Standard Poodle - What coat colours? Questions

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by scorpio, Apr 22, 2009.

1. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree

Standard Poodle - What coat colours?

Since seeing this adorable puppy on our walks I have been reading a bit about them...I understand they should have good temperaments and be full of character...which sounds lovely. The good thing is that they don't moult, (thinking about Clive here)...and they are largish dogs which is what I like.

I am not doing anything for the foreseeable future but just like to find out as much as possible when something interests me so, where better to ask the question than here on Dogsey? ;-)

Does anyone know all the colours they come in and/or have photos of the colours...the breed website just gives details but no actual photos. Also, does anyone have any photos of the different clips they come in?

A big ask I know but I would love to see them and satsify my curiousity
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    hey, there are a few pictures here
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=99055

I think they come in black, silver, apricot, white and brown/liver
    im not entirely sure on that though or whether that they are correct colours or not.
  4. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    They are on my wish list too! For one day ! :)

I think they are very underestimated dogs. Supposed to make great companions and are highly intelligent.
    I am no expert on them at all but will watch this thread with inerest!
  5. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Thanks for that...very interesting :grin:
  6. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Aww, I went onto a couple of websites and looked at the puppies...now I'm really broody again and can't do anything about it..I really must control myself when it comes to research :lol:
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    The breed standard says all solid colours and they can go from black through silvers, greys (blue), apricot, cream, white and brown. On top of that you can get the Parti's, tan points and brindles although not many in this country!
    Click here for poodle colours.
    Hope that helps!
    Becky
  8. skilaki

skilaki

Name:
    -
    There is a std poodle at the training class I go to, she is called Diva and lives up to her name! A right character.
  9. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I have 2 Standard ones next door and they are lovely, very clever and friendly. Great dogs :)
  10. Skyesmum

Skyesmum New Member

Name:
    Jann
    I walk with my friend every day and her standard and my collie are the very best of friends :grin: they are not interested in any other dogs, just want to be together :grin:
    He is an apricot cream, a real softy, beautiful temperament, but they can be very willfull and my friend says the bitches are easier than the males ;-) (she had a black standard bitch for 15yrs)

Hector and Skye

[​IMG]
  11. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    I've always loved standards - much more than the smaller ones - they always look so regal - fab dogs :D
    [​IMG]
  12. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Thanks so much everyone, and thanks for the gorgeous piccy..aren't they just adorable.

I don't think I could ever be without an English Setter but we have already discussed that next time, and once I'm over losing my others, and if we ever move, we will have two so that they are company for each other...looks like a standard poodle may well suit as they sound almost as potty as the setters :grin:
  13. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I know some of you wont approve of this but here are some links of poodles doing what poodles love doing and performing.

First clip is from 1967 I think!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBHYH02rzmQ
    Conformation wasn't very good but note the tan point :002:

This one is mainly standards, not sure about the handstand but tails are wagging!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTC4VfU1FU

I've been unable to find the video if the poodle act on an American talk show which was pretty amazing!
    Becky
  14. youngstevie

youngstevie

I love the Standards, my late Aunt always had one, kept them for many many years. Her last one was black and he was the funniest dog I have ever met....such a character:lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    It just proves to me how clever these dogs are :038:
  16. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    There are quite a few in Agility these days, two come to my club who are wonderful examples of the breed for character, oozing with intelligence, zest, everything really :grin:
    These two are also Show dogs and do competitive Obedience as well :grin:

Here they are at training last Sunday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    wow, love seeing dogs doing active things like that!! i do like a standard in puppy-type clip, don't like the pom poms, not for me. saw a gorgeous white male standard the other day, lovely regal lad :D
  18. Magic

Magic New Member

Name:
    Magic
    I've never had one, but all the ones I have ever come across had one thing in common - bags and bags of character, I absolutely love them - reckon they would be a real fun dog to own! :grin:
  19. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    I raised a litter of St. poodles, and their Mom. she was a beautiful little silver female, bred to a white stud, there were 6 pups in all, 2 white, 2 silver and 2 black. they were wonderful pups, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I still groom and look after one of the pups and see 2 others on a regular basis. they turned out beautifully. I am training one for tracking, and agility. the Mom was a therapy dog and obedience competitor. I would love to train one for field work (retrieving) as that's what they were meant to do. Poodles are very intelligent, and comedians at heart. they love to make you laugh... they are also not for everyone... that intelligence can turn destructive, if not harnessed. they need to be kept active and busy... or look out!

Here's some pics I have of poodles:
    Calley and her 1 week old babies
    [​IMG]

Missy, one of Calley's babies all grown up
    [​IMG]

A chocolate poodle that a friend of mine is fostering.... It's too bad I have a height limit... he woulda' been mine!
    [​IMG]

Missy in bad need of a haircut
    [​IMG]

Missy after I groomed her
    [​IMG]
  20. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Oh thanks for that Patch...they are stunning. :grin: We bumped into little Dillon again last night..he is 14 weeks old now and grwoing nicely...he came bouncing over to Leon and kept running away from his owner to follow us..he is just adorable and if they all have temperaments like him then they are certainly a breed I would seriously consider in the future. :grin:
  21. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Thanks Sara, what wonderful photos, you must be very proud of the way they have turned out. The setters are very naughty so I am well used to naughtiness...they sound like a lot of fun to have sharing your life :grin: