said, you carry on girl, Ill talk Border all day and if I cant give you the definitive answer you require, I WILL put you in touch with those that can, you just need to say so.

Your attempts to have a dig sadly have not worked, but to start name calling, well doesnt it just speak for itself.:002:
  21. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    That auld nugget...
    Not having a dig, but you clearly are very bitter about some thing...
    Anyway I'll leave you to your Borders I wouldn't want to spoil your thread, or Louises for you, but as I said if I find any thing else out about borders that I think you may find interesting I'll let you know...
    Have a nice day :)