Border Terriers...what are they like then? General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Ramble, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    thanks, i've been doing some reading and some sources suggest they may be. we're pretty much set on having an airedale when we're married, but we;re going to meet a pack of 6 first to check his reaction. if we decide on a bt for the other dog (do you think they'd be a good match?) then i guess we'll do the same thing to see if they are good for allergy sufferers.
    are they low shedding if handstripped? i'm planning to handstrip my airedale when i get it too
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You have to hand strip when they are ready, you cant just keep doing it, it will really hurt them. The undercoat is soft and fluffy as I would imagine it is on an Airedale and any other "stripped" Terrier breed. I would think they would all be as suitable as eachother really, except Airedales are much bigger of course! :)

Its National Terrier championship show next Saturday at Bingley hall, Stafford, why not pop along if you can, be a great opportunity to meet loads of Borders and Airedales.
  4. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    I always remember my aunty bred and showed BT's and the male she had was a right terror to other dogs but apart from that they were great fun to play with (I must of been about 10ish) they would play all day and then come for cuddles in the evening!!
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Any pics? Scanned I assume? but would love to see any if you have any. :)
  6. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    was that to me bd?
    I'll have to ask my mum whether she has any- it was my aunty on my dads side and I havnt seen her in years so will do some digging!- I know we took alot when i was younger-its just whether we still have them!!
  7. Fi

Fi New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I used to walk a border terrier. She was lovely - if a little willful. Totally ball obsessed so you could use that to make her do anything.

We used to walk back next to a river and she would only ever drop her ball right over the river. I went in once to fish one out and lost a couple that way. I'm sure she thought it was hilarious.

Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    and another one I photographed once
    [​IMG]
  8. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Wish I could, I think I'm at another show that day. I wish I'd been able to go crufts, could have met loads too then!
    The more I look into them (being doing as much research as I can) the more I'm convinced that if my husbands isn't allergic, then I'd like to get one (or 2, lol), I do think it'd be lovely to perhaps have a dale and a border, they could keep each other amused!!
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Yes please! :grin:
    She was beautiful, thanks for the pics, appreciated.:grin:
  10. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Re the allergic thing..I am very very allergic to cats and mildly allergic to dogs. I get through it by ensuring I hoover the whole of downstairs everyday and mop. We only have carpet in one room. If I don't do that and wash their beding regulary I do start to get wheezy and sneezy. I don't mind though as I don't like to think of the house smelling doggy anyway!!!!
    You can also slowly build up an immunity to some allergens by gradual exposure.

How severe is your OH's allergy? Would taking antihistamines and keeping everywhere hair free help?
  11. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    After being a non-small dog person for a very long time, I have now fallen very much in love with my sister's very cute border terrier bitch :)
  12. Squeaker

Squeaker New Member

Name:
    Liv
    We have had our little Baby BT for about 3 months now and she is just adorable. Compared to other breeds I have owned I have found her to be very quick to learn (excluding GSDs), particularly with obedience. She is the friendliest little thing and loves dogs and people (especially kiddies). She has a huge personality, I can't wait to see how she turns out as she gets older. Oh yeah and heaps of energy, she loves to run with you, and run, and run, and run... and chase balls, and chew sticks, and eat leaves, and pick on the cats... she never stops and I love it.

Keep us posted!
  13. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I have a 10 month old BT, Tarn and she is my first foray into the terrier world. I've always liked them and why my OH wanted a terrier for work, I immediately planted the idea of a BT. She really is a sweetheart and a lot easier than I thought she would be.

She is incredibly intelligent and is very quick to pick up training. She is sooo laid back around the house and is great around our 10 month old son, as well as my 3 year old nephew. She loves playing with the cat and actually plays like a cat! She loves playing with the other dogs, although they aren't keen and she usually ends up getting trampled, bless her.

She has been going through a phase of chasing stuff but we are getting there with her.

Can't see us being without one now as they are such a great breed and would certainly recommend them.

Helen
  14. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    any pictures helen? we'd love to see her!
  15. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Tarn and Sam:

[​IMG]

Tarn and Scribble:

[​IMG]
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    She is lovely I have a "Tarn" Border too! :)

Whats her breeding helen? (If you dont mind me asking of course)
  17. pjkobulnicky

pjkobulnicky New Member

Name:
    Paul
    To get back to the question asked ... best terrier breed thus far for me. All terriers get into trouble and have to be handled with a steady hand and a sense of humor. But, Borders have several traits that make them really great among terriers.

1. They are the easiest to train. They are food nuts so you can train them with little treats.

2. They like people and are really stable (for terriers) around people. Ours was socialized heavily as a pup and now he is even great with very young children. He never snaps nor treats people as something to terrier'ize.

3. They are relatively easy to keep groomed and clean. It took me two hours to strip ours out of his winter "rasta" coat and he loves water so he will stand to get a bath if necessary.

4. He has not yet injured one of our cats and, in fact, will share his bed with our big calico when it is cold.

So ... much more people oriented and much less terrier-instinctive that our previous terriers.
  18. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Not at all Dawn. One side Houndshope and Otterbobs, the other side, Darling Dandy, Clovenfords Lad, Whytbank Christmas Rose.

Helen
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Im fond of the heads on the Otterbobs Helen, some crackers!!! Best of luck with her.
  20. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    BT's are a breed I never really noticed or thought about before. As a kid my piano teacher had one - it was crazy! prob something to do with 3 teenage sons in her house winding it up. This I think put me off.
    Recently I've been walking with my friends old boy BT who is the most stable boy I've ever met. His only down side is his recall. He doesn't run away and is never more than 20ft away - just gets side tracked with smells. Also about 2 week ago I met the most adorable delightful 6 month old girl called Betty who completely won me over. I ended up on a walk with her (never met owner before!) she was so balanced yet full of life. I want her! not seen her since.
  21. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    i think its great you got to meet more stable examples, they sound lovely!