This can't be right Controversial

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by liverbird, May 9, 2010.

1. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN
    right click on the pic save to comp up load to photobucket :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    if I were considering another one, I would most likely go to the sort of breeder moobli got her lot from, I like there type.
  4. kirstyS

kirstyS New Member

Name:
    kirsty
    Thats exactly what I thought :103:
  5. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I had to look twice, just to check that I was seeing what I thought I was.

Its disgusting, poor dog.

Can't see why anyone would think that is a good look to breed for. Wonder what the rest of the litter have turned out like.
  6. AllyLambell

AllyLambell

Name:
    closed acct by Ally
    Managed to do that with the pics and now off to spread the word that this cannot continue. Thanks for your help!
  7. liverbird

liverbird New Member

Name:
    KAREN
    :grin: good luck Ally :grin:
  8. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    That is awful, that dog looks deformed! Can't imagine how difficult and uncomfortable walking must be! Truly applauling.
  9. Dachshund

Dachshund New Member

Name:
    Liz
    That poor dog, thats absolutely disgusting! How could anyone claim that dog is a healthy example of the breed...

My parents had a GSD when I was a kid, it was straight backed and a pleasure to own, I have the same thoughts as Loki's mum, I wouldn't even consider one that looked like that
  10. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    That is so sad. The dog looks very similar to how my weimaraner looked when I went to pick her up from the vets. She'd had a battery of tests and Xrays because of a back problem, which turned out to be a slipped disc. The only difference is that she had both back legs in the sitting position, and was like that because she was in pain.Abnd yes, I did cry and almost left my CC in the machine. We carried her to the car and after 3 months of bed rest and pain killers, is now 95% better and has a straight back!!!!

Breeding for deformity is so wrong.
  11. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    yeah, I like those too, but I wouldn't buy a pedigree dog I wouldn't be able to show. Sad that the dogs that are a normal shape are the ones that would get laughed out of the GSD show ring. Bonkers IMO!!!!
  12. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    The worst thing is apart from the coat the breeders are probally proud of her, GSD breeders and showers really need a sharp wake up call IMO, the GSD is a breed that does create a lot of emotion, whether its how the dogs are bred, or how the showers act, something does need to be done to help the dogs, and let the people who own and breed these dog see what they are doing to the dogs, not what they want to see, but what everybody else can see when they look at them, and I think that the dogs that would currently be laughed out of the ring should actually be encouraged to go, and placed in shows too.
  13. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Sadly that won't happen. As long as dogs with these exaggerations are being placed in groups (and winning BIS etc.) the breeders will continue on the path they are on. It's breeds like the GSD that make people anti showing and anti pedigree. I so wish they would do something about it - it has to start with the judges though, giving top honours to less exaggerated dogs, then the breeders will strive for that.
  14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Totally agree! :cry:
    ..and if I was going to buy this breed, I would go for working lines!
  15. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Its such a shame though, judges do have a big effect on breeds, as many people do breed dogs that win, and are meant to be good examples of the bred, well to me working type GSD's are a lot better examples of what a GSD is meant to be, maybe if they refuse to award anything to the dogs that look anything like the one shown in this thread it may help, but then theres always GSD clubs who hold shows, how may still favour this type. The whole thing is very messy though, as I don't think much will stop the breeders breeding for what they want :(
  16. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    This just makes me so sad. Why would people breed a dog to look like this, sorry but imo these people are messed up big time. The poor dog, what a stunning face it has though.
  17. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Good post.

It's such a shame for the dog. She looks absolutely gorgeous at the front. I wonder how long it will be before she has severe hip/joint problems (if she hasn't already).

All 3 of my GSDs are very straight backed and I know that if I was to show them, I'd get abolutely nowhere because they don't have roached backs.

Zane is very tall, very big and powerful with big back leg muscles. His back is strasight almost to the point of being square. Yiannis is of the lower, more bulky body type but still has a straight back.

Jenzi has very long legs (looks really funny on a pup) but is still very straight backed and I'm told, from working lines. She can trot about all day long if she chose to without any problems at all, although she's only done this in the garden whilst out playing with the other dogs. We'll see when she's older just hwo much she can do.

The breeders of that dog in teh picture should be ashamed of themselves. I hope she's not in any pain or discomfort. Also, is that a pinch collar she's wearing? :shock:

Laura xx
  18. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    For goodness sake!! How can this still be condoned by some people! It is heart breaking!!
  19. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I doubt very much if that dog would be placed at a show, the judges are being told it must be fit for purpose or judges will be reprimanded.

It isn't actually at a show is it, do we even know if it is shown at all? I agree it's disgusting. My friend had a GSD years ago and it looked nothing like these.

It would be interesting to watch the breed being judged. I might just have a look when I am at East of England.
  20. hectorsmum

hectorsmum New Member

Name:
    julie
    That poor dog.

I love GSD's but know way would i ever consider one until that sort of deformity is bred out of them.

I've seen how the roach backed one suffer at a young age and its pure cruelty and heartbreaking to see.

These sort of breeders should be ashamed of themselves.
  21. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    That is disgusting! Poor girl :( I cant believe people actually breed for that. All the GSDs I see around here are straight backed, thankfully.