Info on a tibetan terrier please General Chat

Discussion in 'Tibetan Terrier' started by pam2, May 15, 2010.

1. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam

Info on a tibetan terrier please

Does anyone have or had a TT, I met one today but it was being walked by a friend of the owner and they couldn't tell me much about it.
    Just wondered what they were like to live with :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    My Sister had one a few years ago but ended up rehoming it. She works part-time, only about 9 hours a week but when it was left it chewed through doors and ruined her home. It also moulted which she was told they didn't do as she wanted a non-moulting breed.

I think it was just the wrong breed for her as they are quite active dogs (we have seen a few at agility classes) and she is not very active! She now has a Bichon Frise which doesn't moult and just wants to sit on your lap all day and be cuddled which is perfect for her!

I think they need a lot of grooming too. The people I know with 2 TTs who run agility classes didn't bother to brush theirs much and they looked a right mess.
  4. steveyp

steveyp New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    We have a Tibetan Terrier called Misha she has the most personality I've come across in a dog. She bounces around the house, uses the stairs as a racetrack and bulldozes our little cross TT around the garden. She can do a vertical jump onto the garden table or the barbecue (we need an new one!) When she's loose on the field she tears around like a looney, crashing into the other dogs and she will recall only if there's a biscuit on offer. The rest of the time, she's asleep on our laps or the settee which she thinks is hers or chewing toys and bones, she has mega jaws that can chew through anything so we're really glad she leaves the furniture alone! She grumbles and growls (not visciously) if she wants something and barks at anything that moves including the kids moving around upstairs. If I don't brush her every day she drops little bundles of fluff out of her coat all over the place. She is the most amazing dog, so much so that we want two more in the future. :grin:
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Thanks for replies folks, after a little more research I don't think this breed would be a good match to my quite laid back(except in a muddy field!) golden retriever.
    I spoke to a breeder today and she did mention they can be quite high energy at home and don't like to be left alone much.
    To be honest the price put me off too.
  6. steveyp

steveyp New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    I know what you mean about the price, it seems some 'agreement' has been made because everyone charges about the same, one price for kc reg and one for non kc (within £50 ish). Strange...
  7. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    The price for a KC registered pup was £750 which I wasn't expecting to be honest.I have usually had spaniels which are about the £400-£500 mark.
    I have met someone who thought they had a cross TT but they weren't sure, it cost £450!!
  8. steveyp

steveyp New Member

Name:
    Tracey
    I wouldn't pay 450 for a cross, you can get a pedigree without papers for 500ish, which is ok if you don't want to show.
  9. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Bitkin, Azz and Meg like this.
    I'll reply to this thread ...... nearly 4 years late but I can answer a few questions as I have two TTs. They are adorable dogs to live with but I guess I am biased:). They do not moult as such but around the age of 10 months they 'blow' their puppy coat. I use a grooming rake on them at least twice a week which will remove any dead undercoat. They do need a lot of grooming but if you keep on top of it once a week you shouldn't have any problems.
    I left their coats naturally long for some time (as in my avatar photo) but now scissor trim them into a 'puppy-cut' which makes life a lot easier and they don't seem to bring in as much debris on their coats any more.:023: They have a great sense of humour and are incredibly loyal dogs. I love adore this breed:041:
  10. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Jenny likes this.
    I saw two TT puppies in town a few weeks ago, and their owner was already absolutely besotted and so proud! She was incredibly impressed that I knew what they were, but that is all down to you Jenny:grin:
  11. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Thanks Bitkin .... TT owners are always amazed when people know what breed they are. Mind you when Rucksack was younger so many people said to me what a lovely Bearded Collie. He did look like one until he was about 10 months old.:lol: