Entropian in Border Terrier Health

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Moobli, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty

Entropian in Border Terrier

My sister's 6 month old BT has been dianosed by the vet has having entropian. Is this common in the breed? Hopefully the eyelids should sort themselves out as she grows, otherwise it will mean an operation.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Never heard of it at all, its usually in the looser lidded breeds (lidded, is that a word?) like Shar-Pei, Bullmastiff etc, I also have never known it right itself, Im wondering if it really is entropian? CERTAINLY tell the breeder and i will ask around for you and if I come up with anything Ill let you know.
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks Dawn. I have told sis to contact the breeder and let him know what the vet has said.
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Good news, they should be told.
  6. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    oligodendroglioma
    primary uterine inertia
    aortic and carotid body tumors
    cryptorchidism
    hemivertebrae
    ventricular septal defects
    patellar luxation
    pituitary tumor
    hip dysplasia
    progressive retinal atrophy

Quite a long list for such a healthy wee critter don't you think ?
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    hhh I knew you could read my posts!! :mrgreen:

You are quoting from an American site, please show me any evidence of the any of the above, the only one I know of is one dog that is a monorchid. Go for your life Elaine!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You ought to of altered the spelling to English, would of made it more convincing!! They even spelled "patella" wrong!!
    [​IMG]
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Kirsty, Im off to enquire for you, I will ask two Vets aswell, are you sure its was Entropian and not Ectropian? Just confirming as I dont want to get it wrong for you.
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Tis a great site that Elaine, just look what Labradors get:

Bilateral cataract
    Retinal dysplasia
    Progressive retinal atrophy
    Hemophilia A, Factor VIII
    Or AHF deficiency
    Cystinuria
    Carpal subluxation
    Craniomandibular osteopathy
    Dwarfism associated with
    Retinal dysplasia
    Deficiency of type II muscle fibers
    Entroion
    Hip dysplasia
    Shoulder dysplasia
    Hypoglycemia
    Hypothyroidism
    Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy
    Diabetes
    Missing teeth
    Prolapsed rectum
    Melanoma
    Prolapsed uterus
    Congenital phimosis and Cutaneous
    Mast cell tumors
    Coloboma
    Distichiasis
    Congenital hypotrichosis
    Megaesophagus
    Food allergy
    Leukotrichia
    Vitamin A responsive dermatitis
    Dacrocystitis
    Persistent hyaloid artery
    Persistent pupillary membrane
    Copper toxicosis
    Factor IX deficiency
    Elbow Osteochondrosis
    Muscular dystrophy
    Receptor dystrophy
    Ununited anconeal process
    Epilepsy
    Hereditary myopathy
    Atherosclerosis

Im surprised there are any alive at all.!!!!
  10. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Have to say have never met a Border with any of the above conditions .....
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Nor me Julie, I do know of one that had one testicle descended, the other was "hovvering" there one minute and not the next, the owner had him castrated on Vets advice at 6mths!!! I need say no more there! ;)

So far Kirsty I have had nobody that has seen entropion in them at all. Ill keep asking for you though :)
  12. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I have heard of this being misdiagnosed in another breed so it would be worth her getting a second opinion...
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thats interesting Ailsa, I truly have only ever known it in Shar-Peis, Bully's and if I remember correctly a Rottweiler.
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks guys. I will give my sister a ring tomorrow and find out for definite.

I am pretty sure she said entropian though Dawn, and not ectropian ... but will double check.

The funny thing is that she has had to take her dog to the vets two or three times now as she had runny eyes and the younger vets have said it was conjunctivitis and gave her some cream. She eventually got to see the senior vet, who said it was entropian straight away.

One of my other sister's Italian Spinoni had entropian a number of years ago and had to have an op for it :?

Thanks for asking around Dawn, and I will get back to you tomorrow.
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thanks Kirsty.

The entropion I have seen was very painful for the dog, it didnt get better it was a constant source of irritation and pain, it makes you wonder doesnt it.

If I find out any more Ill let you know. Have you seen the pup? You can see entropion by turning the eyelids back outwards, you can then see the lashes irritating the eye ball, maybe wit your dog experience you could see it.
  16. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    A senior vet said Biff (cross breed) had entropian when he was about 9 months as he had had a couple of bouts of conjunctivits...he even talked about operating. It wasn't and he didn't ....I had forgotten all about that til now...
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Mmmm sounds as though another opinion could be necessary before and surgery is considered. Im sure Kirsty's sister will do the right thing. Where abouts does she live Kirsty, up there in Scotland? One of the Vets I know has a practice in Scotland.
  18. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    I had a GSP bitch in 1996 that was diagnosed with entropian at about 8 months of age. Her lower lids and lashes were folding inwards and irritating her eyeball. The vet said if it wasn't corrected she would go blind eventually. We were referred to the Potters Bar veterinary college, where as a temporary measure they put some stitches in just below her lower lids to pull the lashes out. This was until she finished growing as it was apparently unwise to correct it until then. The plan was to take 2 crescent shaped sections out below her eyes, but when the time came she didn't need it as she had "grown" into her face.
  19. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I think entropian must be a really awful horrid condition to have - can imagine it being unpleasant all the time :(
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Glad she is now, thanks for your input.

One vet has said that entropian can be caused by secondary infection, that the original cause, i.e conjunctivitis has not be cured entirely,repeated bouts of conjunctivitis cause the eyelid to roll in, once it has been sorted the eyes shoud return to normal, more likely in this case as they eyes were not always like it.
  21. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Mya had this, Kirsty - fortunately it was sorted with drops, so no need to go under the knife just yet.....