Yellow Flat Coats? Controversial

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Wyrd, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    She was not trying :roll:

Yes please, me and the the thousands of others who watch and visit, thanks..

How many of yours . make it to old age ..

BTW you forgot to answer any of my questions

What generation of "new breed" are you on, f1/f2/f3.

How old is the oldest Flat Coat , you have bred.

Put your money where your huge mouth is and give us some statistics of your breeding practices.

Better get the soup on folks, we have a right one here, some of the rubbish she is spouting is bizarre, re-writing history for all dog breeds... she must have a few story tellers also in her very influential family of Geneticists, Medical doctors and Veterinarians:lol: :lol:

It may also escape your notice, but one does not need to breed for a pet market, as most of a litter will go to pet homes, not show homes.

And usually those breeding for a pet market (like yourself) have not got a clue about what goes into breeding healthy dogs... as your own site proves it.

There is a saying.......a fool and his money, and sadly those fools find people like you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Have a bowl of soup, while you wait for the poster to recharge her batteries of her make believe machine!

All I can say is, thank god she is in the US and not here, at least she cant dupe anyone on this side of the pond:roll:
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    just read through this thread and my answer probably wont be important now :lol:

ive never seen a yellow flattie in the flesh, but i know they do happen (the woman i work for breeds them, and shes taught me alot about the breed)

i love flat coats, hadnt met one before i started working there and they are now one of my favourite dogs :mrgreen:

out of the colours i prefer a black one over a liver one, i know its each to their own, but i think there are some livers out there that look a "bit funny"

as for the types the woman i work for has a couple that are the older heavier type (magic being one of them and she is gorgeous!) but she does have some on the smaller side and i love them too!

i like the broader head, but not too broad, think its safe to say i just love them :mrgreen:

we have a litter at work at the minute and ive helped rear them from the day they were born, ive loved every minute of it, and soooo fell in love with a little girl but theres just no way i can have one yet :lol:

as for the breeder whos breeding yellows, and the "miniature retrievers" i dont agree with it at all. yellow is a fault, so shouldnt be encouraged to be bred. yes they do pop up now and again and no they shouldnt be culled, but they shouldnt be bred from either.

but think i will just finish with i LOVE flatcoats just the way they are,black :lol:
  5. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    The lady you work for breeds exceptionally lovely dogs...and their offspring are also exceptionally lovely and handsome and fun :) ;)
  6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Hey Chloe, CC's orginate from America :mrgreen:
  7. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i know arent they just gorgeous :mrgreen: you should see the puppies! i love them :mrgreen: all her dogs are gorgeous and so perfect temperment wise, not a bad bone in their body, and so well behaved (well as behaved as a flatcoat can be :lol: ) im so happy ive been introduced to the breed, because to be honest if i hadnt of worked there i probably wouldnt really know that much about one or consider owning one :grin: trying to convince the OH to have one now instead of a lab :grin:
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Do you get yellow ones?:002: :mrgreen:
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    mutleys yellow, well yellowy anyway, more blonde with a bit of brown and a bit of mud :grin:

and we get spotty ones, and bald ones, and black ones, and white ones, hairy ones, lots of colour ones, small ones, big fat elephant ones :lol: :lol: :lol: we dont have to worry about colours luckily :lol:
  10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz

Yeah kinda - we have bred a ickle yellow one actually.. who actually has done very well in the ring..took 1st, 2nd an 3rds at both open and champ shows.. BPIB's, BPIS's, BOB's :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Does it means hes healthier :lol: :lol:
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    awww look at the cute squidgy powderpuff puppy!!! i wish daph was a fluufy pup again,,, asbo however.... hmmmm.... hehe i love him really :grin:
  12. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    :shock: Tis Ninja..Hes a HL! how dare ya! Mind he does have a very hairy face although very bald every where else. Im sure you have seen him many a time around the ring, he went to Julie H?
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    haha sorry when the picture came up on my screen it was dead big and i could just see his head and a furry paw :blush: :lol:

yes i know who he is... i love her rumble :grin:
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    I love him to he is my Karmas nephew. I have been offered him at stud to, to Star in a couple of years! only beause she wants something from Star :lol: :p

Not a problem :mrgreen:
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    lets hope theres some black and white hairless in there then, i will have one :mrgreen:
  16. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Haven't got the time to post more but if you'd done your research, cocker rage is associated with certain show lines from the 1980's, of solid colour, namely red, golden and some black, as I understand it. It isn't widespread, and has, for the most part, been bred out, without the need to hybridise ;-)
  17. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    If we go ahead with breeding her full stop far to soon to say if we will. Stars just a year and a half!
  18. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    For Chatham Hill (TM)
    Although rage syndrome is not common it is definitely incorrect to say it does not appear in American cockers. Apparently it is not exclusive to the spaniel family and it also occasionally appears in other breeds as. It has been reported in American cockers, ESPs, and the cocker spaniel as well as Bernese, Chesapekes, English bull terriers, Pryreneans, Dobermans, and St Bernards. From what I understand it can be diagnosed by doing an ECG and is thought to be like epilepsy.
  19. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    It's also present in springers, and given the origins of the breeds, cockers, springers and obviously the American cocker, it almost certainly could be present within that breed, in fact really it has to be, as the Am Cocker is a development from the traditional cocker spaniel.
  20. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I've read most of this thread and would like to know a few things,
    a) Are yellow FCR common in a litter
    b) If the colour is a fault, what happens to the yellow pups, are they sold as pets only?
    c) Maybe I have missed the whole point of this thread, but what on earth is the point of "creating a new breed" of retrievers when we have perfectly good retriever breeds as it is -
    Am I being a bit naive, my dog trainer keeps 2 FCR and they are great dogs, very smart and very good looking dogs, I realised they weren't the breed for me although I really admired them and we got a golden retriever instead.
    I would imagine most pet owners would mistake a yellow FCR for a golden really, and I just don't understand what the Chatham Hill is trying to prove:roll:
  21. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    a) Yellow pups are not common in a litter (Chatham hill claims they represent a third of flatcoats, but that is untrue). I have seen quite a lot of flatcoat litters and I have seen litters of all black pups, some black and some liver within a litter, but I have never seen a yellow flatcoat pup or an adult yellow dog. My own bitch had a litter of ten all black pups).
    b) Yellow is a fault and if the odd yellow pup crops up, any reputable breeder would find a pet home and the pup would go with a non-breeding endorsement).
    c) No point at all (except $ and £). There are plenty of lovely gundog breeds to choose from - dogs which have been carefully bred over many years by devotees of their breed.

To me the flatcoated retriever is a special breed, with very special traits and needs. It is not a breed everyone would understand or get on with - they are not the easy breed some people thing them to be. I also don't understand what she is trying to prove or justify - much of what she is saying does not ring true in my opinion.