Off topic Border Terrier posts split from NI thread Discussions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Louise13, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I thought you might bow out! :002:

Yes if you "find" or copy anything else forward it on, Id be happy to share it with all those knowledgable people in the breed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Soooooooooo sweet!!!!! I am so not showing my oH!
  4. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I never started the thread.. it was cut from another thread.. just happenend to be me first

Dawn... I think as a first time breeder (when the time comes) that you are doing everything right.. you obviously know your stuff and are surrrounded by people with knowledge to help you along the way..

The best breeders are the ones who have lived with the dogs through to adulthood and overcome all their problems so they have knowledge to share with their prospective puppy people..

IF I ever decide to breed.. I know I am surrounded by VERy knowledgable people who will help.. they are owners first, breeders AND judges of the breed.. so who better than to have for mentors..

First time breeders need help to get their heads around stuff.. like COI etc.. and help to trace back lines, advice on picking the correct stud etc..

There are too many breeders who have litters from their first dog as soon as its old enough, with no actual life experience of living with the dogs past the age its at.. and also no real research went into WHY its the best stud dog..(not the nearest or the cheapest) and also don't really care who gets the pups just aslong as someone takes them!!

Someone just asked me about getting 2 pups from the same litter..I asked if the breeder was willing to give them 2 and was told yes...I then told them to steer clear of the breeder.. They are first time dog owners and here they are wanting two pups!! I would say any good breeder wouldn't give 2 pups to the same household..(especially not large, strongwilled dogs)
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Some people have no sense of adventure!!:mrgreen:

Thanks Louise. Youre spot on with what you say.

To live with a breed first is the best thing IMO, Ive owned this breed 15yrs now, I know they are the breed for me, and as you say should I require it, I have a wealth of experienced breeders near to help and assist with any queries, aswell as many breeders on here who I have much respect for also.:001:
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    If I show him...I'll end up with one!!!!!!!! ;) As you full well know. WE almost ended up with a fully grown border instead of a puppy Cosmo...
  7. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    awe go on you know you want to.....

you never know... If I havent filled the gap of lap dog.. I may ask dawn to go on her waiting list :grin:
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You'd be welcome Shona. :)

Ailsa, you make sure you come to Crufts, Ill send you home with Orey, take him on a trial, if it doesnt work out in 12mths Ill have him back! :mrgreen:
  9. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Stop It Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Well I will have to have my Orey fix yet again , at next years Crufts... he left a lasting impression this year.

Shame when you get accused of name dropping ,simply because you have knowledgeable people around you, it would stand a lot of people in good stead to surround themselves with such people... for when they eventually decide to breed.

I know Dawn when ever the time comes you will make an excellent breeder and produce some fab pups...LOL!!!!!!!! not personally be the way, with a little help from a couple of 4 legged friends.......LOL!
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Cheers Jackbox, appreciated.

Yes, name dropping!! Nothing to do with the fact I offered her the info she was asking about and that was the person she that did the survey she spoke about!! You'd think she would be pleased to be given the opportunity to speak to these people first hand to get the info she required first hand!!
  12. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Good for you, but knowing nothing about canine genetics prior to breeding seems commonplace....'Oh, I know nothing about genetics, but I've had xx litters', is what I often hear, almost said with (mis-placed) pride. But of course they do all the health testing possible, no doubt hoping that this makes up for a lack of knowledge in other areas. Often these folk are mentors for others when they start out.

Shame for the breeds that genetics is not compulsory. On the Continent, some countries require litters to be below 6% COI and puppy buyers ask what the COI of the litter, dam and sire are. We have a heck of a long way to go...on the positive front if BT are largely healthy, breeders must be selecting for traits that are not harmful to the breed. Dawn, do you know what COI is in BTs, is it measured by anyone in UK?

Mary
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I dont Mary, no. The pedigrees of my Dogs are on my site if that helps. There are a few of course who will always breed too close for my liking and there certainly have been a few half brother/sister matings which I dont approve of.
  14. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    That's a shame...but I'd love to see their peds though Dawn, (so sad eh?) do you have a web site link?...had a quick look on public profile but not listed there.

mary
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Sorry Mary, Im being thick again!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  16. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Fab website Dawn and your dogs are beautiful :grin:

I also think you will be a damn good breeder :)
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Aww thank you Sal, thats very kind of you. If Breeze didnt have a Pyo and your Meg too, we would both be on the way by now, but they come first, and patience is a virtue!
  18. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    So they say lol :lol:

We had plans to breed last month,stud lined up,homes waiting never mind,these things happen.
    I hope I never experience Pyo again.

We are still looking at lines at the moment,still not sure which lines to go through,we did have a puppy planned but that went pear shaped too :roll:

Not many of the good stafford breeders are breeding at the moment.
  19. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Not at all: but luckily I saw the link before it was edited out (PM next time LOL)

Lovely site, and i knew i would be captivated by the photography...that chocolate shorthair, just fab and Orey, speechless. Love BT faces, dawn, so knowing!

mary
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thanks Mary, not sure why it would be removed it contains no links to other forums, never mind, pleased you like it.
  21. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Is there a godsey link on there?